Thread: Non-skid dog blanket adhered to leather couch

Default Non-skid dog blanket adhered to leather couch

Hi all:

I recently purchased a fairly expensive couch-protecting dog bed. It has a non-slip backing (similar to a rug pad or bath mat) that is supposed to keep it from shifting or falling off the furniture. My dog loves it, and for the first few weeks I had it, I just vacuumed around it.

Only when I removed it to clean under the couch cushions did I realize with horror that its non-slip backing had adhered to the leather. The couch is Flexsteel with semi aniline dark brown leather. I have contacted the dog bed company (Orvis); they in the process of sending my photos around to various departments. So far, they have no suggestions and nothing to say except they have never had a report of anything like this happening. (I fear this will be their main defense: "it's never happened before so it's not our fault".)

I can say there were no spills or accidents involved. The furniture and dog bed did not get wet or damp at any time. The couch is about 4 years old; I've cleaned it on occasion with a barely damp rag.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I can remove this rubbery backing, I would be forever grateful. The finish is already clearly lifted off in spots and damaged. But if I can get the backing off, I think I can restain it with something like Fiebings leather dye.
    Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  144.2 KBName:  IMG_2285 (1).JPG
Views: 413
Size:  129.6 KBName:  IMG_2281 (1).JPG
Views: 340
Size:  679.2 KBName:  IMG_2279 (1).JPG
Views: 254
Size:  118.2 KB

See this Semi-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Matrix / Instruction / Guide rows #B10 - Chewing Gum & others
    Sequence of step.

Name:  pigmented-p.sa-semi-aniline-micro-pigmented.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  320.4 KB

You may do a test a on a corner as follows:

1- Prep-7.7 is applied in conjunction with horsehair leatherBrush-1 and let it dwell up to an hour.
    2- Use leather Eraser-4 and erase off the unwanted delaminated backing clean and towel extract until surface shows clean.
    3- Spray Clean-3.8 use Brush-1 remove remaining residue until towel shows clean.
    4- Spray Rinse-3.0 and towel extract until towel shows clean and that the leather surface results in a squeaky feel.
    5- If a tacky-feel instead remains, the tackiness may be treated with Acidifier-2.0 until tackiness is eliminated.
    6- Persistent tackiness is rectified with a renew top coating using MicroTop-54 (matching luster normally using the satin luster) with up to 10% Crosslinker-25 (see Finish Problem on row# D1).
    7- Tackiness problem is further reduce with a Non-Stick protection with Protector-B/B+
    8- Note: Any finishes that is damages is restored with Kit-Sa7.cl in the worse scenario . . .

Kit-Sa7.cl Semi-Aniline / Micro-Pigment Leather color Refinishing Kit.

Name:  Kit-Sa7.cl.JPG
Views: 244
Size:  1.38 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-sa7...finishing-kit/

Let me know if you like to give it a try of my propose recommendation.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information