Thread: UGG Boots – Scuff marks and Rain Stains.

Default UGG Boots – Scuff marks and Rain Stains.

Dear Roger,

I’m wondering if you can advise me on some boots I have that need cleaning and some TLC? I was very impressed with your expertise on the forum and products you sell for suede and leather care.

We are a Wet cleaner/Dry Cleaner in the United Kingdom and are in need of some good knowledge and advice in Leather and Suede care. We have two types of boots to clean and restore. I have attached some pictures to view of their conditions. I believe both boots are of Calf/ Aniline Leather.

1) UGG Boots – Scuff marks and Rain Stains.

You may be able to tell me more from the pictures that I have attached for your advice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you and Kind Regards,

Vimal Sachania

Name:  attachment-1.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  1.21 MB

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 1015
Size:  1.32 MB

>>> UGG Boots – Scuffmarks:

Ugg Boots should not have scuffmarks when the naps are at its natural healthy state. Pictures show that they are at a neglected stage where all the naps are crushed. That’s why you may think that the scuffmarks are unnatural, which in-fact it is and the matted suede is not. The suede are the natural reverse side of the shearling with the shown wool worn on the inside and the natural suede on the outside. To restore the crushed nap is to use Eraser-5 and Brush-3 to both exfoliate and groom to bloom for a “finger-writing-effect”.

>>> Ugg Boots – Rain Stains:

Rainwater average pH value is close to 7, acid rain water should have a lower pH water on the acidic of the pH scale, salty water should have a pH value above 8. Leather has a pH value of 3 to 5. Leather is also an “amphoteric” protein material and is pH sensitive to any pH value above 7. It sometimes acts as a litmus paper and will register the pH value of water with browning color intensity increases as the pH value goes up. Correction for browning discoloration is with CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system as phase-1, other compound stains are also removed accordingly at this phase and when appearance is satisfactorily, this wet cleaning process is proceed to the next phase-2 of rejuvenating the thickness of the suede for suppleness with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system. When the suede is dry, exfoliated and groomed, phase-3 is to apply Protector-W a non-stick, rub-resistant protector.

A combination cleaning and restoration sequence of procedure would be as follows:

1 – Dry Soil Removal:
    To get rid of scuffmarks and restore the suede to its original characteristic:
    Recommend Eraser-5 > Brush-3 system.

2 – Removal of Rain Water Stain:
    To correct the pH value imbalance to the suede neutral pH value of 3 to 5 or to its iso-electric point or its pI.
    Recommend CleanPro-1.5 > Acidifier-2.0 system.
    Other compound known stains are also removed accordingly with reference to the guide.

3 – Rejuvenating the Thickness of the Suede for Suppleness:
    Recommend Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system

4 – Non-Stick, Rub-Resistant Protection:
    Recommend Protector-W (scentless) or Protector-W+ (leather-scented)

Use this Suede (S.u) – Ugg Boots – Suede/Wool Problem Solving Guide as reference.
    Identify the problems from the left column, the products to use on the top row and the number denotes the sequence of steps:
    Name:  Suede (S.u) - Ugg Boots.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  281.0 KB

Both the above problems are solved with this Kit-U3.w – Ugg Boots Suede and Wool Care Kit.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-u3-...n-remover-kit/
    Name:  Kit-U3.w.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  1.78 MB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-11-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Thread Information