Thread: New Bag - let's get it right from the start

Default New Bag - let's get it right from the start

Hi All! I'm new to the forum and I have a question about my new leather bag. My husband just got me a brand new tote bag (think file tote, briefcase tote...) from a local craftsman who is really just starting to work in leather. I know the source of the leather, and have confirmed that it's either aniline or semi-aniline. Unfortunately, the craftsman doesn't do a lot of bags, more wallets and such and he has no clue if I should treat the leather or with what. I know it's not technically cleaning or restoration yet, but I'd like to keep it as nice as possible as long as possible. I feel like it should be treated with something, as I don't want it to get water spotted just walking to my car.

I contacted the company he buys his leather from to ask what I should use and got this back: "There are some waterproofing creams in the market that are usually heavy hydrocarbon paraffin, they give resonable protection and also a nice hand feel to the leather. I recommend these better than the spray fluorocarbons (waterproofing sprays), always try first rubbing the cream gently on an inconspicuous place to see if color change or finishing of the leather is damaged. Waterproofing sprays react most of the time with the silicons in the finishing creating a tacky surface, also they are not permanent and UV from sun destroy their effect."

So, I'm hoping folks here can help me choose a product - it's supposed to rain for the next week and I'd like to use my new bag
    Attached Images Attached Images  

>>> I feel like it should be treated with something, as I don't want it to get water spotted just walking to my car.
    So, I'm hoping folks here can help me choose a product - it's supposed to rain for the next week and I'd like to use my new bag.

If you wish to have water pool on its surface and not having even darkens it surface - the leather could be coated with a clear urethane of your choice either in gloss or satin luster with AnilineTop-76. It has to be crosslinked with up to 10% of crosslinker-25 to make that work. The leather not only becomes waterproofed (water pools on its surface) it also becomes scratch resistant.

Note:
    To ensure proper adhesion surface tension inspection is done with Surfactant-3.6 to ensure even absorbent rate, otherwise blotchy surface will need rectify with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 system and inspect one more time prior to crosslinked topcoat application.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/surfactant-3-6/

AnilineTop-76G/S
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/aniline...ss-heavy-duty/

Crosslinker-25
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/crosslinker-25/

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information