Thread: Quanity of product to restore seats?

Default Quanity of product to restore seats?

Hi Roger, I have a 2006 Ford F250 King Ranch and have just recently purchased your Ac7 kit. I have decided to start with the center console and rear head rest before moving on to the main seat areas. I purchased this truck used a couple of years ago and the dealer or previous owner had spayed the seats with some sort of stain or paint that was intended to cover up the worn, damaged and faded areas, it has since started to flake off which has prompted me to do a restoration, at least on the rear seat.... The front driver seat is worn more than I care to try to restore so I have decided to replace the covers on the front seats and armrest. I am concerned though as to how much product it will take. I have just started the process with these three parts and have gone through a full bottle of the Hydrator3.3 and most of the Fat liquor. when I started spraying the Hydrator3.3 the leather just soaked everything like a sponge! I realize the importance of this step but how much should it take? Am I over using it? do you sell it in five gallon buckets?

>>> Hi Roger, I have a 2006 Ford F250 King Ranch and have just recently purchased your Ac7 kit. I have decided to start with the center console and rear headrest before moving on to the main seat areas.

Please show some pictures so that help is more specific.

>>> I purchased this truck used a couple of years ago and the dealer or previous owner had spayed the seats with some sort of stain or paint that was intended to cover up the worn, damaged and faded areas, it has since started to flake off which has prompted me to do a restoration, at least on the rear seat....

Please show some pictures, the unwanted finishes may have to stripped with Stripper-2.3 in a wet continuous system follows immediately with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0. The fatliquor (fat and oil) moisture content has to reach a 15% when dry to prevent accentuated cracking for the lack of fatliquor - fatliquor is the lifeblood of leather and percentage has to be kept at its optimum, in this critical leather dryness situation.

>>> I am concerned though as to how much product it will take. I have just started the process with these three parts and have gone through a full bottle of the Hydrator-3.3 and most of the Fat liquor. When I started spraying the Hydrator-3.3 the leather just soaked everything like a sponge!

See Individual Product Information:
    Hydrator-3.3 http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/
    Fatliquor-5.0 http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/

>>> I realize the importance of this step but how much should it take? Am I over using it?

Leather Approximate Quantity or Percentage of Fatliquor:
    The quantities of fatliquor (fat and oil) contents retained in the leather after an universal tannery fatliquoring process may varies up from 14% to 16% depending on the leather types and it usage. This percentage drops as the fat and oil content diminishes or leaches through ageing, water, heat or chemical overexposure. Leather rejuvenating or fatliquor replenishing is base on weight of the leather in relation to the percentage of remaining fatliquor. A simple calculation of percentage of fatliquor topping up requirement would be as follows: If the weight of the leather in question is 100gm and fatliquor (fat and oil) content meter reading is less than 1%. By applying 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to it will deliver an end result incremental of 13.3% fatliquor when dry as the 66.6% water contents evaporates. In the leather rejuvenating Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system, Hydrator-3.3 plays an important role by relaxing, opening up the inter-fibrillary spaces, facilitating and redistributing colloidal water movement, protonating and doing all the pre-conditioning work prior to fatliquoring including cleaning up any excess surface remnants to have a sticky-free surface. In practice with severe dryness the ratio for Hydrator-3.3 is 2 to 1 of Fatliquor-5.0. It works out to be approximately 160gm of Hydrator-3.3 plus 80gm of Fatliquor-5.0 to replenish a 100gm dry leather from less than 1% back to the original tannery up from 14% to 16% fatliquor content. In every bottle of Fatliquor-5.0 by weight content is comprises of 16.66% ionic negative (-ve) charged fat and oil, and 83.33% of water, the water content that encased the fat and oil molecule in an emulsion suspension when hydrogen bond with the ionic positive (+ve) leather protein fiber will break free and discharged clear from the leather structure to the surface.

>>> Do you sell it in five gallon buckets?

To save on shipping, Hydrator-3.3 concentrates ratio mix with distilled water 1: 25 comes in 250ml = 6.87 quarts.
    Fatliquor-5.0 concentrates ratio 1: 5 in quarts = 6 quarts.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information