Thread: Dye white Chanel modern chain black

Default Dye white Chanel modern chain black

Hello. So I am in a dilemma. Bought a white calfskin Chanel modern chain hobo online and it has areas where it has been painted and stains. The leather is calfskin, but is missing areas where the grain lines show due to poor paint job. Also, there is a large patent leather cc on the front, which has stains. I would like to know which kit to buy to dye the bag black (leather and patent leather). I would hope to find a way to remove the old finish which was done poorly for the grain to show through. Please help!

Like to have some pictures for reference and we can go from there.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

It was taking too long to upload on site. Here are the pictures. Have taken off plastic chains to get them painted black.

Name:  20170221_144426.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  3.06 MB

Name:  20170221_144436.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  3.33 MB

Name:  20170221_144440.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  3.28 MB

Name:  20170221_144448.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  3.59 MB

Name:  20170221_144455.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  3.24 MB

>>> it has areas where it has been painted and stains. The leather is calfskin, but is missing areas where the grain lines show due to poor paint job. I would hope to find a way to remove the old finish, which was done poorly for the grain to show through.

I believe those pictures #1, #2 & #5 are the unwanted paints mentioned - yes they should be removed as this leather is referred as “wet-white” (or natural white) similar with some “Prada” bag which I have worked on. Solution is first work with Prep-4.4 and when completely removed follows with Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 (use a nylon StrippingBrush-9 for an effective agitation). When the paint is tough to remove you may used Stripper-2.3 but have to adjust with distilled water just to get the matching strength enough to remove the paint without damaging the finishes.

>>> where the grain lines show

These grain lines from picture #5 are accumulated soiling that will be remove beautifully using Prep-4.4 system mentioned above with horsehair leatherBrush-1 instead (gentle to the leather grain).

>>> Also, there is a large patent leather cc on the front, which has stains.

Refer to picture #3, the stain have somehow migrate beneath surface like you see on a mirror not on its surface anymore. Trying to get it out has to sacrifice its surface integrity and not worth the trouble.

>>> I would like to know which kit to buy to dye the bag black (leather and patent leather).

Refinishing to Black is with Kit-A7.cl - Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit (that provides a beauty of depth like varnishing on musical instrument over the cheap opaque paint).
    Name:  Kit-A7.cl.JPG
Views: 210
Size:  1.42 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a7-...finishing-kit/

For removal of the paint as the first attempt use the Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse.3.0 system with StrippingBrush-9 http://www.leatherdoctor.com/strippingbrush-9/
    When considering to refinish then Stripper-2.3 http://www.leatherdoctor.com/stripper-2-3/ is appropriate to completely removed the unwanted paints.

Here is the care Kit-A3 - Aniline Leather Care Kit (see the cycle of care instruction to keep your leather at the highest level of appearance at all time) that you need to have . . .
    Name:  Kit-A3.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  1.53 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...ther-care-kit/

Learn the science and logic behind the cleaning and you will be very smart when comes to the care of leather.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information