Thread: Sticky sectional and chair, unsure of leather type

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sticky sectional and chair, unsure of leather type

I have a sectional couch with a matching chair that I bought second hand. After using a cleaner and conditioner (Lexol, followed by Chamberlin's Milk) the couch and chair have both become sticky. I am unsure what type of leather this is. The brand is Nicoletti. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what type of leather these are and if you have recommendations on which of your product kits would help to remove the annoying stickiness. Please let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Name:  IMG_1881 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 356
Size:  342.9 KBName:  IMG_1882 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 343
Size:  306.9 KBName:  IMG_1889 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 306
Size:  341.8 KBName:  IMG_1894 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 358
Size:  252.5 KBName:  IMG_1897 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 309
Size:  394.6 KBName:  IMG_1910 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 300
Size:  318.5 KBName:  IMG_1912 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 292
Size:  327.8 KBName:  IMG_1914 (683x1024).jpg
Views: 376
Size:  344.4 KB

Leather identification comes first, before we solved the sticky problem just in case the color coating is also damaged. In most cases the clear topcoat is deteriorated and a matching crosslinking-topcoat is necessary to rectify the stickiness back that also matches the original luster level. For Bicast leather, it is usually gloss, simulated or fabric based and pigmented is usually in satin finish.

Look for a leather sample if any will be beneath the cushion to take a look at the reverse side. Another alternative is to remove the dust cloth under the chair and look at the reverse side of the leather.

Next is the darkening effect on the armchair, was these marks there originally before you apply the "(Lexol, followed by Chamberlin's Milk)"?

Let me know what you can find and we go from there.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks for the response. The cushions are not removable but I believe the included picture will provide the leather sample you are asking for (the pictures are of the unzipped chair cushion). I've also included additional pictures of the backside of the chair which I hope is a better example of "unworn" areas and hopefully helpful.

The darkening on the armchair (it is present in the couch arms as well) was present before trying to clean the two pieces.

Thanks once again!

Name:  IMG_1922 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 288
Size:  255.2 KBName:  IMG_1923 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 294
Size:  371.1 KBName:  IMG_1924 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 311
Size:  342.1 KBName:  IMG_1925 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 304
Size:  282.6 KB

From the last picture, the texture and gloss luster reveals that these are more characteristic of ‘Bicast’ leather.
    Besides, it is also that Bicast leather has this typical stickiness problem.
    You may take a look at these threads on Bicast leather where most sticky problems are found.
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ulated-Leather

Both the color and the stickiness need to be refinished and rectified will need to a starter Kit-B8.cl - Bicast Leather Refinishing (Color) Kit.

For further confirmation you may send samples to:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/color-matching-services/

What do you think?

Roger Koh

Roger,

Is the 2"x 2" sample strictly for color confirmation/matching or is it needed to confirm that the couch and chair are bicast? Any recommendation on how to get a sample of that size without compromising the integrity of the furniture? I was more concerned about the stickiness than the color. Would using the refinishing kit change the color so that there would be a need for a color match?

Color matching is optional.
    Need to confirm the leather type.
    Bicast will need 2 colors - Bicast-32 and Bicast-76.
    Pigmented or Semi-Aniline will only need Micro-54.
    Aniline may Micro-54 to block off any remaining darkening effect and Aniline-76 to maintain its color.

Thus, determine the leather finishes type will help us determine which finishes system is appropriate.

If you are not concern about the color, just rectify the tackiness then see Kit-B7 - Bicast Leather Sticky Topcoat Refinishing Kit.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b7-...finishing-kit/

Kit-B8.cl Bicast Leather Refinishing (color) Kit takes care of the color thereafter
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b8-...ing-color-kit/

Combine both kits with duplication and you have both the color and the tackiness solved.

You may send samples minimum, is a half inch slice off beyond the staples to confirm the leather finish type.

Roger Koh

Thread Information