Thread: Mould / Mold on a Leather Electric Recliner

Default Mould / Mold on a Leather Electric Recliner

I hope you can help me with advice regarding mould on a leather armchair that belonged to my deceased sister.
    Of course it means a lot to me and I am apprehensive about using anything to remove it.
    If I damaged it I would be shattered so I must have advice that I can trust.
    I can’t tell you the brand of the chair but I do know that my Sister made sure she was buying a good product.
    It is an electric recliner.
    I use your Finished Leather Care System every few months on this chair and my upstairs lounge suite.
    The lounge suite shows not sign of mould but on the seat itself on the chair it is quite visible.
    I live in a small town in North Queensland so expert help is not readily available.
    I would be extremely grateful if you can assist me by way of your professional guidance in this matter.

Thank you for your quick response to my email.
    I have taken some photos of the chair and mould.
    The mould is only on the seat of the chair and doesn’t appear to be anywhere else.
    I find this very unusual because the chair is in a family room which is never used.
    I hope the photos do through and you are able to see the mould OK.
    Would you please let me know because I am not very advanced using the computer and camera.
    Thank you again Roger
    Cathy

Name:  mould on arm chair 004 (2).jpg
Views: 841
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  6505768047AEE9DB9.png
Views: 601
Size:  99.7 KB

Here are some information and tips how you would handle mold /mould infestation for your general reading.
    Let me know how far you wish to go. . .

MOLD: is the colloquial term applied to a large diverse number of fungal species where their growth result in a moldy appearance on objects, including leather. A layer of fungal growth discolors such objects. Molds are fungi that grow in the form of multi-cellular filaments called hyphae. The hyphae are generally transparent, so the mycelium appears like very fine, fluffy white threads over the surface. The dusty texture of many molds is caused by profuse numbers of asexual spores formed by differentiation at the ends of hyphae. The mode of formation and shape of these spores are traditionally used to classify the mold fungi. Many of these spores are colored, making the fungus much more obvious to the human eye at this stage in its life cycle. Molds cause biodegradation of natural materials like leather. It can then be unwanted as mold-damaged property. Mold requires moisture for growth. Like all fungi, molds derive energy not through photosynthesis but from the organic matter on which they live. Typically, molds secrete enzymes that degrade complex substances into simpler substances, which can be absorbed by the hyphae. Molds reproduce through producing very large numbers of small spores. Mold spores may remain airborne indefinitely or cling to leather and fur. It can survive under extremes of temperature and pressure.

The pictures shows that the finish is “pigmented” and could be “semi-aniline / micro-pigmented” or pigmented.
    Semi-aniline is a finer pigmented leathers which have the leather structure dye through and the suede sides takes up the same color range as the smooth leather side. “Pigmented” leather is usually “chrome-tanned” so the suede sides takes on a bluish-gray coloring.

Semi-Aniline Description:

Semi-aniline leathers have all the qualities of aniline leather but also have a light micro-pigment finish and topcoat applied. This additional micro-pigment finish and topcoat increase UV light and water resistance. Micro-pigment is applying finely grounded pigment finish to aniline leathers to even out the difference in color absorbency intensity. Full-grain leathers that are colored with transparent aniline dyes and are micro-pigmented are classified as semi-aniline.

Pigmented Description:

Pigmented leather is also known as painted, protected or finished leather. Pigment finish has important hiding power property, so that one cannot see through the imperfection. A pigmented leather finish system comprises of an adhesion coating, color coating and a top coating. Types and qualities differ from fine to heavy application to match the different grades of leather. The overall quality of pigmented leathers depends on the grade of leather crust derived from such as full-grain, top-grain and corrected-grain. Although they are the best stain resistant among all leather types, dye transfer stain such as from blue jeans is one common problem. The breakthrough method to remove dye stains including ballpoint ink is by “reverse transferring” technique using Prep-7.7 system approach.

Use this Pigmented (P.sa) – semi-aniline / micro-pigmented Leather Problem Solving Matrix as the guide on how best to deal with mold infestation.
    First level is to control the damaging growth with Kit-A3.mk steps as shown in “row C2” of the guide. Finishes damages have to be physical repaired and refinishes accordingly with Kit-Sa7.cl system as shown in “row D5” of the guide.

Kit-A3.mk
    Name:  Kit-A3.mk.JPG
Views: 571
Size:  2.19 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...or-killer-kit/

Leather Doctor® Kit-A3.mk, leather mold odor killer kit is formulated for mold preventive and decontamination care during storage or after growth. Water damaged leathers and storing in a humid condition promotes mold growth. The presence of mold infestation is detected by its characteristic musty odor and moldy appearance. Mold is a living organism and damages are progressive that timely preventive anti-fungicidal control is preferred over corrective restoration. A progressive mold infestation will result in unsightly sinking pits that may require physical removal with refinishing. When leather is store away, a KillMold-3.6 treatment preserves the leather for a potential period of 8 months. KillMold-3.6 is a waterbased leather-safe non-phenol fungicide formulated to kill mold growth. An effective mold decontamination process would include a preparation cleaning with CleanPro-1.5 and Acidifier-2.0 as rinse prior to KillMold-3.6 treatment. Clean-3.8 with Rinse-3.0 system compliments for lighter soiling. Mold growth draws its nutrients from the leather fat and oil and will need replenishing. Rejuvenating the leather includes hydrating to relax the stick together fibers and to eliminate surface tension with Hydrator-3.3. Fat and oil follows immediately with Fatliquor LS-5.5 to rejuvenate the leather with suppleness and diffusing a classic leather scent. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced with a rub-resistant Protector-B+ that also enhances a non-stick buttery-feel to shield against sticky soiling. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach for mold odor preventive and corrective care.

Kit-Sa7.cl
    Name:  Kit-Sa7.cl.JPG
Views: 531
Size:  1.38 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-sa7...finishing-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Kit Sa7.cl, micro-pigmented leather color refinishing kit is design for a holistic restoration approach to not only the finishes but also rejuvenating the leather for suppleness. Most of these repairs may range from missing finishes to abrading damages into the leather structure. Some expose areas may be contaminated with foreign soiling that includes conditioners, protectors, body oil, grease and sweat or alkaline overexposure from cleaners. A comprehensive repair for a long-term lasting solution will require a holistic approach to deal with both the exposed structure and surface finishes. The practical and functional softness and strength of the leather depends on the health of the structure with average thickness between 0.9 to 1.2mm from stiffness and cracking. The aesthetic aspect of the leather finishes averages 0.02mm (or 20 micron) in thickness for practical compressing and flexing from cracking. A leather-safe restoration system begins by stripping with Stripper-2.3 and rinsing with Rinse-3.0. Degreasing with Degreaser-2.2 follows with Acidifier-2.0. The suffix numbers of these four products denotes it pH value for recharging the protein fiber ionic positive besides the act of decontamination. The leather integrity is revitalizes once the ionic attraction between the positive protein fiber and its negative leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor (fat, oil and water) is initiated. Leather rejuvenating system for softness and strength is accomplishes with Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0. Surface uneven absorption is seals with Adhesor-73 to reduce the need for color over-coating thus increase its flexibility and stretchability from premature cracking. Protector-B imparts a non-stick rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel, reduces noises that translate into less friction wear. As the leather surface is well lubricated it reduces compression when comes to heavy body contact thus reduces compressed creases and wrinkles.

Instruction:

Stripping Existing Deteriorating Finishes:
    1. Cover and tape off frames, trims and protect flooring.
    2. Mist sprays Stripper-2.3, Eraser-4 scrub with help of 2000-grit sandpaper feathering out seamlessly and towel extract for an even appearance.

Degreasing:
    1. Shake Degreaser-2.2 to gel prior to use with a repeat shake and rest until it gels.
    2. Transfer to Eraser-4; agitate to saturate the stain, feather out to the entire section.
    3. Towel extracts suspended soiling after 10 to 30 minutes or before it dries until it shows clean.
    4. Spray Acidifier-2.0, towel extract until it shows clean to a healthy squeak.

Hydrating:
    1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 saturating the stain area and feather out for an even appearance.
    2. Covering with tissue paper without airspace to trap wick up stains instead of remaining on the leather surface as it dries.
    3. Peel tissue paper when crispy dry and use Eraser-4 to erase surface residue prior to fat and oil replenishing.

Fat and Oil Replenishing:
    1. Spray Hydrator-3.3 to precondition the leather prior to fat and oil replenishing.
    2. Spray Fatliquor-5.0 and redistribute with foam brush until saturation.
    3. Repeat application each time water contents evaporate until fully saturated.
    4. Drive remaining surface remnants free of milky fat and oil until it turns clear with Hydrator-3.3.
    5. Allow natural drying for extra softness.

Dry Prep:
    1. Erase wick-up residue with Eraser-4 prior to repairs.

Adhesion Promotion Coating:
    1. Apply Adhesor-73 by foam brush to seal surface uneven absorption rate and promote adhesion simultaneously.

Color Coating:
    1. Apply color matching Micro-54 + 10% Thickener-48 for flow control and airbrushing for professional result.
    2. Fine dry atomize dispersion with more air is achieve with 80 to 100psi of air pressure.
    3. Light spray is preferred and let dry in between coats to build up colorcoat.

Topcoating:
    1. Shake the product well and apply by airbrushing for professional result.
    2. Use lint free paper towel to even out drips and streaks.
    3. Speed dries between coats with help of hair dryer.
    4. 2000-grit sanding may applies to improve touch and appearance.

Rub-Resistant Protection:
    1. Mist sprays Protector-B redistribute with a foam brush / paper towel and ready for use when dry.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com
    forum: www.leathercleaningrestorationforum.com
    email: [email protected]

Thread Information