Thread: Color transfer on calf leather Chanel bag

Default Color transfer on calf leather Chanel bag

Hi Roger,

My bag got some heavy duty color transfer from my clothes. What are the chances of me successfully restoring it? The bag has mixed leather. The color transfer part is a irridecent calf leather. Feels draggy so I don't think it's finished like other bags. There are also some scratches on the cartelized leather by the handles I was hoping to fix as well. Lastly, there are some spots on the bottom of the bag which I have no idea what they are so would like to try and clean it up as well. Here are some pictures.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

>>> My bag got some heavy-duty color transfer from my clothes. What are the chances of me successfully restoring it?

Chance are good when use Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system in conjunction with ‘reverse transfer’ technique from Kit-A3 from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...ther-care-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Prep-4.4.
    Prep-4.4 is the leather-safe milder version of Prep-7.7 with a pH value of 4.4 for pH sensitive leathers. This universal prep cleaner is for all leather types including the common vachetta, nubuck, suede, wet-white and all aniline leather types This prep cleaner works by allowing sufficient dwell-time to penetrate, lubricate and suspense prior to towel extraction. Proven technique include “reverse transferring” suspended stain during dwell time through a stretchable absorbent paper rather than being reabsorbed by the leather instead. It is design to remove stain such as: a) Blue Jean Dye, b) Leather Belt, c) Plastic Ink Print, d) Newsprint, e) Ballpoint Ink, f) Stamp Pad Ink, g) Sticky Label Residue, h) Crayon, i) Chewing Gum, j) Silicone Shine, k) Permanent Marker & l) Accumulated Soiling. It is highly recommended that the remaining sticky residue be thereafter remove in conjunction with Clean-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 as a holistic leather-safe system.

>>> The bag has mixed leather. The color transfer part is a irridecent calf leather. Feels draggy so I don't think it's finished like other bags.

Any secondary coloring or finishes may have already removed from the friction rubs and suggest that they are refinished according with choices of Metallic-98 either Copper or Bronze or a mix of both to match accordingly from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/metallic-98/
    The gloss luster is restored with the heavy-duty AnilineTop-76G from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-76/

>>> There are also some scratches on the cartelized leather by the handles I was hoping to fix as well.

This combo part of the leather is most likely an Aniline Wax Pull-up.
    Aniline Wax Pull-up leathers derive its color from dyestuff and effect wax that gives the leather a lively distressed look. When this leather is pulled, stretched or scratched, the waxes dissipate characteristically and become lighter in those areas. Sunlight and stretching through high wear areas are two main indications that the infused wax needs replenishing. As this, effect wax behaves just like the primary fatliquor they do diminish through ageing and will need periodic replenishing. Besides contributing to the color intensity, it improves in water shedding effect. Effect wax when applied to the leather penetrates while some transforms into fine cloudy crystal and remains on the surface. The dried surface white powdery deposits are then heat activated and when they melt, they coat the surface with a glossy sheen. In a restorative care cycle an urethane gloss topcoats is applied to restore its original appearance.
    Restoring the scratches is with this Kit-Aw6.tc from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw6...finishing-kit/

>>> Lastly, there are some spots on the bottom of the bag which I have no idea what they are so would like to try and clean it up as well.

If they are stain from oil or grease it would be removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system. Prior to stain removal try a little stretching to determine the depth of the stains.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor

Name:  A3.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  2.54 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit-A3, aniline leather, care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping leathers at their highest level of appearance, maintaining its pH chemistry integrity, enhancing their suppleness and prevents premature ageing. Leathers that faced the sun, closed to fireplace and heaters dries out the fatliquor (fat and oil) that keeps it supple sooner than the non-heat exposed areas. The diminishing of the fatliquor through evaporation results in the leather fibers being stick closer together that results in stiffness and when flexed during used will lead to cracks. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to plumps the stick together fibers prior to fatliquor replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and strong. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness and cracking. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced with friction noise reduction. This is preventable with a rub-resistant Protector-B+ that imparts a natural buttery-feel. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Clean-3.8 follows by Rinse-3.0 to the bare body contact areas like headrest and armrest helps reduce greasy soiling build-up. Restorative cleaning and occasional dye stains removal from new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-4.4. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system.

Name:  Aw6.tc.JPG
Views: 887
Size:  2.62 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit-Aw6.tc, aniline wax pull-up leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for after degreasing in a holistic approach. Most penetrated stains from the head and hands that show a darkening effect have its topcoat probably deteriorated by the oil, grease and sweat. Deteriorated topcoat removed during the degreasing process is refinished with AnilineTop-21G after wax effect rejuvenated. Removing penetrated soiling contamination starts with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies the greasy contamination, controls dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Wax Effect-8.6 rejuvenates the structural wax pull-up effect and coagulates a cloudy waxy coating on the surface to be heat activated into the characteristic glossy sheen. Protector-D+ enhances a non-stick draggy-feel to shield against sticky soiling, besides healing and concealing lightening scuff and abrasion marks. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline wax pull-up leathers topcoat refinishing system.

Name:  M98-060.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  144.6 KB
    Leather Doctor® Metallic-98 is design to create a metallic secondary color effect. Colors are available in Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper.

Could you PM me on the price if I were to ship to you to restore?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> My bag got some heavy-duty color transfer from my clothes. What are the chances of me successfully restoring it?

Chance are good when use Prep-4.4 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system in conjunction with ‘reverse transfer’ technique from Kit-A3 from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-a3-...ther-care-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Prep-4.4.
    Prep-4.4 is the leather-safe milder version of Prep-7.7 with a pH value of 4.4 for pH sensitive leathers. This universal prep cleaner is for all leather types including the common vachetta, nubuck, suede, wet-white and all aniline leather types This prep cleaner works by allowing sufficient dwell-time to penetrate, lubricate and suspense prior to towel extraction. Proven technique include “reverse transferring” suspended stain during dwell time through a stretchable absorbent paper rather than being reabsorbed by the leather instead. It is design to remove stain such as: a) Blue Jean Dye, b) Leather Belt, c) Plastic Ink Print, d) Newsprint, e) Ballpoint Ink, f) Stamp Pad Ink, g) Sticky Label Residue, h) Crayon, i) Chewing Gum, j) Silicone Shine, k) Permanent Marker & l) Accumulated Soiling. It is highly recommended that the remaining sticky residue be thereafter remove in conjunction with Clean-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 as a holistic leather-safe system.

>>> The bag has mixed leather. The color transfer part is a irridecent calf leather. Feels draggy so I don't think it's finished like other bags.

Any secondary coloring or finishes may have already removed from the friction rubs and suggest that they are refinished according with choices of Metallic-98 either Copper or Bronze or a mix of both to match accordingly from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/metallic-98/
    The gloss luster is restored with the heavy-duty AnilineTop-76G from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/anilinetop-76/

>>> There are also some scratches on the cartelized leather by the handles I was hoping to fix as well.

This combo part of the leather is most likely an Aniline Wax Pull-up.
    Aniline Wax Pull-up leathers derive its color from dyestuff and effect wax that gives the leather a lively distressed look. When this leather is pulled, stretched or scratched, the waxes dissipate characteristically and become lighter in those areas. Sunlight and stretching through high wear areas are two main indications that the infused wax needs replenishing. As this, effect wax behaves just like the primary fatliquor they do diminish through ageing and will need periodic replenishing. Besides contributing to the color intensity, it improves in water shedding effect. Effect wax when applied to the leather penetrates while some transforms into fine cloudy crystal and remains on the surface. The dried surface white powdery deposits are then heat activated and when they melt, they coat the surface with a glossy sheen. In a restorative care cycle an urethane gloss topcoats is applied to restore its original appearance.
    Restoring the scratches is with this Kit-Aw6.tc from this link:
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/kit-aw6...finishing-kit/

>>> Lastly, there are some spots on the bottom of the bag which I have no idea what they are so would like to try and clean it up as well.

If they are stain from oil or grease it would be removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system. Prior to stain removal try a little stretching to determine the depth of the stains.

Roger Koh

Name:  A3.JPG
Views: 916
Size:  2.54 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit-A3, aniline leather, care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping leathers at their highest level of appearance, maintaining its pH chemistry integrity, enhancing their suppleness and prevents premature ageing. Leathers that faced the sun, closed to fireplace and heaters dries out the fatliquor (fat and oil) that keeps it supple sooner than the non-heat exposed areas. The diminishing of the fatliquor through evaporation results in the leather fibers being stick closer together that results in stiffness and when flexed during used will lead to cracks. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to plumps the stick together fibers prior to fatliquor replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and strong. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness and cracking. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced with friction noise reduction. This is preventable with a rub-resistant Protector-B+ that imparts a natural buttery-feel. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Clean-3.8 follows by Rinse-3.0 to the bare body contact areas like headrest and armrest helps reduce greasy soiling build-up. Restorative cleaning and occasional dye stains removal from new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-4.4. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system.

Name:  Aw6.tc.JPG
Views: 887
Size:  2.62 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit-Aw6.tc, aniline wax pull-up leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for after degreasing in a holistic approach. Most penetrated stains from the head and hands that show a darkening effect have its topcoat probably deteriorated by the oil, grease and sweat. Deteriorated topcoat removed during the degreasing process is refinished with AnilineTop-21G after wax effect rejuvenated. Removing penetrated soiling contamination starts with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies the greasy contamination, controls dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Wax Effect-8.6 rejuvenates the structural wax pull-up effect and coagulates a cloudy waxy coating on the surface to be heat activated into the characteristic glossy sheen. Protector-D+ enhances a non-stick draggy-feel to shield against sticky soiling, besides healing and concealing lightening scuff and abrasion marks. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline wax pull-up leathers topcoat refinishing system.

Name:  M98-060.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  144.6 KB
    Leather Doctor® Metallic-98 is design to create a metallic secondary color effect. Colors are available in Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  1.42 MBName:  image.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  2.10 MB

Hi Roger, I started on the bottom of the bag on the few spots that I think are from grease. The problem is it's now darker and got rings because it looks like the dirt has migrated outwards and I don't know how to contain it. After that I try to clean the entire circular area on the bottom of the bag to attempt to even out the rings. clean (while the degreaser was still wet) >rinse ( while clean was still wet) and then hydrator (while rinse is still wet) but that seems to have darkened the bottom compared to the rest of the bag and the rings are still there. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by lobonn; 06-03-2015 at 06:25 PM.

>>> The problem is it's now darker and got rings because it looks like the dirt has migrated outwards and I don't know how to contain it.

The darker appearance is the concentration of the soiling grouping together forming rings.
    Using Towel-T5 to reverse transfer the stain is recommended then letting them free run on the leather surface.

>>> After that I try to clean the entire circular area on the bottom of the bag to attempt to even out the rings.

Application of product to moves the stain is also used to feather out the entire base to even out appearance.
    Which product is being used?

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

the products used were: clean (while the degreaser was still wet) >rinse ( while clean was still wet) and then hydrator (while rinse is still wet) but that seems to have darkened the bottom compared to the rest of the bag and the rings are still there. Any suggestions?

so I should start with degreaser or should I start with clean?

>>> The problem is it's now darker and got rings because it looks like the dirt has migrated outwards and I don't know how to contain it.

The darker appearance is the concentration of the soiling grouping together forming rings.
    Using Towel-T5 to reverse transfer the stain is recommended then letting them free run on the leather surface.

Reference to Post #4 pictures:

The stains are moving.
    It just needs to get off the surface.
    Using Towel-T5 while the surface is wet with an even appearance after Degreaser-2.2 or Clean-3.8 or Rinse-3.0 will all achieve the same result – that the stain is transfer to the Towel-T5 during the drying process where the stains will wick through the Towel-T5 and peel off when crispy dry.

Note:
    If this material is not leather skip the Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 process.

Thread Information