Thread: Bicast - Eroding leather

Default Bicast - Eroding leather

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum so forgive me for any mistakes I make but my leather couch has start to erode and I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it? It looks as if it peeling and it really annoying as its only 14 months old and it cost over 3 k - I stupidly didn't pay extra for insurance and the warranty is 12 months so I didn't know if I could put on a oil or wax to make it look better ? Thanks for any help you can give me it'll be really appreciated.

Alex
    Last edited by big Alex; 08-03-2015 at 04:20 PM.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  1.50 MB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  1.92 MB

Here is some pictures

>>> my leather couch

This is typical of a “Bicast” leather (and will be moved to the Upholstery – Bicast forum).

>>> has start to erode… It looks as if it peeling

Friction rubs play a part in eroding or peeling the laminated coating – solution is to have a rub-resistant protection that will impart a buttery-feel that lubricates from wear – Use Protector-B or leather scented version Protector-B+ on a routine basis (not on the leather crust, only on top of the finishes). Wearing off the protection is better than wearing off the finishes.

>>> I didn't know if I could put on a oil or wax to make it look better?

Any protector, oil or wax on the leather crust will create more problems when it comes to refinishing the leather crust (adhesion problem).

>>> I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix it?

An outline to fix will include the following process:

Degreasing:
    1 – Degreasing the leather to prepare for a refinishing with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0.

Damaged Finishing Removed:
    2 – Deteriorated finishes is recommended to be shave or sand off during the Hydrator-3.3 process.

Fatliquoring:
    3 – Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing to rejuvenate the leather crust for added strength, bonding failure is partially the drying up of the leather structure of its original fatliquor.

4 – Repairs:
    Split leather crust is smooth with Bond-3D in conjunction with sanding until smooth to the touch.

5 – Primer, Sealer or Adhesion Coating:
    Adhesor-73 is used to promote adhesion.

6 – Primary Color:
    Bicast-32 an opaque pigment block off the leather crust color.

7 – Secondary Color:
    Bicast-76 an transparent dyestuff brings up the beauty of depth to the coloring.

8 – Topcoating:
    BicastTop-76 is used to seal the coloring to a high original gloss.

9 – Rub-Resistant Protection:
    Protector-B recommended to impart a soft buttery-feel.

The downside is the finishing is not able to duplicates the texture of the lamination film but will last longer than 14months for sure.
    The durability of laminated leathers still depends on the suppleness of the split leather crust and should have a fatliquor moisture content reading of up to 14% (reads with a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture level).

A DIY kit Available for the above process.

Any further questions you may have?

Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator / Practitioner / Consultant / Instructor / Coach

Thread Information