Thread: leather couch

Default leather couch

I have a tan leather couch that my 95 pound lab occupies. Over time he has managed to grind in black mulch, body oils, ect. The previous maid dutifully kept it clean using leather cleaner but subsequent maids were not so diligent. Now it is extremely dirty and the black mulch has ben ground in. I doubt it can be restored like new but what is the best way to try and clean it. I might add that ordinary leather cleaner is now ineffective.

Thanks to all who can offer advice. It is a very nice couch and I hate to replace it.

>>> Over time he has managed to grind in black mulch, body oils, etc.

Degreaer-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system will help you remove the penetrated body oils, etc. A deep removal will need a “reverse-transfer” with the help of Towel-5. This reverse-transfer technique will help to pull the suspended soiling through the Towel-5 instead of being again stick on to the surface of the leather. The amount of soiling peeled off will depends on the Hydrator-3.3 colloidal water movement efficiency. And it may needs a few flooding cycle to remove the suspended soiling entirely. The leather may dry stiff on drying and will need the next stage of leather rejuvenating it.

Leather structural rejuvenating for suppleness is with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. A 15% average content of fatliquor (ionic charged fat and oil) is essential to restore the health of the leather for suppleness from stiffness and cracking.

>>> Now it is extremely dirty and the black mulch has ben ground in. I doubt it can be restored like new but what is the best way to try and clean it.

When all the soiling is move off the surface through the reverse-transfer technique, Eraser-4 is used to erase the surface grain clean. In most cases the topcoat is worn out and most likely the color coating if any is also worn. Depending on the leather finishes it has to match back to original. Example for semi-aniline will need Micro-54 > MicroTop-54 system or if it is aniline then it could be Aniline-76 > AnilineTop-76 system or any of its fashions.

Leather identification is the first step so that any finishes restoration will match the original; otherwise it may be stand out undesirably.

Show some good pictures and we can talk further about the refinishes.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea as to what kind of leather it is. You are right about some of the color coming off. I can see a few spots that upon close inspection, is the loss of color and not black mulch. Will take some pictures but will need a friend to post. So it will take a little time. I do think the couch is worth the trouble as it appearence is not bad.

>>> Will take some pictures but will need a friend to post.

Follow these steps to post . . .
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...30-How-to-Post

Thread Information