Thread: Sticky sectional and chair, unsure of leather type

Default Sticky sectional and chair, unsure of leather type

I have a sectional couch with a matching chair that I bought second hand. After using a cleaner and conditioner (Lexol, followed by Chamberlin's Milk) the couch and chair have both become sticky. I am unsure what type of leather this is. The brand is Nicoletti. I would appreciate it if you could let me know what type of leather these are and if you have recommendations on which of your product kits would help to remove the annoying stickiness. Please let me know if there is any other information that would be helpful. Thanks so much.

Name:  IMG_1881 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 338
Size:  342.9 KBName:  IMG_1882 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 325
Size:  306.9 KBName:  IMG_1889 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 288
Size:  341.8 KBName:  IMG_1894 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 340
Size:  252.5 KBName:  IMG_1897 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 294
Size:  394.6 KBName:  IMG_1910 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 282
Size:  318.5 KBName:  IMG_1912 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 275
Size:  327.8 KBName:  IMG_1914 (683x1024).jpg
Views: 359
Size:  344.4 KB

Leather identification comes first, before we solved the sticky problem just in case the color coating is also damaged. In most cases the clear topcoat is deteriorated and a matching crosslinking-topcoat is necessary to rectify the stickiness back that also matches the original luster level. For Bicast leather, it is usually gloss, simulated or fabric based and pigmented is usually in satin finish.

Look for a leather sample if any will be beneath the cushion to take a look at the reverse side. Another alternative is to remove the dust cloth under the chair and look at the reverse side of the leather.

Next is the darkening effect on the armchair, was these marks there originally before you apply the "(Lexol, followed by Chamberlin's Milk)"?

Let me know what you can find and we go from there.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thanks for the response. The cushions are not removable but I believe the included picture will provide the leather sample you are asking for (the pictures are of the unzipped chair cushion). I've also included additional pictures of the backside of the chair which I hope is a better example of "unworn" areas and hopefully helpful.

The darkening on the armchair (it is present in the couch arms as well) was present before trying to clean the two pieces.

Thanks once again!

Name:  IMG_1922 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 271
Size:  255.2 KBName:  IMG_1923 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 275
Size:  371.1 KBName:  IMG_1924 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 290
Size:  342.1 KBName:  IMG_1925 (1024x683).jpg
Views: 286
Size:  282.6 KB

From the last picture, the texture and gloss luster reveals that these are more characteristic of ‘Bicast’ leather.
    Besides, it is also that Bicast leather has this typical stickiness problem.
    You may take a look at these threads on Bicast leather where most sticky problems are found.
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...ulated-Leather

Both the color and the stickiness need to be refinished and rectified will need to a starter Kit-B8.cl - Bicast Leather Refinishing (Color) Kit.

For further confirmation you may send samples to:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/color-matching-services/

What do you think?

Roger Koh

Roger,

Is the 2"x 2" sample strictly for color confirmation/matching or is it needed to confirm that the couch and chair are bicast? Any recommendation on how to get a sample of that size without compromising the integrity of the furniture? I was more concerned about the stickiness than the color. Would using the refinishing kit change the color so that there would be a need for a color match?

Color matching is optional.
    Need to confirm the leather type.
    Bicast will need 2 colors - Bicast-32 and Bicast-76.
    Pigmented or Semi-Aniline will only need Micro-54.
    Aniline may Micro-54 to block off any remaining darkening effect and Aniline-76 to maintain its color.

Thus, determine the leather finishes type will help us determine which finishes system is appropriate.

If you are not concern about the color, just rectify the tackiness then see Kit-B7 - Bicast Leather Sticky Topcoat Refinishing Kit.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b7-...finishing-kit/

Kit-B8.cl Bicast Leather Refinishing (color) Kit takes care of the color thereafter
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b8-...ing-color-kit/

Combine both kits with duplication and you have both the color and the tackiness solved.

You may send samples minimum, is a half inch slice off beyond the staples to confirm the leather finish type.

Roger Koh

I think I will start with the stickiness issue and once that is resolved worry about color. I did cut of a slice that is about 3/8" x 2.5" to determine the leather finish type--will that be sufficient? Do I send that to the 3008 Maplewood Court address?

>>> I think I will start with the stickiness issue and once that is resolved worry about color.

This Kit-B7 has solved many a problem on leather stickiness from this forum . . .

Name:  DSC_0442.JPG
Views: 286
Size:  1.38 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b7-...finishing-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Kit-B7, bicast leather sticky topcoat refinishing kit is an innovative system developed for bicast leather to restore finishes sticky problem. The sticky problem is often described from owners as follows. The finish gone dull on the seating areas and any material comes in contact sticks to it. The finishes feels a bit rubbery but after 5mins of sitting clothing were stuck to it. The location that suffers tackiness also reveals roughness to the touch. When sitting down and getting up, there is the sound of tape pulling and you can actually see a pattern on the couch from the jeans. If these experiences sound familiar then this kit is the answer. Stripping the surface contamination is done with Degreaser-2.2 and the help of Eraser-4 for better traction to removed surface materials. Suspended soiling is towel extracted and rinse with Acidifier-2.0. 2000-grit sandpaper or coarser to match is used to smoothen rough surface. A 10% Crosslinker-25 is added to the BicastTop-76G for extra finish strength from stickiness. Protector-B (scentless) imparts a non-stick buttery-feel against sticky soiling; a rub-resistant against friction wear (optional Protector-B+ leather scented version diffuses a leather scent that enhances leather sensuous and luxuriously).

This starter kit is design as a holistic system; optional adds-on and refills are available as individual bottles.

Average of 3 coatings BicastTop-76G covers approximately 40 square feet.

Instruction

Wet Preparation:
    1). Protect floor with plastic covering from overspray and drips prior to stripping accumulated soiling. 2). Shake the Degreaser-2.2 to gel prior to use.
    3). Transfer to the Eraser-4 on the sponge side for normal cleaning and the crepe side for an extra scrub. 4). Apply with agitation onto the leather finish to remove surface soiling. 5). Suspended soiling is extracted with a lint-free towel or cleaning sponge until towel shows clean. 6). Spray Acidifier-2.0, agitate with Eraser-4 and extract until towel shows clean again. 7). When dry, sand surface roughness and ensure free of foreign material with 2000-grit sandpaper. 8). Speed dry with hair dryer, free of residue and is ready for topcoat application.

Refinishing:
    1). Crosslinker-25 10% is added into the BicastTop-76G to control existing stickiness. Empty the entire 120gm of Crosslinker-25 into the 12gm half filled bottle of BicastTop-76G and stir or swill it well. Once the topcoat is cross-linked, it is best to used within 8 hours, otherwise it will be cured hard and be useless. 2). Apply by BristleBrush-3” lightly to avoid streaks or finer soft varnishing brushes for streaks free result or airbrushing for professional result. 3). Steaks are corrected by fine 2000-grit sanding when dry. 4). Use a hair dryer for speed drying in-between coats to satisfaction. 5). Let it overnight cure before non-stick Protector-B application.

Non-Stick Protection:
    1). Protector-B is applied evenly with either PolyBrush-3” or paper towel and is ready for use when dry. 2). For routine application, a paper towel is recommended to simultaneous soiling extraction.

>>> Do I send that to the 3008 Maplewood Court address?

Yes, please do.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 12-19-2016 at 01:52 PM.

>>> I think I will start with the stickiness issue and once that is resolved worry about color. I did cut of a slice that is about 3/8" x 2.5" to determine the leather finish type--will that be sufficient? Do I send that to the 3008 Maplewood Court address?

Sample received with thanks.

Yes!

It is "Bicast" leather, just like laminated flooring, the lamination has deteriorated.

A complete restoration both to the finish coloring first and stickiness second is best solved in a continuous process.

Once the stickiness is solved, it might not be able for the color finishing to stick over it, sequence when not in order is just like "putting the cart before the horse" often expressed.

Thanks for letting me know. I am not concerned about the color, but will correcting the stickiness further alter the color?

Your instructions state that an average of 3 coatings BicastTop-76G covers approximately 40 square feet. Does each kit come with 1 coating of the BicastTop-76G?

Would dimensions be helpful to determine how many of the Leather Doctor® Kit-B7 are needed? The total length of the sectional is 15' (measured along back of sofa). There are a total of 5 cushions on the sectional that are ~ 24"x 24". I would also like to fix the chair that has similar cushion dimensions.

>>> Thanks for letting me know. I am not concerned about the color, but will correcting the stickiness further alter the color?

Correcting the stickiness process is only applying the clear BicastTop-76G + Crosslinker-25 that will increase the gross luster appearance without altering the color. Do a test sample for satisfaction before completing the entire project.

>>> Your instructions state that an average of 3 coatings BicastTop-76G covers approximately 40 square feet. Does each kit come with 1 coating of the BicastTop-76G?

Kit-B7 BicastTop-76G comes in 120ml volume size and Kit-B7+ comes in 220ml size, individual refill is available as individual products here:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/bicasttop-76g-gloss/

>>> Would dimensions be helpful to determine how many of the Leather Doctor® Kit-B7 are needed?

Surface area coverage is only a guide and may differ from project to project, test out a cushion for example and we would know how much we will need for the rest, is the practical approach. It is unlikely that the Kit-B7+ kit would be enough for the entire project thus individual products has to be ordered accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> Thanks for letting me know. I am not concerned about the color, but will correcting the stickiness further alter the color?

Correcting the stickiness process is only applying the clear BicastTop-76G + Crosslinker-25 that will increase the gross luster appearance without altering the color. Do a test sample for satisfaction before completing the entire project.

>>> Your instructions state that an average of 3 coatings BicastTop-76G covers approximately 40 square feet. Does each kit come with 1 coating of the BicastTop-76G?

Kit-B7 BicastTop-76G comes in 120ml volume size and Kit-B7+ comes in 220ml size, individual refill is available as individual products here:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/bicasttop-76g-gloss/

>>> Would dimensions be helpful to determine how many of the Leather Doctor® Kit-B7 are needed?

Surface area coverage is only a guide and may differ from project to project, test out a cushion for example and we would know how much we will need for the rest, is the practical approach. It is unlikely that the Kit-B7+ kit would be enough for the entire project thus individual products has to be ordered accordingly.
    OK. I will order one Kit-B7+ to start. I will apply that kit to see if any other product will be needed. Am I understanding that correctly?

http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-b7-...nishing-kit-1/

Thread Information