Thread: Repairing an old pair of Church's Shoes

Default Repairing an old pair of Church's Shoes

The attached photos show the status of the shoes I want to repair.

First, what I did.

The right shoe was the one most damaged, with deep cracks on the top and the right side, so last year I bought a kit for repair and tried the restoration, with horrible results: the filler had to be heated with a small flat tool, the filler looked like plastic, the color was a mess. So, I forgot about it and left the shoes alone for nearly one year.

Some days ago I decided to restart from scratch, so I removed all the layers and build-ups first with alcohol, thinner and acetone, then sandpapered all the affected surfaces, basically removing also the original top skin of the leather.

What you see is the final result of the process.

I am an Italian leaving in Malaysia, in Italy I would have sent the shoes to a good professional , there are some, but in Malaysia there is no such a thing; I read in your blog your reply to a fellow that had a similar problem http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...is-dress-shoes, and I thought to try and do the repair myself with the products I bought from you.
    Of course your tips would be most welcome.

The issues I see:

1. Can the products I bought be applied to the raw leather, especially the top? Do I need to apply different products to prepare the shoes for restoration other than the ones I bought?
    2. What about the finishing using your aniline dye, how can I match the original color of the shoes, by mixing different aniline colors?

Name:  WP_20151118_12_29_25_Pro.jpg
Views: 1354
Size:  410.9 KB

Name:  WP_20151118_12_38_06_Pro.jpg
Views: 1340
Size:  345.5 KB

Name:  WP_20151118_12_38_31_Pro 2.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  390.1 KB

Name:  WP_20151118_12_38_31_Pro 2.jpg
Views: 1232
Size:  390.1 KB

>>> Do I need to apply different products to prepare the shoes for restoration other than the ones I bought?

From pictures the leather is very dry of its original fatliquor (14% average fat and oil content that makes the leather soft and supple). I also believe that the shoes now get tighter to wear as well due to shrinkage due to diminishing fatliquor. “I removed all the layers and build-ups first with alcohol, thinner and acetone,” All these solvents further dries the fat and oil off the leather. The initial sequence of restoration process starts with restoring its structural integrity with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 wet system.

>>> Can the products I bought be applied to the raw leather, especially the top?

Products you pick are as follows: Aniline-76 (red-brown), Bond-3D, Stucco-90, Adhesor-73 and Impregnator-26.
    Dry repair system sequence of restoration continue with Impregnator-26 > Bond-3D + Bond-7A > (Stucco-90 will give way easily on constant flexing areas, the Bond products does a better job on stress areas).

Refinishing sequence is with Aniline-76 (but the contrasting color intensity is too grade that using ‘transparent’ coating dyestuff can provide you with an even coverage as different absorbent rate will also produce different color intensity. In this present uneven absorbent problem and wish to produce a beauty of depth with aniline dyestuff will need to make adjustment with the base and the alternative sequence would have to modify accordingly as follows:
    Adhesor-73 > Micro-54 (custom red brown) > Aniline-76 (red-brown) > AnilineTop-76 (gloss or satin) > Protector-B.

>>> 2. What about the finishing using your aniline dye, how can I match the original color of the shoes, by mixing different aniline colors?

Yes, they are intermix example the popular brown for man is a mix of Dark-Brown + Red-Brown + Yellow. Ladies favorites change yellow to orange. Always remember to topcoat it that also determines its luster level.

>>> 2. Can you also tell me what is the right sequence in applying the items?

The sequences are as follows:

A. Rejuvenating
    A1 – Hydrator-3.3
    A2 – Fatliquor-5.0

B. Repairs
    B1 – Impregnator-26
    B2 – Bond-3D + Bond-7A

C. Refinishing
    C1 – Adhesor-73
    C2 – Micro-54
    C3 – Aniline-76
    C4 – AnilineTop-76 (satin or gloss)

D. Protection
    D1 – Protector-B

>>> 1. If yes, do I replace the previous order with this new one?
    We can cancel your order with refund and you can reorder products mentioned.

>>> 3. How do I customize the Micro 54 red-brown?

Tan, Ochre and Black will give a more solid colour to block or cover or even out existing appearance. See sample shading guide.

Name:  DSC_0020.JPG
Views: 881
Size:  618.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0023.JPG
Views: 859
Size:  588.0 KB

Name:  DSC_0028.JPG
Views: 805
Size:  555.7 KB

>>> 4. Do I need to order Aniline-76 yellow color too?

You may adjust the base colour and have the Aniline-76 (red-brown) go on top or you may refer to this aniline color shading sample

Name:  DSC_0184.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  2.14 MB

Example of color intensity by layers:

Name:  DSC_0004.JPG
Views: 820
Size:  3.48 MB

Uneven application will produce a "savage" effect.

Name:  DSC_0348.JPG
Views: 894
Size:  4.09 MB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-20-2015 at 10:10 AM.

Thanks Roger, very clear. Will reorder accordingly.
    Marco

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    Thanks Roger, very clear. Will reorder accordingly.
    Marco
    Roger,
    a quick one, I am reordering and the Micro 54 comes with color options, I have chosen tan and ochre, and then i am asked to chose between black and white. What is it?

Quote Originally Posted by marco View Post
    Roger,
    a quick one, I am reordering and the Micro 54 comes with color options, I have chosen tan and ochre, and then i am asked to chose between black and white. What is it?
    Not sure what you mean.

If you take a look at the #1 shading there is no white.

unless you are more to the shading from #2

Please elaborate and I will help.

This is what I mean. Trying to order M54, color option ochre, accepted, size option accepted, then in the last portion there is again a color option, white or black. If I ignore it, I am requested again to chose between the two.
    SKU:
    M54
    Weight:
    0.080 KGS
    Shipping:
    Calculated at checkout
    * Color Options:

Black
    White
    Tan
    Ochre
    Maroon
    Yellow
    Orange-Yellow
    Orange
    Red
    Quin-Red
    Chrom-Red
    Blue
    Marine-Blue
    Thalo-Blue
    Violet
    Green
    Z'Custom

* Size Options:

60ml RTU
    250ml RTU
    250ml Fill
    Quart RTU
    Quart Fill

* Size:

60ml - RTU 250ml - Fill 250ml - RTU Quart - Fill Quart - RTU

* Color: black, white

Quantity:

Thanks for your help, order placed, will let you know the outcome of the exercise when its over.

Name:  after repair 2.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  330.8 KBName:  WP_20151217_12_37_33_Pro (3).jpg
Views: 832
Size:  388.3 KB
    Hi Roger,
    this is the result of my effort.
    Followed the sequence as you recommended and finished with Saphir Cognac Wax.
    Thanks for your help.
    Marco

Thanks to show us your accomplishment, I will be happy too!

Thread Information