Thread: want to dye vintage CHANEL from white to red

Default want to dye vintage CHANEL from white to red

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 2596
Size:  226.1 KBhi Roger
    Name:  s-l16001.jpg
Views: 2288
Size:  307.9 KB
    is there a color I have to use before trying to apply red to a white vintage Chanel handbag? first I will strip it, then do the steps of hydrator and fatliquor. Just wasnt sure if I do a color before the red to make it a nice bright red.
    thank you

>>> Just wasn’t sure if I do a color before the red to make it a nice bright red.

It depends on the coloring type you have in mind there is the Micro-54 system that produce an “opaque” finish, thus the base color will be block off. However, to have an even color consistency it is highly recommended that the based color should first be restored prior to your bright red color choice.

To produce a beauty of depth and stimulated to a “transparent” finish a matching bright red Aniline-76 system is coat over the opaque Micro-54. Thus enhancing the value and beauty of the color restoration.

A third choice is repair the white with Micro-54 to an even color consistency and then finish with Aniline-76.

Kit-Sa7.cl - Semi-Aniline / Micro-Pigment Leather Color Refinishing Kit
    Name:  Kit-Sa7.cl.JPG
Views: 2193
Size:  1.38 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-sa7...finishing-kit/

Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
    Name:  Kit-A7.cl.JPG
Views: 2205
Size:  1.42 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a7-...finishing-kit/

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Hi, I have ordered the red dyes, Im almost finished striipping off the old dye, I have also taken the leather strip from the chain and wrpped the chain with tissue paper,, then will use the hydrator and fatliquor

Name:  20170402_075342.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  4.64 MBName:  20170402_103614.jpg
Views: 2008
Size:  4.33 MB

Tips:

Prior to the hydrating process, I would used a pack of sand (sieve through to rid of powder) and inserted into the bag for more body impact during the hydrating process. I leave this bag of sieved sand after the fatliquoring process (this helps out to plumps up the diamond quilting) and sometimes throughout the refinishing process - let me know of your experience.

Note:
    Soft lamb leather can be stretched up to 60% of its dimension with enough Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

Roger Koh
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-03-2017 at 08:07 PM.

thank you, I will let you know how it goes

hi Roger
    just wanted to double check I read it right, so I put a coating of original color before applying the red dye?

Yes!

1- Apply Micro-54 matching white to even out the base color.
    2- Apply Micro-54 Red to even out the red.
    3- Apply Aniline-76 Red for a beauty of depth, makes the red more lively, and aesthetically more appealing.

ok, thank you!!, I have enough Micro-54 white left from one of my last orders.

hi Roger, just wondering what is the best way to remove the Aniline-76 Red as I put this on after the 54 red, I find the anline 76 brought out dark patches, I think it was a more even color with just the anline 54 red , also I notice some white stitches don't want to be dyed, what is the reason for that? thank you

>>> hi Roger, just wondering what is the best way to remove the Aniline-76 Red as I put this on after the 54 red,
    Use Stripper-2.3 with Stripping Brush-9.

>>> I find the Aniline-76 brought out dark patches,
    Aniline-76 is “transparent” dyestuff and “what you see is not what you get” - the dark patches is accumulation of layers, and as layers builds up it will appears darker with intensity - how was you application? - brushing or fine airbrushing will makes a difference in coverage.

>>> I think it was a more even color with just the Micro-54 red,
    Micro-54 red is an “opaque” pigment so “what you see is what you get”.

>>> also I notice some white stitches don't want to be dyed, what is the reason for that?

Surface tension is one main reason - to check for surface tension Surfactant-3.6 is used to inspect for any blotchiness prior to application.

Tips:
    Try Napa-84 system instead of Micro-54 - non-continuous film versus continuous film - the advantages that the leather is allow to breathe - color range is the same.

Roger Koh

ok. so I ordered the napa 84 , I added a note with my order, let me know what you think, as I wont be needing the previous reds. thank you

hi Roger, I just sent an email to cancel the napa 84, but maybe I should try it, I think it might be good being breathable, is it also water base?

hi Roger, thank you for the supplies, came today , I will post pictures again soon,

hi Roger, the Napa 84 seems much better, just started heres a couple pictures, the coverage seems alot better
    Name:  20170420_192847.jpg
Views: 1968
Size:  4.60 MB
    Name:  20170420_192811.jpg
Views: 1887
Size:  4.12 MB

>>> The Napa-84 system is nice coverage but strong smell. Will the smell go away?

This waterbased lacquer smell will go away - (Have a little fan blow from away from the application to avoid the smell). Anyway, when dry the smell will be gone and recommended you used the leather-scented Protector-B+.

This is a finer 2 step system then Micro-54 (3 steps) - Napa-84 > NapaTop-84S/G that ends with Protector-B+.

Yes it is also easier to apply, A plush brush without dragging is just what you need (airbrushing not necessary).

Let see, some final pictures.

Roger Koh

Name:  20170422_093331-1.jpg
Views: 1832
Size:  3.03 MBName:  20170422_122147.jpg
Views: 1872
Size:  4.85 MBName:  20170422_070404.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  4.50 MB
    well, I am done this one, next I will clean the white cavier Chanel one I posted earlier

how did you cover the metallic "Chanel made in France" area and how did you dye the leather on the straps? This looks really great!!

hi, I have a large magnifying glass, jewelers style with arm so I can magnify the metallic small letters, then used a red fine point sharpie or a dye pen you fill with the color of dye. the chain strap is removed, you can see where the original knots are , I used a seam ripper to undo the original sew. then I hung the strap and did all the steps with the leather strap then re thread the strap in the chain, its an up and down type way to go back in the chain.... thank you for the compliment. I have actually have done about 4 Chanel handbags now.

WOW!! You are a pro now!! I am so in awe of your progress, keep up the good work! I would love to see more of your work here as it is such an inspiration, the red bag looks fantastic!!

With the red fine point sharpie, do you mean you colored around the letters and then blend the sharpie into the dye? That really sounds like artistic work with a steady hand, but I want to give this a try because your work is very inspirational. What type of dye did you use and did you use a leather deglazer to remove the existing white leather dye and then added red leather dye on top? There are several dye brands I've heard are good (such as Fiebings) - what are your preferred dye brands?

Keep up the great work and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your rehab jobs!

Hi. I used the napa 84 from Roger (leather doctor ) it's specialty made for the soft lamb leathers and let's the leather breathe. I used both the sharpie then abit of the refillable dye pen. I found the sharpie worked better. I used a big can of acetone found in the paint section of Walmart ti strip old dye. Then i used the hydrator then fatliquior process then dyed red. I get my products from Roger. Thanks again

Thanks cyberclick, that's super helpful info! Did you find that adding more layers of red napa dye gave you a brighter red? I noticed there's only one red color provided so I'm wondering if the intensity grows the more layers you apply.

The NAPA red is solid, I used 2 coats, Ive also used other dyes from Roger as well, the NAPA has a temporary smell, but does go away in about 2 days, now there is not smell at all, and never no dye transfer onto clothes or anything!! really nice dye to work with, I was using a foam brush to apply light coat. When I used the acetone to remove the old dye first , its very useful to have an old bathroom type towel to help take off old dye with acetone, what are you going to be doing?

Hi Cyberclick, I'm planning to restore the yellow-ness of a white caviar flap to a crisp white again. It's quite dirty inside so I'm planning to give it a really good deep clean and then dying it a white before sealing it with Aniline Topcoat 76G. I also have a slight dent in a black caviar flap that I'm hoping some hydrator and fatliquor will help me rub out. It's not a super deep dent but I'd thought I'd give it a try

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    Tips:

Prior to the hydrating process, I would used a pack of sand (sieve through to rid of powder) and inserted into the bag for more body impact during the hydrating process. I leave this bag of sieved sand after the fatliquoring process (this helps out to plumps up the diamond quilting) and sometimes throughout the refinishing process - let me know of your experience.

Note:
    Soft lamb leather can be stretched up to 60% of its dimension with enough Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

Roger Koh
    Hi Roger, I am wondering why the centers of the squares are showing shiny /oily after using the napa 84
    Thank you Barb

>>> I am wondering why the centers of the squares are showing shiny /oily after using the napa 84

Permanently or can be wiped off and come back again?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> I am wondering why the centers of the squares are showing shiny /oily after using the napa 84

Permanently or can be wiped off and come back again?
    Permanently. Any suggestions

Can you show a detail macro picture?

Name:  20170622_140338.jpg
Views: 1796
Size:  4.37 MBName:  20170622_140310.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  4.81 MB
    looks like abit of whitish in center aswell

Second pictures on the top left - is there some white hairs or lints?

Can you remember how much Fatliquor-5.0 you applied?

Did you use Acidifier-2.0?

How many coating for the NapaTop-84S?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 06-22-2017 at 02:31 PM.

Problem solved?

How does it look now?

hi would your maroon 13 be the same as a bordeauxName:  bordeaux.jpg
Views: 1604
Size:  147.5 KB dye color ? or would I add to maroon or mix other colors
    thank you

Add Black . . .

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1588
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin & Hair Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coaching

add black to your maroon, thank you

Hi Cyberclick and Roger - I know this is an old thread but I’m considering dyeing a white Chanel myself and was wondering how you would go about dyeing the metal part of the zipper? At the moment I think I’d just mask and leave the zipper as I don’t want to risk the color chipping off...but ideally I’d like the zipper changed to black too, as I plan for the rest of the bag. Thanks ��

>>> how you would go about dyeing the metal part of the zipper? but ideally I’d like the zipper changed to black too.

Well, this is the first time someone asks about dyeing a metal zipper, I only know that gold plating is possible, and in black, is new to me.

Name:  RogerKoh-email.jpg
Views: 1489
Size:  22.7 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather, Skin, Eye, Hair & Acne Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach

Thread Information