Thread: Various chanel bag experiences with the products

Default Various chanel bag experiences with the products

Hi Roger
    My wife owns a lot of Chanel bags from our trips HK, Japan, USA, Europe thru the years. Some bought new and some vintage.
    We received the order from your company and started using them on the bags with mixed results.
    A) One Chanel bag (Classic lambskin jumbo) really became puffy but lost its puffiness after a few hours.
    B) Another lambskin jumbo held its puffiness after a few days even til now but the tip of some of the bubbles/mounds in the quilting imploded so rather than what used to be flat plateaus they kinda look like like little volcanos now with the tops caving in after my wife used the bag. Probably from the pressure on the leather where my wife's arm was holding it. Looks like the puffiness that is achieved is not as strong and permanent as the original puffiness.
    C) Also the part of the bag that had wrinkles expanded but the wrinkles did not go away even when i massaged them when wet. They became more pronounced. How do you get rid of them?
    D) Some quilting just were flat no matter how many times i rehydrated and fatliquored them the leather just would not puff up. Like its dead. Its a lambskin reissue. Do you have anything that can just be injected into the quilting that would just make it puff up like expanding foam or something?
    E) Lastly, one redyed bag we bought from japan the paint started peeling off when we saturated it. Horror oh horror, we eventually had to repaint it.

Can you comment on the above?

>>> A) One Chanel bag (Classic lambskin jumbo) really became puffy but lost its puffiness after a few hours.

Please describe exactly what you do. It seems that after the puffiness was achieve you did not support with sufficient fatliquor (fat and oil) that is sustaining the puffiness - it is actually the “fat” that plumps just like snow has better volume, the oil is just like water that only lubricates for suppleness - so go for more “fat” from the Fatliquor-5.0. Please show some picture for reference in this issue.

>>> B) Another lambskin jumbo held its puffiness after a few days even til now but the tip of some of the bubbles/mounds in the quilting imploded so rather than what used to be flat plateaus they kinda look like like little volcanos now with the tops caving in after my wife used the bag. Probably from the pressure on the leather where my wife's arm was holding it. Looks like the puffiness that is achieved is not as strong and permanent as the original puffiness.

Sounds like insufficient “fat” from the fatliquor - if you have a leather moisture meter or equivalent, then it would be more objective - taken from the reading when the leather is dry.

>>> C) Also the part of the bag that had wrinkles expanded but the wrinkles did not go away even when i massaged them when wet. They became more pronounced. How do you get rid of them?

It is just like a cardboard, if the fiber is already broken that becomes more pronounced, then it is not going to shrink back. Sure the wrinkles becomes worse with broken fibers is the natural path. Some pictures to show?

>>> D) Some quilting just were flat no matter how many times i rehydrated and fatliquored them the leather just would not puff up. Like its dead. Its a lambskin reissue. Do you have anything that can just be injected into the quilting that would just make it puff up like expanding foam or something?

Lambskin especially can expand up to 60%, that why worldwide you only have average 3 sizes of lambskin gloves, you could also shrink it to fit our fingers as well as expending up to 60%. Lambskin leather is very flexible when comes to shrinkage and expension.

>>>E) Lastly, one redyed bag we bought from japan the paint started peeling off when we saturated it. Horror oh horror, we eventually had to repaint it.

An opaque repaint is not the original, peeling is more common due to the pigment, Re-dying with aniline dyestuff like the “staining” type (like Aniline-21) use originally will not peel since it stain the leather protein fiber. The coating type (Aniline-76) without the heavy load of the film coating will be less prone to peeling. Sounds the repainting was not technically sound, like most painting it would require a primier or sealer coating like Adhesor-73 prior to Aniline-76 or Micro-54 system.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

hi, just wanted to let you know that I also own a few authentic vintage CHANEL. these products are amazing, look at my before and after from this post:
    Chanel soft vintage leather bag – it is dry and would like to refinish in black!
    these are the safest and best products to use on CHANEL leathers

Thread Information