Thread: 2014 Lincoln MKS - purple crayon on black leather - left a clear hard film - how to remove?

Default 2014 Lincoln MKS - purple crayon on black leather - left a clear hard film - how to remove?

I have a 2014 Lincoln MKS.
    I have a purple crayon stain on black leather.
    I have tried several cleaning methods and while there is no more purple crayon coming up, there is a clear hard film on the seat and further cleaning seems to bring up the black dye. What can I do to remove this?
    I have used lexol leather cleaner, steam, griots leather cleaner, and a magic eraser.

Name:  IMG_4699.JPG
Views: 664
Size:  1.62 MB

A leather-safe system for removing crayon is by Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system.

Protector-B makes the leather non-stick to crayon and chewing gum as a preventive measure.

>>> there is a clear hard film on the seat
    This hard film is due to shrinkage by using steam - ideal temperature to clean leather is room temperature.

>>> and further cleaning seems to bring up the black dye.
    This is a sign of leather denaturing where the aniline dyestuff leaches out mainly due to pH value. Leather has a pH value of 3 - 5 and any pH valuve above 5 will cause dye bleeding, especially using the magic eraser with water is above the pH value of 7. Check the griots leather cleaner as well that have compounded the problem. The film mentioned above is a combination of products residues not neutralized and rinsed off plus fugitives fatliquor (fat and oil) content.

Caution:
    Not to put pressure on the leather, otherwise it will crack.

Tips:
    1- To pH balance alkaline overexposure will require a cleaning up with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifer-2.0.
    2- To solves the stiffness will require Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.
    3- You may want to consider refinishing as well with this Kit-Ap7.cl http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-ap7...finishing-kit/ as well.

Let me know your decision and we can discuss further.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information