Thread: Restoration Hardware - Brompton Leather Couch - Dog Scratches!

Default Restoration Hardware - Brompton Leather Couch - Dog Scratches!

Roger,

We just spoke on the phone about my Brompton leather Couch (color cocoa) from Restoration hardware.

My dog severely scratched and dug into one of the cushions and we do not have anyone in town to fix it for us. Please see attached photos to determine which kit would help me fix the leather best.

I believe they are just surface scratches. I don't see any tearing and the leather still feels soft just not as waxy.

Thank you,

Name:  IMG_1537.JPG
Views: 9443
Size:  2.16 MB

Name:  IMG_1538.JPG
Views: 5452
Size:  2.14 MB

Name:  IMG_1539.JPG
Views: 3564
Size:  3.95 MB

Name:  IMG_1540.JPG
Views: 3351
Size:  2.51 MB

Name:  IMG_1541.JPG
Views: 3239
Size:  1.93 MB

Name:  IMG_1542.JPG
Views: 3377
Size:  2.19 MB

>>> We just spoke on the phone about my Brompton leather Couch (color cocoa) from Restoration hardware.

Restoration Hardware Wax pull-up leathers derive its color from dyestuff and effect wax that gives the leather a lively distressed look. When this leather is pulled, stretched or scratched, the waxes dissipate characteristically and become lighter in those areas. Sunlight and stretching through high wear areas are two main indications that the infused wax needs replenishing. As is, effect wax behaves just like the primary fatliquor they do diminish through ageing and will need periodic replenishing. Besides contributing to the color intensity, it improves in water shedding effect. Effect wax when applied to the leather penetrates while some transforms into fine cloudy crystal and remains on the surface. The dried surface white powdery deposits are then heat activated and when they melt, they coat the surface with a glossy sheen. In a restorative care cycle a urethane gloss topcoats is applied to restore its original appearance. In every of these kits there is a bottle of EffectWax-8.6 to work in conjunction with other system products in a holistic approach for maintaining or restoring this unique characteristic only to aniline wax pull-up leathers.

>>> I believe they are just surface scratches. I don't see any tearing and the leather still feels soft just not as waxy.

Finishes restoration is with this Kit-Aw6.tc
    Name:  Kit-Aw6.tc.JPG
Views: 3202
Size:  1.89 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw6...finishing-kit/

Any repairs to the leather structure will need Bond-3D

Further questions you may have?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Default Similar Question on Restoration Hardware Maxwell Couch in Italian Berkshire

Hi Roger,

Thanks for talking with me on the phone today about RH couch restoration. Our dog decided to do some scratching on the seat cushion and we need to try to restore it. The couch is RH and has Italian Berkshire leather. As you can see there is a good deal of discoloration in the scratched area. What kit and steps/approach would you recommend? Thanks much Roger, Mike.

Name:  Couch 1.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  63.0 KBName:  Couch 2.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  73.3 KBName:  Couch 3.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  82.3 KB

Restoring the discoloration caused by scratching without physical damage to the leather would require a holistic approach with Restoration Hardware Wax Pull-Up Leather Topcoat Refinishing Kit RW6.tc.

The product system will bring back close to the original appearance depending much on Hydrator 3.3, Fatliquor 5.0, Wax Pull Up 8.6, and Aniline Gloss Topcoat 76G. The rest are the support systems to achieve the best result.

Here is the copy and paste from the link, read more from there for a better understanding . . .

The entire holistic system comprises a "wet phase" and a "dry phase." In the "wet phase" from steps 1* to 3*, the leather is kept constantly wet until it slowly dries, ending at Fatliquor 5.0. In the "dry phase" from steps *4 to *6, the leather has to be completely dry before proceeding to the next step, which ends at Protector D. Once this step is complete, the leather is immediately ready to be used.

"Wet Phase"

1* Degreasing is performed by Degreaser 2.2 and Acidifier 2.0 systems.

2* Cleaning is performed by Clean 3.8 and Rinse 3.0 systems

3* Softening is performed by Hydrator 3.3 and Fatliquor 5.0 systems.

"Dry Phase"

4* Wax Pull-Up is performed by Wax Pull Up 8.6 systems.

5* Top Coat is performed by Aniline Top 76G systems.

6* Protection is performed by Protector D or Protector D Plus systems.

Name:  Kit_Aw6.tc__98976__67469.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  184.5 KB
    https://leatherdoctor.com/restoratio...ng-kit-rw6-tc/

Any physical damages that need a leather structure repair will require
    Leather Repair Kit A8.r

https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-repair-kit-a8-r/

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator