Thread: Questions about Aniline Leather Sofa

Default Questions about Aniline Leather Sofa

I’ve been wanting to buy some Leather Doctor products for my aniline leather couch, but I am hoping I might consult with you to find out what my best options are.
    I’ve got a Flexsteel aniline leather couch, manufactured in 1998.
    I’m a graduate student and I bought it from a professor at my university for $100.
    When I bought it, the condition was very good, but when I was moving it home in the back of a covered truck, it suddenly started to rain.
    Several of the cushions got wet, as did one arm of the couch.
    One of the cushions has a very deep crease, and the leather there seems to be really dry.
    I’m not worried about looks - stains don’t bother me.
    However, I would like to use something to help restore and protect the parts of the couch that seem to be damaged.
    I would buy a full repair kit, but I’m a graduate student, so I don’t have a lot of money.
    If I can only afford to purchase one or two products, which would you recommend?
    When I fist got the couch, I did use the Leather Master cleaner and conditioner that was recommended by the manufacturer.

Name:  20160723_134514_HDR.jpeg
Views: 1825
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  20160723_134526_HDR.jpeg
Views: 867
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  20160723_134549_HDR.jpeg
Views: 792
Size:  48.3 KB

>>> I’ve got a Flexsteel aniline leather couch, manufactured in 1998.

Use this Aniline (A.fs) Full Sauvage Leather Problem Matrix as reference solving the problem from the left column with the top row products with the numbers as sequence of steps.
    Name:  Aniline (A.fs) - Full Sauvage.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  312.1 KB

>>> Several of the cushions got wet, as did one arm of the couch.

See row #7 for “water stains” sequence of procedure.

>>> One of the cushions has a very deep crease, and the leather there seems to be really dry.

See row #30, dryness that result in deep creases is first relax an precondition with Hydrator-3.3 to restore the deep creases and while still damp or about 25% combine moisture content it is then replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 ionic negative charged fat and oil. Prior to leather rejuvenating any surface and penetrated body oil, grease and sweat is highly recommended to be first removed, otherwise the soiling may contaminate the Hydrator-3.3 and Fatliquor-5.0 rendering them non-effective. The leather structure needs to be charged ionic positive for hydrogen bonding to take effect. Protection-B is part of this holistic approach and may be an option out.

>>> I’m not worried about looks - stains don’t bother me.

Stains especially alkaline based may affect the pH chemistry integrity that denatures the leather or revert the leather to rawhide once the leather constituents breaks the hydrogen bond.

>>> However, I would like to use something to help restore and protect the parts of the couch that seem to be damaged.

To do that you will need to refinish the topcoat with Kit-A6.tc from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a6-...finishing-kit/
    Name:  Kit-A6.tc.JPG
Views: 736
Size:  1.47 MB

Water Damages Kit-A3.ws
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...n-remover-kit/
    Name:  Kit-A3.ws.JPG
Views: 730
Size:  1.31 MB

>>> If I can only afford to purchase one or two products, which would you recommend?

Fatliquor-5.0 is the lifeblood of leather – as it diminished and leach out of the leather protein fiber, the leather becomes stiff and when flexed will lead to crack. Hydrator-3.3 is the preconditioner for the Fatliquor-5.0 and usually is used 2: 1 in ratio, however it is the final fat and oil content between 14% to 16% that determines the health and strength of the leather with suppleness.

>>> When I fist got the couch, I did use the Leather Master cleaner and conditioner that was recommended by the manufacturer.

Remember that any absorbent amphoteric leathers like this aniline is pH sensitive and leather-safe (pH 3-5) products will maintain its pH chemistry integrity, otherwise it denatures or revert to raw hide when the leather pH neutral (iso-electric point or pI) shift ionic negative (-ve). Leather Doctor products name suffix denotes its pH value that is leather safe and charges the leather protein fiber ionic positive (+ve).
    There are basically two types of conditioners – one range for below surface into the leather structure that conditions and restores the leather structure while another range conditions and protects the finishes of the leather that also determine the tactile feel like “buttery” or “waxy” feel of the leather. These surface conditioners also impart a non-stick and rub-resistant surface to reduce friction wear. Educate yourself to know the differences.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information