Thread: BMW E92 M3 - tire marks on leather

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default BMW E92 M3 - tire marks on leather

So, yes I am an idiot and managed to stain my tan leather seats with tires. I had some new tires delivered to my work and didn't have the forethought to bring garbage bags, towels, etc. Even then, I didn't realize the damage would be so severe (and difficult to remove as I've seen a couple other posts on this site).

I'm guessing, but have not been able to confirm, that BMW Novillo leather is aniline, although I've also heard that all BMW leather has a protective sealant coat, so maybe it's some sort of hybrid? Anyway, what products would you guys recommend for the damage in the pics below? (also, it's hard to tell in some of the pics, but #2,5,7,8 are on vertical surfaces)

#1 - Front Passenger Seat (a)
    Name:  20150603_164608.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  5.50 MB

#2 - Front Passenger Seat (b)
    Name:  20150603_164622.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  5.84 MB

#3 - Rear Seat (a)
    Name:  20150603_164639.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  3.77 MB

#4 - Rear Seat (b)
    Name:  20150603_164643.jpg
Views: 1098
Size:  3.69 MB

#5 - Rear Seat (c)
    Name:  20150603_164708.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  3.67 MB

#6 - Rear Seat (d)
    Name:  20150603_164713.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  3.92 MB

#7 - Rear Seat (e)
    Name:  20150603_164726.jpg
Views: 1066
Size:  3.75 MB

#8 - Rear Seat (f)
    Name:  20150603_203317.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  4.64 MB

>>> stain my tan leather seats with tires.

We are talking about micron carbon stain, dyes would be easier to removed by (Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system).

>>> I'm guessing, but have not been able to confirm, that BMW Novillo leather is aniline, although I've also heard that all BMW leather has a protective sealant coat, so maybe it's some sort of hybrid?

The success of removal without distorting the coloring depends on the strength of the protective sealant coat and if the protective sealant coat stays healthy throughout then there is no fear finishes damages. Aniline dyestuff will be affected by the Prep-7.7 when it seeps through the protective coating with a lighter discoloration. Pigmented coloring would not be affected at all, thus Bleach-9.9 is added to the Prep-7.7 as a booster.

>>> Anyway, what products would you guys recommend for the damage in the pics below?

You may learn the technique but note the differences in stain type from this link:
    http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...o-you-suggests

Name:  (P7.di), Ap7.di.JPG
Views: 937
Size:  1.99 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit-Ap7.di, auto pigmented / perforated leather dye and ink remover kit is an innovative concept of removing blue jeans dye and ink stains featuring a “reverse transfer” technique utilizing a paper towel over the dwelling Prep-7.7. Prep-7.7. It works by penetrating, lubricating and suspending the stains on dwell time and the paper towel reverse absorb the stain instantaneously from the leather. Prior failed attempt with set-in stains may require the help of Bleach-9.9 as booster to the Prep-7.7 to remove the residual stains. Clean sticky residue with Cleaner-3.8, rinsed with Rinse-3.0 and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 when Bleach-9.9 is cooperated. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fatliquor-5.0 rejuvenates the leather structure with softness and suppleness when dry. MicroTop-54M is an option for renewing the finish from friction wear. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant protection with a buttery feel that shield against sticky soiling and reduce friction noises. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe dye and ink stain removal system.

Instruction:

Testing with Prep-7.7
    1. Cut out a piece of paper towel from the kit not bigger than our thumb size and soak it with Prep-7.7.
    2. Test it on the worst stain area and inspect every 24 hours with fresh application until the stain is gone.
    3. Observe if there is sign of stain removal, if it does, the stain will eventually be remove with repeat application.
    4. To secure the test patch from dislodging wrapped it over with see throughcling wrap.
    5. When stain is removed with satisfaction, clean off the sticky residue with Cleaner-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 until a
    squeaky-feel.
    6. The lack of a healthy squeaky feel may be the result of worn out topcoat, reapplication with MicroTop-54M is
    recommended.
    7. Apply a soak out paper towel with Acidifier-2.0 over the area until dry to strengthen the finish prior to topcoat application.
    8. When test after 72 hours shows poor response, Bleach-9.9 may be used to boost the Prep-7.7.

Mixing Ratio (1: 2: 2)
    1. A mixing ratio guide by weight is 1 part Bleach-9.9: 2 parts Prep-7.7: 2 parts Hot water.
    2. From the mixing bottle, a small test portion Bleach-9.9 is first added into the bottle follow with Prep-7.7 adding and stirring
    into a paste.
    3. Hot water is dripped into the bottle using the pipette to activate the bleach and stirring into a creamy paste.

Testing with Bleach-9.9
    1. Apply onto an inconspicuous or hidden area and leave it for a 12 hours inspection for discoloration.
    2. Remove residue with damp wiping and cleaning sticky residue with Cleaner-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0.
    3. Cut out a paper towel, soak with Acidifier-2.0 and place on the test spot until naturally dry to neutralize the alkalinity.

Note
    If testing with Bleach-9.9 bleach shows side effect, abandon and continue only with Prep-7.7.

Actual Application
    Repeat testing successes to the actual application.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor

Wow, thanks for the extremely detailed reply! I will post back with updates once I receive my kit.

Due to some delays, I just now got a chance to start treating this. I'm hoping it hasn't "set in" more over this time.

I started by testing area #6 as it was the worst. Somehow I lost my picture of the progress after 24 hours, but here is the picture after 48 hours of Prep 7.7 (sorry for the low quality, I had to take it at night).
    The flash makes it look worse than it actually is due to the residue, but the surface is actually ok, and the progress seems slow, but working. One question though, should I be cleaning the residue off after each 24 hour test?

Name:  20150721_224148.jpg
Views: 982
Size:  3.85 MB

>>> One question though, should I be cleaning the residue off after each 24 hour test?

Just peel off the T-5 Towel saturated Prep-7.7.

Like to see if you place done the first step correctly as follows:

1. Cut out a piece of paper towel from the kit not bigger than our thumb size and soak it with Prep-7.7 onto a test spot.

Yeah, here's a picture of Step 1. As you said, I have been applying a small piece of paper towel soaked with Prep 7.7 and letting it set for 24 hours. After that, I am reapplying a new piece of paper towel with Prep 7.7 and I am not cleaning the surface before hand. Did I misunderstand? Should I be only using 1 piece and just checking on the status every 24 hours but not reapplying?

Name:  20150718_140044.jpg
Views: 978
Size:  3.67 MB

Thread Information