Thread: Louis Vuitton - Totally MM - Vachetta darkened by 2 shades!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Louis Vuitton - Totally MM - Vachetta darkened by 2 shades!

Hello! I was looking at your kits and trying to decide which one would work best for my needs. I was cleaning my Louis Vuitton Totally MM and used a product that was highly recommended on a Facebook group I'm a part of... Well, it darkened the vachetta by 2 shades! I wasn't happy, so needless to say I hit up Google and came across an old post on leathercleaningrestorationforum.com. It showed a before and after pic using your product. The 2 products I'm looking at is Vachetta leather browning removal kit and Vachetta leather tannin remover kit. For my situation, what would be recommended? Thank you, Kay.

Name:  20160229_132236.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  4.68 MB

Name:  20160229_132403.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  4.81 MB

Name:  20160229_132315.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  4.46 MB

Name:  20160229_132326.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  3.67 MB

Name:  20160229_132333_001.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  3.18 MB

Name:  20160229_132344.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  4.29 MB

Name:  20160229_132410.jpg
Views: 665
Size:  4.53 MB

Name:  20160229_132254.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  3.46 MB

Name:  20160229_132302.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  20160229_132310.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  3.38 MB

Name:  20160229_132501.jpg
Views: 651
Size:  3.62 MB

Name:  20160229_132510.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  3.24 MB

The product used was Cadillac Boot & Shoe Care Leather Conditioner. I know, I know... "Boot & Shoe Care," right? Well, needless to say, lesson learned. The ultimate goal I would like is to lighten the vachetta leather, but w/o drying it out leading to further cracks. In pic #11, I assume the cracks in the vachetta is a natural progression with aged leather... I wasn't too concerned w/ it right now, unless you think I should be. My initial thought is to use Vachetta 2.8 then another product to hydrate the leather, but then I thought, "what if the product to hydrate the leather darkens the vachetta again?" I'm beginning to think maybe there isn't a product for what I'm looking for... Please advise! Your thoughts and/or recommendation(s) would be appreciated. Thanks!

>>> The product used was Cadillac Boot & Shoe Care Leather Conditioner. I know, I know... "Boot & Shoe Care," right? Well, needless to say, lesson learned.

First, we need to know the pH value of the unwanted products and remove any film or coating the unwanted conditioner remaining on the leather surface grains. If the pH value of the conditioner is higher than 7, it is very lightly it has contributed to the darkening effect. You may check them out as all products should have a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) or tested by litmus paper or a pH meter. Any solid that coats the surface may also contributes to the darkening effect as well. Such product may be applied on a piece of test leather half applied and test out relevant products to see if they are removed. Until we known it can be removed 100% that the products is used on the actual problem.

pH Neutralization or Balancing:
    When pH of product is confirmed that it has a pH value above 7, then VachettaPro-1.2 (note the product suffix denotes its pH value and is extremely low – most acid at this low pH value of 1.2 becomes very dangerous – but this is specially formulated for leather with all acidic characteristic removed – so it is safe to our naked hand, thus leather). Alkaline browns leather including unbleached cotton like our pillowcase, acid on the other hand lightens any browning to leather or cotton or any cellulose. All working residue is rinse off with Acidifier-2.0 that brings back the pH chemistry integrity of the leather.

Removing Unwanted Surface Conditioner:
    Degreaser-2.2 is recommended to removed oil and grease-based conditioner and rinse with Acidifier-2.0, any urethane-based residue had to be stripped with Stripper-2.3

We need the above information and testing before we proceed with the actual application after inspecting the conditions of the existing leather with my next post.

When was the last time you have applied the unwanted conditioner?

How much you have used?

Does the darkening effect becomes immediately after it dries or much later?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 03-02-2016 at 10:57 AM.

- I couldn't find the MSDS info on their bottle or website. I sent an email through their website requesting MSDS and still waiting for their response. I will update once/if I get a response.

- It was applied on Sunday, Feb. 28th

- I'm not quite sure how to answer this, but I applied the product on every part of the vachetta. I only went over it once.

- It darkens immediately after it dried.

(btw, I don't think I'm responding correctly...)
    Last edited by Kay M; 03-04-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay M View Post
    - I couldn't find the MSDS info on their bottle or website. I sent an email through their website requesting MSDS and still waiting for their response. I will update once/if I get a response.

- It was applied on Sunday, Feb. 28th

- I'm not quite sure how to answer this, but I applied the product on every part of the vachetta. I only went over it once.

- It darkens immediately after it dried.

(btw, I don't think I'm responding correctly...)

Update: I finally received a response and the PH value is 4.5

Thread Information