Thread: Any way to save this bag?

Default Any way to save this bag?

Hi

I have this lambskin bag (not branded) that I loved very much. But incidentally, water got onto it and I couldn't get rid of thew water stains. Is there any chance to save this bag still? See the pictures attached.

Name:  Chat Chat  Bag Back.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  233.3 KBName:  Chat Chat Bag Front.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  1.08 MB

Hope to hear from you. Thanks!

Regards
    Jenny

>>> water got onto it

Could you describe the water source?

Was the water damage from inside of the bag or from outside?

How long does the water stain takes to dry out?

It looks like the dyestuff have migrated due to pH value difference.

Leather has a pH value of 3 to 5, while water generally has a pH value of 7.

Sea or salted water has a pH of 8, while distilled water has a pH value of 5.2.

pH difference away from the neutral pH of leather 3 to 5 causes the dyestuff to bleeds more intensely.

Leather like pictures shows behaves sometimes like litmus paper and will register the area or spot of influence with difference pH value.

I will continue when I know further information how best to rectify it - yes it is possible to even the color appearance out - probably to the darker intensity - which I believe is your original color. The lighter color is most likely the original color - am I right?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-11-2016 at 09:07 AM.

[QUOTE=Roger Koh;19760]>>> water got onto it

Could you describe the water source? - normal plain water

Was the water damage from inside of the bag or from outside? - the water got inside the bag

How long does the water stain takes to dry out? - I hung it up in shady area for 2 weeks to dry it

It looks like the dyestuff have migrated due to pH value difference.

Leather has a pH value of 3 to 5, while water generally has a pH value of 7.

Sea or salted water has a pH of 8, while distilled water has a pH value of 5.2.

pH difference away from the neutral pH of leather 3 to 5 causes the dyestuff to bleeds more intensely.

Leather like pictures shows behaves sometimes like litmus paper and will register the area or spot of influence with difference pH value.

I will continue when I know further information how best to rectify it - yes it is possible to even the color appearance out - probably to the darker intensity - which I believe is your original color. The lighter color is most likely the original color - am I right? - I guess so.. I remembered the 1st time I wiped the bag, the purple color came off..

>>> Is there any chance to save this bag still?

This Kit-A3.ws is developed for such dye bleeding problems and is the first step before resorting into color restoration.
    Need to remember that the thickness of the leather contains the dyestuff just like activating tea leaves with hot water.
    With sufficient pH balancing and dwelling time the dyestuff will resurface and even out the leather surface and enriched it color intensity.

Here is more information of Kit-A3.ws for your consideration. . .

Name:  Kit-A3.ws.JPG
Views: 359
Size:  1.31 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...n-remover-kit/

Leather Doctor® Kit-A3.ws, aniline leather water-stain remover kit is developed to remove water stains as the results of destabilizing the leather pH equilibrium. The side effect of alkaline overexposure manifests as bleedings, marks and rings behaving like litmus paper. The darkening marks or rings are leather constituents that breaks bond with the protein fiber and migrate forming the darkening effect or outer ring. ProClean-1.5 with a pH value of 1.5 is a very low water-based acidic cleaner with an extra protonating or pH balancing function besides providing a thorough deep cleaning. The amphoteric leather protein fiber is given an extra ionic positive (+ve) charge to stabilize and re-attract the other ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents and in water damage cases are mainly the fugitive dyestuff and fatliquor. Acidifier-2.0 (pH 2.0) is used as rinse and further control the leather from denaturing and controlling from leather becoming sliminess or tackiness. Hydrator-3.3 (pH 3.3) helps to redistribute the fugitive dyestuff by saturating the entire leather structure and let it dwell up to 72 hours to even out appearance. Evaporation control from untimely evaporation is done with putting into s seal container for small items and plastic wrapping for large items. Optimum saturation is a little moisture oozing out of the leather when press between fingers and thumb for ease of water movement and is a critical observation for a movement of the dyestuff and redistributing during the dwelling stage. Fatliquor-5.0 (pH 5.0) replenishing when the leather is almost drying or up to 25% total moisture content will replace the Hydrator-3.3 and allow to dry for suppleness with softness and strength. A very slow drying will produce a softer leather. Protector-B imparts a soft natural buttery-feel when the leather is completely dry and helps reduce friction rubs. Leather is pH sensitive thus products suffix denotes their pH value for a safe water stain rectification.

Application Instruction:

1. Dry soil removal prior to application.

2. Spray CleanPro-1.5 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1 and towel extract until it shows clean.

3. Spray Acidifier-2.0 and agitate with horsehair Brush-1 and towel extract until towel shows clean.

4. Proceed with Hydrator-3.3 to relax and separate the stick together fiber structure and dwelling it up to 72 hours helps to redistribute the surrounding leather constituents back to the exposed areas. Ensure that the entire article is saturated with a little moisture oozing out when press between thumb and fingers and control evaporation by butting small article into a concealed container or plastic wrapping. Interval inspection to ensure the moisture level in replenished evenly to facilitate dyestuff redistribution. It may not work with insufficient moisture level. Inspect for dyestuff redistribution satisfaction prior to fatliquor replenished it.

5. Surface when dry needs be moist again with Hydrator-3.3 for an even appearance preconditioning it prior to Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing. The amount of fatliquor (fat and oil) content when dry should be around 14% read from a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture meter. Otherwise apply until satisfaction.

6. Protector-B is applied when the leather is dry, that will impart a non-stick, rub-resistance surface with a buttery-feel.

Thread Information