Thread: Sticky Leather Couch Problem-Bicast?

Default Sticky Leather Couch Problem-Bicast?

My wife and I purchased a used leather couch about 15 months ago. We absolutely love it. However, about 5 months ago we began to have problems with a sticky area on the seating that has now about doubled in size. It is so sticky it will tear fibers off a blanket if it is left on the couch. The area feels very rough compared to the rest of the couch. We have tried cleaning it numerous times (Lexol, and then Leather Honey). After doing some searching I found this forum, and now I wonder if A) the leather is bicast, and B) what the remedy might be? Really appreciate any help as we really like this couch. Thanks!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

>>> and now I wonder if A) the leather is bicast,

Yes! This is bicast and typically has stickiness issue like you mentioned.

>>> and B) what the remedy might be?

The typical urethane topcoat has deteriorated and becomes hydrophilic. A new ‘cross-linking’ topcoat to tie up the water element will solve the stickiness problem. And so far from this forum, there is yet to know of any reoccurrence. When done according to instruction it will return your bicast to another useful life cycle.

Name:  Kit-B7+.JPG
Views: 1876
Size:  1.74 MB
    Kit-B7+ Bicast Leather Sticky Topcoat Refinishing Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit-B7+ is an upsize version of Kit-B7 with double the cleaning coverage and topcoat refinishing formulated to restore the common sticky problem associated with Bicast and Simulated urethane finished leathers. Owner often describes the sticky problem as follows: The finish has gone dull on the seating areas and any material comes in contact sticks to it. The finishes feels a bit rubbery but after 5mins of sitting clothing were stuck to it. The location that suffers tackiness also reveals roughness to the touch. When sitting down and getting up, there is the sound of tape pulling and you can actually see a pattern on the couch from the jeans. If these experiences sound familiar then this kit is the answer. New product introduced is the CleanPro-1.5 (pH 1.5), which takes care of the general non-body contact areas, follows with Acidifier-2.0 as rinse. This restorative cleaning both removes foreign contamination and reduces stickiness at the same time. Stripping the surface contamination including conditioners and protectors to the original finishes is done by Degreaser-2.2 with the help of Eraser-4 for better traction to removed surface materials. Suspended soiling is towel extracted and rinse with Acidifier-2.0. Sanding helps reduce surface roughness if any and the dust free surface is ready to receive a new topcoat. A 10% Crosslinker-25 is added to the BicastTop-76G prior to refinishing for extra finish strength from stickiness. The application is dry between coatings until matching up to the original luster level. Protector-B (scentless) imparts a non-stick buttery-feel against sticky soiling and rub-resistant against friction-wear. The optional Protector-B+ extra featurefurther diffuses a leather scent enhancing the leather more sensuously and luxuriously. This starter kit is design as a holistic system, with 3 coatings BicastTop-76G + Crosslinker-25 covers approximately 80 square feet. Optional adds-on and refills are available as individual bottles. Shipping Weight Options: Kit-RTU: 1.7kg is (ready-to-use) version and Kit-Fill:0.9kg (reduced weight in concentrates ratio) version to save on shipping, ease of handling and reduced freezing during winter season. Thus the 250ml bottles need to be cut and fill with distilled water prior to use accordingly.
    Instruction . . .
    Preparation: 1- Protect floor with plastic covering from overspray and drips prior to restorative cleaning and stripping accumulated soiling. 2- CleanPro-1.5 is spray and work with horsehair Brush-1 and Eraser-4 and towel extracted until towel shows clean. 3- Use the Eraser-4 sponge side for normal cleaning and the crepe side for extra scrub from embedded materials. 4- Degreaser-2.2 is used in combination on the body contact oil and grease areas especially to the headrest and the hand-rest. 5- Shake the Degreaser-2.2 from separation to gel prior to use. 6- Apply by brushing with Brush-1 and/or scrubbing with Eraser-4 to remove surface soiling. 7- Suspended soiling is extracted with a lint-free towel or cleaning sponge until towel shows clean. 8- Spray Acidifier-2.0, agitate with Brush-1 and Eraser-4 and extract until towel shows clean again. 9- Inspect for reduced tackiness, otherwise spray soaks Towel-T5 with Acidifier-2.0 and place until towel dries for inspection. 10- When dry, sand surface roughness and ensure free of foreign material. 11- Surface is ready for topcoat application when smooth and free of residues.

Refinishing: 1- Empty the Crosslinker-25 25gm bottle (about 10%) into the BicastTop-76G 220gm bottle and swirl very well. 2- Once the topcoat is cross-linked, it is best to used within 8 hours, otherwise it will be cured hard and be useless. 3- Apply by BristleBrush-3” lightly to avoid streaks or finer soft varnishing brushes for streaks free result or airbrushing for professional result. 4- Dabbing with bristle brush reduces streaks as well as using a roller sponge. 5- Steaks are corrected by fine sanding when dry. 6- Use a hair dryer for speed drying in-between coats to satisfaction. 7- Let it overnight cure before non-stick Protector-B application.
    Protection: 1- Protector-B is applied evenly with either foamBrush-3” or Towel-5 and is ready for use when dry. 2- For routine application, a paper towel is recommended to simultaneous soiling extraction.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Ok, so a couple of questions. First, do I only do the treatment in the affected areas, or do I treat the entire couch? Is the smaller size sufficient, or do I need the large size? Do I need the entire kit, or could I just purchase the crosslink/bicast top? I appreciate your assistance with this.

>>> First, do I only do the treatment in the affected areas, or do I treat the entire couch?

Besides rectifying the stickiness, the treated area or section will show a different in luster level like new and old.
    To have an even appearance at least the entire front is recommended.

>>> Is the smaller size sufficient, or do I need the large size?

Rectifying the affected area or at least the front view for even appearance will determine the size you need.

>>> Do I need the entire kit, or could I just purchase the crosslink/bicast top?

In the preparation stage besides removing the lints and debris, to neutralize and pH balance the chemistry integrity is part of the system.
    In the after protection, it will reduce stickiness as well.
    Again all steps and sequence were researched and developed as a holistic system that solves the sticky problem, otherwise you are on your own.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 06-25-2017 at 10:23 AM.

Thread Information