Thread: Help! Save my Drying lambskin Chanel bag!

Default Help! Save my Drying lambskin Chanel bag!

I am audrey from Singapore. I read your website Leather Doctor with great interest.

I've got a vintage lambskin Chanel bag that's heartbreakingly dry

Could you help me have a look at the attached photo and suggest what I could do to improve its situation?

Name:  IMG_1818.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  2.03 MB

Leather structural dryness is the result of diminishing original fatliquor (ionic negative -ve charged fat and oil). Since it is a volatile organic compound it may just evaporates from heat or leach-out (or break the hydrogen bond with the leather protein fiber) when the leather pH chemistry deviated from the average pH 3 to 5 (especially from fermenting body sweat). This condition looks more of evaporating fatliquor from heat, thus a periodic care level may be sufficient as there is not much of soiling that is of concern.

Periodic Care is copy and paste from
    Name:  Kit-A3.JPG
Views: 439
Size:  1.53 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...ther-care-kit/

Periodic Care:

Periodic care is recommended before soiling causes damages to the finishing. This keeps leather consistently clean and healthy at all times. Body contact areas would require more frequent attention than the unused areas. While the leather headrest, hand rest, handles etc. gets the most of body oil and sweat contacts by . . .

1st step – General Cleaning:

Instruction . . .

1- Spray Clean-3.8 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1; ensuring a uniform application over the entire surfaces a section at a time.
    2- Towel extract until it shows clean.
    3- Remaining residues are spray rinse with Rinse-3.0 and towel extract to a squeaky-clean.
    4- Let dry and inspect for satisfaction, otherwise repeat cleaning process as necessary or proceed to hydrating. Hydrating is essential to relax and separate the stick together collapsing fibrous structure. Moreover, it is used to check for surface tension from blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing by . . .

2nd step – Hydrating:

Instruction . . .

1- Spray Hydrator-3.3 to check for an even appearance. Fatliquor evaporates as VOC (volatile organic compound) when temperature rises especially from exposed surfaces. Periodic fatliquoring maintains the leather’s structure integrity and pliability thus strengthen these exposed leather from cracking by . . .

3rd step – Fatliquoring:

Instruction . . .

1- Spray Fatliquor-5.0 in like manner as Hydrator-3.3 and let dry naturally.
    2- Repeat application in-between drying until saturated.
    3- The leather is left for slow natural drying for extra softness.
    4- Surface strays are wiped with Hydrator-3.3 to free of sticky residue and let to natural drying.

4th step – Protecting:

Instruction . . .

1- Mist sprays Protector-B spread with lint free towel and is ready for use when dry.

More details of
    Hydrator-3.3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/

Fatliquor-5.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information