Thread: 2001 European market Jetta seats, on a 2004 Golf.

Default 2001 European market Jetta seats, on a 2004 Golf.

Hi Roger,

I came across your posts in the leather doctor forums, and decided I would email your directly after being overwhelmed by the product selection on your website.

My predicament -I left my windows open during a flash thunderstorm, interior was got soaked... and then it got hot for the next two days, with insufficient AC to dry out the car. As a result, about 50% of the front seat bottoms have damaged leather, dried up and wrinkled, stiff.

Can you recommend a product or products (kit?) that would best suit my needs? I've used Leatherique products in the past and was planning to refinish some faded/cracked areas with wetsanding and their crack filler and dye. Now I have an excuse to pull the seats out of the car and get busy, since the leather needs to be rehydrated before I can consider doing any more work.

I can send pictures and additional details once you respond.

Thanks in advance for your time, really hoping you can rescue me here! Feeling pretty bummed out about the damage.

Cheers,

Mark

Name:  JPEG_20170803_190743_1459875711.jpg
Views: 720
Size:  6.45 MB

Name:  JPEG_20170803_190758_659244164.jpg
Views: 730
Size:  6.11 MB

>>> As a result, about 50% of the front seat bottoms have damaged leather, dried up and wrinkled, stiff.

The leather structure will need to be work out first - to strength the ionic positive (+ve) charge of the leather protein fiber to that it will hydrogen bond with the Fatliquor-5.0 more effectively. This process is achieve by CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. As the finishes is damaged it would be shaved off while the leather is in the Hydrator-3.3 dwelling or hydrating process. Finishes is easier to remove with less leather crust damages while the crust is strengthen and the finishes is weaken during the dwelling process.

>>> Can you recommend a product or products (kit?) that would best suit my needs? I've used Leatherique products in the past and was planning to refinish some faded/cracked areas with wetsanding and their crack filler and dye.

The first stage of restoration is rejuvenating the leather structure, it has to gain suppleness thereafter, otherwise finishes repairs may be short live as the leather begins to cracks without sufficient fatliquor (ionic charged fat and oil up to 15% of original tannery standard). Crack filling often fail when preparation is not done properly and the filler selection is not flexible enough when cure. Cracks on high stress areas are best fill with Bond-3D and weaken cracks are impregnated structurally with Impregnator-26. Bond-3D is work with Bond-5C to increase viscosity for better filling and Bond-7A to work over to level and smooth without the need of sanding.

Recommend system products for rejuvenating the leather structure for suppleness is with Kit-At5.ws
    Name:  Kit-at5.ws.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  3.08 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-at5...storation-kit/

Refinishing will require Kit-Ap7.cl
    Name:  Kit-A7.cl.JPG
Views: 688
Size:  1.42 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ap7...finishing-kit/

Products mentioned are available individually.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

thanks a lot for sharing. I'm having a 2005 Golf and i really love this ideas of yours but i'm running low of money because i got lots of steroids because of issues. anyway i might come back with updates later. can i ask questions if anything? thanks!
    Last edited by Quabluninfor82; 11-10-2018 at 07:19 AM.

You are welcome with questions.

Post pictures as well . . .

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information