Thread: Aniline Leathercraft sofa and sectional- is restoring worth it?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Aniline Leathercraft sofa and sectional- is restoring worth it?

Hi-

I have a secondhand sofa and loveseat set in what I assume is unprotected Aniline leather. It was in pretty much this condition when we got it, though I have attempted to clean and protect it a couple times unsuccessfully.

It has quite a bit of staining, grey blotches etc. I was able to remove some ink and a few other stains. I did a bunch of research and found what i thought was a good leather repair company with lots of videos and products. Unfortunately, their stuff did very little to my sofa, it left a bunch of light blotches in some areas but didn't do much in others- and my attempt to repair the cracking didn't work hardly at all, it only adhered in a few spots and the rest started peeling up as soon as i used their super fine sandpaper to brush over it even without pressure.
    It does have scratches as well, and the test area i attempted to use some dye on just made the scratches more noticeable so i have a feeling the dye isn't a good choice either. Decided to do more research instead of continuing, and came across this forum.

Mainly the loveseat cushions (one in particular) are in bad shape. I am wondering if this set is repairable at all, or if even that cushion in particular is? I haven't yet looked into replacing the top of that one but maybe that's all I'll be able to do?
    Anyway- I'd like to know if you think this set is worth restoring, and if so, what products do i need and how many steps am I looking at? I am a bit trepidatious because i do much better with watching something being done vs following written instructions but I am willing to try since i like this set and think it has good bones.

Name:  IMG_3482.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  69.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3469.jpg
Views: 822
Size:  129.7 KB
    Name:  IMG_3493.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  209.3 KB
    Name:  IMG_3492 (1).jpg
Views: 796
Size:  165.2 KB