Thread: Which product to start with?

Default Which product to start with?

I think I have the basic system down for addressing Vachetta leather.. 1) Hydrate 2) Fatliquor 3) Hydrate 4) Protect Then it seems like there are options to do before "pre treat", and to do after, "post treat". Since so many issues are hard to decipher and also overlap, I often don't know what to do first. My rule of thumb thus far has been if the vachetta is dry at all, some cracking, I always do the main system first.. hydrate, fatliquor, hydrate. Please confirm that my basic understanding after reading the ton of information you have is correct. Thank you.

Next, can you please tell me where to start addressing issues on each of the 4 bags I am posting. This will help me to reference back in the future and also to test my knowledge if where I would have started was right or wrong.

Finally, if I make a mistake in the order of addressing issues, is it safe to say that I can always return to the basic system of hydrate, fatliquor, hydrate, in order to start over?

The 4 bags are as follows: Bag#1) Speedy 40 Bag#2) Speedy 30 Bag#3) Speedy 25 Bag#4) Name:  Speedy 25.JPG
Views: 441
Size:  1.45 MBName:  Speedy 30.JPG
Views: 420
Size:  1.29 MBName:  Speedy 40 (1).JPG
Views: 359
Size:  1.52 MBName:  Alma.JPG
Views: 341
Size:  2.18 MB

>>> I think I have the basic system down for addressing Vachetta leather..
    1) Hydrate 2) Fatliquor 3) Hydrate 4) Protect.
    2) Then it seems like there are options to do before "pre treat", and to do after, "post treat".
    3) Since so many issues are hard to decipher and also overlap, I often don't know what to do first.
    4) My rule of thumb thus far has been if the vachetta is dry at all, some cracking, I always do the main system first.. hydrate, fatliquor, hydrate.
    5) Please confirm that my basic understanding after reading the ton of information you have is correct. Thank you.

The rule of thumb for vachetta leather is to prevent existing cracking to exaggerate or amplify or make worse. Remember that leather when wet and becomes dry again with insufficient fatliquor will shrink and the leather structure becomes stiff and when mishandle will crack it. Always allow the leather to completely dry only after sufficient Fatliquor-5.0 is replenished. Hydrator-3.3 is used as a post fatliquor cleaning up and leave to slow drying. Massaging from almost dry to dry helps prevent existing cracks to worsen.

Once the leather is sufficiently fatliquored up to the average of 14% fat and oil content when dry the other issues can be handle much safer. Post treatment especially removing the body oil, grease and sweat may proceed safely. Remember that degreasing also removes fatliquor thus, replenishing it continues after degreasing. See the Vachetta Leather Problem Solving Matrix.

Name:  vachetta2-v-.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  452.0 KB

>>> Finally, if I make a mistake in the order of addressing issues, is it safe to say that I can always return to the basic system of hydrate, fatliquor, hydrate, in order to start over?

Always remember that the (fatliquor - fat and oil) content is always at its optimum level and the leather will be free from cracking - it is then safe to address any issues according to the matrix. Do you understand the sequence in the Vachetta Problem Solving Matrix?

>>> Next, can you please tell me where to start addressing issues on each of the 4 bags I am posting. This will help me to reference back in the future and also to test my knowledge if where I would have started was right or wrong. The 4 bags are as follows: Bag#1) Speedy 40 Bag#2) Speedy 30 Bag#3) Speedy 25 Bag#4)

Picture #1
    Looks like it is colored with uneven wear or peeling - you may want to stripped it off with Stripper-2.3 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system and see why the cover up. If it is body oil, grease and sweat issue use Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. Other issue like darkening of the leather is address with Vachetta-2.8 when dry for a redox (reduction-oxidation) reaction lightening effect.

Picture #2
    Over dryness of fatliquor (fat and oil) contents leads to cracking and dry rot. Any bonding or impregnation repairs will darkens it appearance. And pigment-coloring refinishing may be an option to conceal the repairs.

Picture #4
    The darkening effect is due to alkaline cleaning products - cleaning vachetta leather with a pH value higher then 7 will darken or char or scorch the leather. The darkening effect is rectified with VachettaPro-1.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system in the wet process and using Vachetta-2.8 to lighten up when the leather is fatliquor replenished sufficiently to average14% prior to treatment to prevent stiffness that leads to cracking.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information