Thread: Coach - Multi-Color Tote Bag

Default Coach - Multi-Color Tote Bag

I have a new Coach bag which is colorblocked white, tan, brown and black. I haven't used it yet but dropped a few drops of water on it accidentally. The drops stained really fast and darkened the tan portion of the purse considerably. I have 3 questions. One, how can I clean this bag without ruining it or darkening the leather. I got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and was rubbing the spots, which started to fade but then I saw the dye was coming off on the pad, which scared me. I already have a darker patch at the top of the bag where I had one stain and tried to remove it with regular leather cleaner (See second photo). Two, how can I protect the leather from future staining? I bought this tote to take on a month-long trip to Ireland and I've heard its very rainy there and, in addition, I'm very messy. I don't want to change the color of the bag with a protectant. Three,how do I keep the leather conditioned without darkening the bag? I love this bag and can't really afford a professional dry cleaning, so I really need tips on cleaning. Thanks much!Name:  DSCN0398[1].JPG
Views: 850
Size:  3.75 MB Name:  DSCN0399[1].JPG
Views: 793
Size:  3.62 MB

>>> One, how can I clean this bag without ruining it or darkening the leather.

Coach bag is popular for its biscuit color naked unfinished vegetable-tanned leathers.
    Vegetable-tanned leather is more pH sensitive than the average chrome-tanned leathers.
    The leather behaves like a litmus paper and will register any liquid pH in color.
    Any neutral to alkaline liquid will browns the leather as the tanning agent becomes fugitives and moves from the center of alkaline overexposure, the higher the pH value the darker will be the spot.
    Naked unfinished leather also acts as filter and any solid will remain on the surface as the liquid being absorbed.
    Thus selecting the any cleaning products has to be leather-safe (pH between 3 and 5) and with the least solid.
    pH value of product is either found in the label itself or the product itself – thus in the Leather Doctor system the number suffix denotes its pH value, thus Clean-3.8 has a pH value of 3.8. Testing of the solid is sprayed or applied onto a glass mirror or window surface to see any remaining residue when dry.
    Darkening spots in this situation is rectified with application of Acidifier-2.0 (pH value 2.0) pH balancing the water average pH 7 to the leather pH neutral, isoelectric-point of pI of (pH 3 to 5). In extreme cases Vachetta-2.8 is used to rectify by redox or reduction-oxidation reaction and will also reduce sun tanning effect as well, keeping the leather from sun tanning effect in periodic care instances.

>>> The drops stained really fast and darkened the tan portion of the purse considerably.

First approach is used Acidifier-2.0 applied to the entire section let it soak in evenly and let natural drying – the stain should be gone or reduced. In extreme cases Vachetta-2.8 is applied similar manner and let to natural dry – it will produce a lightening effect eliminating both the stains and sun tanning effect.

>>> I got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and was rubbing the spots, which started to fade but then I saw the dye was coming off on the pad, which scared me.

Magic Eraser is simply a fine sandpaper and what you see is abraded surface grain.
    When grain surfaced is abraded it will become coarse and more absorbent.

>>> I already have a darker patch at the top of the bag where I had one stain and tried to remove it with regular leather cleaner (See second photo).

Photo not sharps enough to see the extent of the damages.
    May I know the type of stain?
    May I know what “regular leather cleaner” you have used?
    It is now a possible compound stain – both to remove the original stain and the regular leather cleaner residue as well. All cleaning reaction has to be stopped from overworking and that is by pH balancing back to the pH neutral of the leather.

>>> Two, how can I protect the leather from future staining?

I bought this tote to take on a month-long trip to Ireland and I've heard its very rainy there and, in addition, I'm very messy. I don't want to change the color of the bag with a protectant.
    Non-invasive protecting the leather from staining is from the inside or the thickness of the leather itself.
    When the leather is at its optimum fatliquor moisture level up to 14% it will retard the ingress of liquid stain.
    Unfinished leathers become too absorbent corresponding with increase dryness of its original fatliquor (ionic charged fat and oil).

>>> Three, how do I keep the leather conditioned without darkening the bag?

I love this bag and can't really afford a professional dry cleaning, so I really need tips on cleaning.
    Structure conditioning is performed by Fatliquor-5.0 after Hydrator-3.3.
    Surface conditioning is performed with Protector-D.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-V4

Name:  Kit V4.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  971.7 KB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather...g-removal-kit/

Leather Doctor® Kit V4 specialty problem solving kit include Vachetta-2.8 for browning removal and Degreaser-2.2 for body contact decontamination systems in a holistic approach. Kit V4 is a combination kit from Kit V3 and Kit V5.dr without duplicating of products for these common related problems.
    Darkening appearance from body contact and browning from liquid stain are two main inevitable common problems associated with naked unfinished vachetta leathers. Leather being absorbent absorb and accumulates body moisture from contact and when neglected resulted in a darkening appearance. Besides appearance the sweat with traces of urea may cause the protein fiber from shifting ionic negative (-ve) manifesting as tackiness and reverting to rawhide.
    Degreaser-2.2 solves the darkening effect by penetrating, lubricating and suspending the soiling particulates and simultaneously protonate the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve). The amphoteric protein fiber is further rinse and ionic positive (+ve) charge with Acidifier-2.0 to strengthen the ionic attraction between its other non-amphoteric ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agent and the fatliquor. This dual duty removes the unwanted soiling particulates and pH balance the pH chemistry integrity of the leather at the same time.
    Browning of vachetta leathers is associated with alkaline over-exposure, vachetta being a lower pH value than most other tanned leathers averages pH 4 is more sensitive to alkaline cleaning or stains and even water at pH 7 will cause discoloration and browning.
    Vachetta-2.8 with its low pH works by oxidation-reduction reaction to reduce the discoloration or browning effect to a more even appearance when the leather is left to dry naturally.
    Leather rejuvenating is mandatory and comes next when appearance become satisfactorily. This is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system. Hydrator-3.3 plays a significant role in absorbent leathers like vachetta where stains are usually penetrated. The hydrator’s surfactancy helps internal leather structure colloidal movement by moving suspended soiling particulates to the surface at each wicking process until exhausted and is often used as part of the rinsing process. Besides hydrator is used to check for surface tension and relax the leather fiber prior to ionic negative (-ve) charged Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing. Natural slow drying in between application until saturation produces a softer leather.
    Protecting the leather with Protector-D impart a natural draggy-feel and reduces wear to the grain of the leather, conceal scuff with its healing properties that also allows transpiration to take place or breaths naturally. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach to removing the common problems associated with vachetta, saddlery and veg-tan leathers.

Default Multi-Color Coach Tote Bag Reply

Hi Roger: Thanks so much for the reply! The other stain at the top of the purse was of unknown origin. I ordered the bag online and got it in the mail. I stupidly assumed I could clean with Kiwi Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and did so instead of returning the bag. So now I'm stuck. If I read your reply right, you're recommending these products: (1) Acidifier 2.0 (to remove stains); (2) Hydrator 3.3 (conditioning?); (3) Fatiliquar5.0 (structural conditioning); & (4) Protector D. So these would be the minimum products that I would need, correct? If I was splurge and get the Leather Doctor Kit v. 4, I would get the Vachetta 2.8 to remove the browning (which is stronger than the Acidifier 2.0, correct?) and I would also get the Degreaser 2.2, correct? The Degreaser would remove stains from bodily contact I have with the bag? What about other stains? Would they also be removed by the Vachetta 2.8? Thanks again so very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    >>> One, how can I clean this bag without ruining it or darkening the leather.

Coach bag is popular for its biscuit color naked unfinished vegetable-tanned leathers.
    Vegetable-tanned leather is more pH sensitive than the average chrome-tanned leathers.
    The leather behaves like a litmus paper and will register any liquid pH in color.
    Any neutral to alkaline liquid will browns the leather as the tanning agent becomes fugitives and moves from the center of alkaline overexposure, the higher the pH value the darker will be the spot.
    Naked unfinished leather also acts as filter and any solid will remain on the surface as the liquid being absorbed.
    Thus selecting the any cleaning products has to be leather-safe (pH between 3 and 5) and with the least solid.
    pH value of product is either found in the label itself or the product itself – thus in the Leather Doctor system the number suffix denotes its pH value, thus Clean-3.8 has a pH value of 3.8. Testing of the solid is sprayed or applied onto a glass mirror or window surface to see any remaining residue when dry.
    Darkening spots in this situation is rectified with application of Acidifier-2.0 (pH value 2.0) pH balancing the water average pH 7 to the leather pH neutral, isoelectric-point of pI of (pH 3 to 5). In extreme cases Vachetta-2.8 is used to rectify by redox or reduction-oxidation reaction and will also reduce sun tanning effect as well, keeping the leather from sun tanning effect in periodic care instances.

>>> The drops stained really fast and darkened the tan portion of the purse considerably.

First approach is used Acidifier-2.0 applied to the entire section let it soak in evenly and let natural drying – the stain should be gone or reduced. In extreme cases Vachetta-2.8 is applied similar manner and let to natural dry – it will produce a lightening effect eliminating both the stains and sun tanning effect.

>>> I got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and was rubbing the spots, which started to fade but then I saw the dye was coming off on the pad, which scared me.

Magic Eraser is simply a fine sandpaper and what you see is abraded surface grain.
    When grain surfaced is abraded it will become coarse and more absorbent.

>>> I already have a darker patch at the top of the bag where I had one stain and tried to remove it with regular leather cleaner (See second photo).

Photo not sharps enough to see the extent of the damages.
    May I know the type of stain?
    May I know what “regular leather cleaner” you have used?
    It is now a possible compound stain – both to remove the original stain and the regular leather cleaner residue as well. All cleaning reaction has to be stopped from overworking and that is by pH balancing back to the pH neutral of the leather.

>>> Two, how can I protect the leather from future staining?

I bought this tote to take on a month-long trip to Ireland and I've heard its very rainy there and, in addition, I'm very messy. I don't want to change the color of the bag with a protectant.
    Non-invasive protecting the leather from staining is from the inside or the thickness of the leather itself.
    When the leather is at its optimum fatliquor moisture level up to 14% it will retard the ingress of liquid stain.
    Unfinished leathers become too absorbent corresponding with increase dryness of its original fatliquor (ionic charged fat and oil).

>>> Three, how do I keep the leather conditioned without darkening the bag?

I love this bag and can't really afford a professional dry cleaning, so I really need tips on cleaning.
    Structure conditioning is performed by Fatliquor-5.0 after Hydrator-3.3.
    Surface conditioning is performed with Protector-D.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Products mentioned are found in this Kit-V4

Name:  Kit V4.jpg
Views: 764
Size:  971.7 KB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather...g-removal-kit/

Leather Doctor® Kit V4 specialty problem solving kit include Vachetta-2.8 for browning removal and Degreaser-2.2 for body contact decontamination systems in a holistic approach. Kit V4 is a combination kit from Kit V3 and Kit V5.dr without duplicating of products for these common related problems.
    Darkening appearance from body contact and browning from liquid stain are two main inevitable common problems associated with naked unfinished vachetta leathers. Leather being absorbent absorb and accumulates body moisture from contact and when neglected resulted in a darkening appearance. Besides appearance the sweat with traces of urea may cause the protein fiber from shifting ionic negative (-ve) manifesting as tackiness and reverting to rawhide.
    Degreaser-2.2 solves the darkening effect by penetrating, lubricating and suspending the soiling particulates and simultaneously protonate the protein fiber ionic positive (+ve). The amphoteric protein fiber is further rinse and ionic positive (+ve) charge with Acidifier-2.0 to strengthen the ionic attraction between its other non-amphoteric ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agent and the fatliquor. This dual duty removes the unwanted soiling particulates and pH balance the pH chemistry integrity of the leather at the same time.
    Browning of vachetta leathers is associated with alkaline over-exposure, vachetta being a lower pH value than most other tanned leathers averages pH 4 is more sensitive to alkaline cleaning or stains and even water at pH 7 will cause discoloration and browning.
    Vachetta-2.8 with its low pH works by oxidation-reduction reaction to reduce the discoloration or browning effect to a more even appearance when the leather is left to dry naturally.
    Leather rejuvenating is mandatory and comes next when appearance become satisfactorily. This is accomplished with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system. Hydrator-3.3 plays a significant role in absorbent leathers like vachetta where stains are usually penetrated. The hydrator’s surfactancy helps internal leather structure colloidal movement by moving suspended soiling particulates to the surface at each wicking process until exhausted and is often used as part of the rinsing process. Besides hydrator is used to check for surface tension and relax the leather fiber prior to ionic negative (-ve) charged Fatliquor-5.0 replenishing. Natural slow drying in between application until saturation produces a softer leather.
    Protecting the leather with Protector-D impart a natural draggy-feel and reduces wear to the grain of the leather, conceal scuff with its healing properties that also allows transpiration to take place or breaths naturally. Note that the mentioned products suffix numbers denotes its pH value in this holistic approach to removing the common problems associated with vachetta, saddlery and veg-tan leathers.

Default Multi-Color Coach Tote Bage

Could you tell me the name of the product?

Quote Originally Posted by rymageorge View Post
    I think you can clean the stains using a special type of stain removing ink made specially for leather. it is cheap and easily available in stores.

>>> If I read your reply right, you're recommending these products: Acidifier 2.0 (to remove stains); (2) Hydrator 3.3 (conditioning?); (3) Fatiliquar5.0 (structural conditioning); & (4) Protector D.
    So these would be the minimum products that I would need, correct?

See detailed description and instruction from this link:
    Acidifier-2.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/acidifier-2-0/
    Hydrator-3.3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/
    Fatliquor-5.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/
    Protector-D
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/protector-d/

>>> If I was splurge and get the Leather Doctor Kit v. 4, I would get the Vachetta 2.8 to remove the browning (which is stronger than the Acidifier 2.0, correct?) and I would also get the Degreaser 2.2, correct? The Degreaser would remove stains from bodily contact I have with the bag?

See detailed description and instruction from these links:
    Vachetta-2.8
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachetta-2-8/
    Degreaser-2.2
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/degreaser-2-2/

>>> What about other stains? Would they also be removed by the Vachetta 2.8?

Vachetta-2.8 is developed for browning discoloration and reducing the sun tanning intensity effect.
    We need to take a closer look at the stain again with better picture and go from there.

Default Multi Color Coach Tote Bag - I got the Kit, can you tell me what to do now?

Hi Roger: I got the kit in the mail. First, what exactly do I do now with the two stains I have? I'm attaching new, closeup pics of them. The first picture is of the water mark stains near the bottom of the bag that I used the Mr. Clean on and they lightened up somewhat. The second picture is of the brownish patch near the top of the purse where I had an unknown stain that I used Kiwi Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on and it darkened from the biscuit color of the rest of the bag. Second, what do I use to condition and protect the bag? Just want to make sure I understand. Thanks! Janice

Name:  DSCN0400.JPG
Views: 772
Size:  3.87 MB

Name:  DSCN0401.JPG
Views: 739
Size:  3.88 MB

>>> If I read your reply right, you're recommending these products: Acidifier 2.0 (to remove stains); (2) Hydrator 3.3 (conditioning?); (3) Fatiliquar5.0 (structural conditioning); & (4) Protector D.
    So these would be the minimum products that I would need, correct?

See detailed description and instruction from this link:
    Acidifier-2.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/acidifier-2-0/
    Hydrator-3.3
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/hydrator-3-3/
    Fatliquor-5.0
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/fatliquor-5-0/
    Protector-D
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/protector-d/

>>> If I was splurge and get the Leather Doctor Kit v. 4, I would get the Vachetta 2.8 to remove the browning (which is stronger than the Acidifier 2.0, correct?) and I would also get the Degreaser 2.2, correct? The Degreaser would remove stains from bodily contact I have with the bag?

See detailed description and instruction from these links:
    Vachetta-2.8
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/vachetta-2-8/
    Degreaser-2.2
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/degreaser-2-2/

>>> What about other stains? Would they also be removed by the Vachetta 2.8?

Vachetta-2.8 is developed for browning discoloration and reducing the sun tanning intensity effect.
    We need to take a closer look at the stain again with better picture and go from there.

>>> The first picture is of the watermark stains near the bottom of the bag that I used the Mr. Clean on and they lightened up somewhat.

When Mr. Clean is used it makes the leather more porous as it works like very fine sandpaper and subsequently more prone to staining.
    Use Acidifier-2.0 transfer to the foam brush and wet out the entire panel from edge to edge and observe when dry – watermark stains due to difference in pH value the browning will disappear when dry – see picture before the next option.
    More obvious mark may be repeated or proceed with Vachetta-2.8 in similar application and observed when dry – see picture before the next option or step.

>>> The second picture is of the brownish patch near the top of the purse where I had an unknown stain that I used Kiwi Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on and it darkened from the biscuit color of the rest of the bag.

The white residue is most probably from the Kiwi Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and need to be removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.
    The reddish color reveal alkaline overexposure just like our skin having a burning effect and rinsing and ph balancing with Acidifier-2.0 will reduce the burning effect.
    Work on the affected area and feather out from edge to edge.

Second, what do I use to condition
    Since the leather is absorbent conditioning means:
    1 – pH balancing as conditioning back to the original pH neutral or isoelectric-point or pI of the leather.
    2 – Replenishing or topping up the leather moisture level with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
    A higher percentage of fat and oil in the leather will resist ingress of any liquid stains. Note that with a higher percentage of fatliquor the biscuit color may be compromised more seasoned appearance.

>>> and protect the bag?

This Vachetta leather is without any protection or finishes classified as naked unfinished leathers.
    To leave it at its most natural appearance is by applying Protector-D.
    Protector-D is a non-film forming, non-stick scentless protector that enhances a natural draggy-feel.
    It imparts a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling.
    Its natural draggy-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs,
    thus reduce stretch, scuff and abrasion.
    It is also used as a scuff repairer, filling and concealing surface scuffs to improve appearance.
    The drag produces an unforgettable familiar sound sweet to the ears when leather rubs.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-06-2015 at 09:47 AM.

Default Coach Multi Color Tote

I got my kit and finally had time to work on my tote. I followed your instructions for the 2 sets of stains. First is the few water drops near the bottom of the bag. Second, is the unknown stain and darkening on a top panel of the bag. As I said, I followed the instructions, starting with the Acidifier, then moving up to the Vachetta 2.8 but it didn't and the water drops at the bottom actually look worse now. What do I do next? I'm attaching pictures after the cleaning.Name:  COACH TOTE 4 24 2015.JPG
Views: 741
Size:  3.84 MBName:  COACH TOTE 4 24 2015 (2).JPG
Views: 702
Size:  3.95 MB

>>> The first picture is of the watermark stains near the bottom of the bag that I used the Mr. Clean on and they lightened up somewhat.

When Mr. Clean is used it makes the leather more porous as it works like very fine sandpaper and subsequently more prone to staining.
    Use Acidifier-2.0 transfer to the foam brush and wet out the entire panel from edge to edge and observe when dry – watermark stains due to difference in pH value the browning will disappear when dry – see picture before the next option.
    More obvious mark may be repeated or proceed with Vachetta-2.8 in similar application and observed when dry – see picture before the next option or step.

>>> The second picture is of the brownish patch near the top of the purse where I had an unknown stain that I used Kiwi Leather Cleaner and Conditioner on and it darkened from the biscuit color of the rest of the bag.

The white residue is most probably from the Kiwi Leather Cleaner and Conditioner and need to be removed with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system.
    The reddish color reveal alkaline overexposure just like our skin having a burning effect and rinsing and ph balancing with Acidifier-2.0 will reduce the burning effect.
    Work on the affected area and feather out from edge to edge.

Second, what do I use to condition
    Since the leather is absorbent conditioning means:
    1 – pH balancing as conditioning back to the original pH neutral or isoelectric-point or pI of the leather.
    2 – Replenishing or topping up the leather moisture level with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
    A higher percentage of fat and oil in the leather will resist ingress of any liquid stains. Note that with a higher percentage of fatliquor the biscuit color may be compromised more seasoned appearance.

>>> and protect the bag?

This Vachetta leather is without any protection or finishes classified as naked unfinished leathers.
    To leave it at its most natural appearance is by applying Protector-D.
    Protector-D is a non-film forming, non-stick scentless protector that enhances a natural draggy-feel.
    It imparts a non-stick breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling.
    Its natural draggy-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs,
    thus reduce stretch, scuff and abrasion.
    It is also used as a scuff repairer, filling and concealing surface scuffs to improve appearance.
    The drag produces an unforgettable familiar sound sweet to the ears when leather rubs.

>>> First is the few water drops near the bottom of the bag. As I said, I followed the instructions, starting with the Acidifier, then moving up to the Vachetta 2.8 but it didn't and the water drops at the bottom actually look worse now. What do I do next?

Please show some pictures to see how it has response?

>>> Second, is the unknown stain and darkening on a top panel of the bag.

Pictures show two extra shades of the leather:
    1 - In comparison with the original #2, the white residues are removed.
    2 – The lighter shade shows leather grain damages from abrasive cleaning – may be make less evident when it goes into further process with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system.
    3 – The reddish shade like sunburn is evident of prior aggressive high pH value cleaning.
    pH balancing it is with Acidifier-2.0 and it has to be soak beneath the surface.
    Purpose is to preventing the alkaline overexposed leather from denaturing or reverting to rawhide.
    The reddish appearance is one sign of alkaline overexposure and the feel of hand when the leather is wet with tap water is another physical evident.
    Effort is to pH balance if there is a tacky or slimy feel to a squeaky feel and simultaneously may reduce the reddish appearance as well.
    To a certain extent over the pH value threshold of tolerance leather being protein and like any protein example an egg when cooked may not be able to un-cook it.
    pH balance need to continue until the feel of touch returns to squeakiness and thereafter Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 will season the remaining of the section and balance up the color difference to a degree.
    Other option is redying to correct appearance.
    You may want to consider sending the back to me for professional services, if patience and skill level is in wanting.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant / Practitioner
    [email protected]

Thread Information