Thread: Chanel - New needs help! Scratches and darkening as wear on edges

Default Chanel - New needs help! Scratches and darkening as wear on edges

I seldom use my chanel but has found it needing a light restoration already. I would prefer to do the least amount to the bag to restore it to as new condition as possible. The bag was purchased maybe 2 years ago. Please let me know what products to purchase so I can consider whether I want to do this myself as I'm weary of doing something harmful to my nearly new bag. This bag has never been conditioned and there has not been any product applied to it. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by lobonn; 02-27-2015 at 09:37 PM.

Tips:
    Good pictures and better if you had put a number to the pictures for easy reference.

Picture #1
    Picture shows the edges of both straps and bag accumulates body soiling with a darkening effect with a light discoloration to it. Probably the sweat contamination has cause the lost of both color and fatliquor. Topcoat wear off also plays a part in intensifying the color. Solution to the problem is as follows:

Removing the Darkening Effect:
    1 – The leather is degrease with Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 system to remove foreign contamination.

Refresh Color:
    2 – The leather color is refreshed with Hydrator-3.3 to activate the dormant or excess dyestuff from beneath surface

Soften leather with tensile strength:
    3 – The white micro crazing and cracking shows the dryness of the leather fatliqour moisture content and will develop into cracks when ignore. A full Fatliquor-5.0 moisture contents will be up to 14% when read with a leather moisture meter or an equivalent wood moisture meter.

4 – Clear topcoat with AnilineTop-21G renewal will bring back the magnification and amplification of the refreshed crust color.

5 – Protector-B+ will help reduce friction rubs that wear out topcoat with a buttery-feel.

Picture #2
    Close-up view shows the micro cracking into the leather crust with a lightening effect.
    Damaged dyes with a lightening appearance.
    Accumulated body soiling with a darkening effect.
    Solution to the problem is the same as picture #1

Picture #3 & #4 & #5
    Yellowing effect is due to ageing sweaty soiling and this area may feel tacky when wet as the leather denatures.
    To reduce the yellowing effect and the tacky feel if any is by pH balancing with Acidifier-2.0
    Finger nails scratches and scuffing is rectified with AnilineTop-21G after restorative cleaning or degreasing as mentioned in Picture #1.

Picture #6 & #7
    Edging worn and rough to the touch is repair with Bond-3D, without roughness is with Adhesor-73 or just AnilineTop-21G suffice in this general sequence of process:

1 – Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0

2 – Hydrator-3.3

3 – Fatliquor-5.0

4 – Bond-3D (optional)

5 – Adhesor-73 (optional)

6 – AnilineTop-21G

7 – Protector-B+

>>> Please let me know what products to purchase so I can consider whether I want to do this myself as I'm weary of doing something harmful to my nearly new bag.

Minimum system products you may need is with Kit-A6.tc below or you would prefer Leather Doctor services email me direct how thorough you want it done.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant

Name:  Kit A6.tc.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  1.06 MB
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/leather...finishing-kit/
    Leather Doctor® Kit A6.tc, aniline leather topcoat refinishing kit is designed for topcoat repairs from friction wear, accidental scratch, scuff and abrasion to deteriorating greasy sweat stains. These topcoat damages are identified as white, dull or darkening stain from bare body contacts. Accidental whitish damages in most cases are free of soiling and direct AnilineTop-21G application with in between dry sanding rectifies most damages. Repairs to topcoat from daily wears that dulls will require a degreasing to remove penetrated rub-in soiling prior to topcoat application in a sequence process including Degreaser-2.2 follows with Rinse-3.0; Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0 prior to topcoat application. In a greasy and sweaty topcoat damaged areas especially to the headrest and armrest, a deep degreasing is essential follows with Acidifier-2.0 to stabilize the hydrogen bonding between the protein fibers with the other leather constituent like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. This deep degreasing process is assisted by leather Eraser-4 in both the wet and dry cleaning process to remove soiling particulates off the leather surface. Hydrator-3.3 helps in the colloidal water movement bringing suspended soiling particulates to resurface through a dwelling and wicking process. Fat and oil is replenished by Fatliquor-5.0 in an emulsion form to penetrate into the leather structure. Once the fat and oil is hydrogen bond with the protein fiber, the water content breaks free leaving a breathing space for natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness preventing the leather structure from collapsing during compressing and flexing while the oil lubricates the fiber from sliding smoothly over one another like millions of connecting hinges. Protector-B+ impart a non-stick, rub-resistant surface with a buttery feel helps reduce friction wear to the topcoat and extended a high level of appearance for a longer period of time. When the leather is contaminated with foreign soiling, it is essential to look at topcoat refinishing in a holistic approach. Note that the cleaning and rejuvenating products suffix denotes its pH value in this leather-safe aniline leathers topcoat refinishing system.

>>> Do you think I should get it for the blue Chanel instead?

Are you asking about color redyeing as well for your Chanel bag?

>>> Yes I am. I'm wondering which is "less risky" to do or if I should even attempt to retouch my bag?

My recommendation of a topcoat refinishing is less risky of you messing during the redyeing process.
    It is easier to recolor “opaque” coloring just like your Burberry wallet.
    What you see is what you get as the color covers up by layers you get the original color.
    Working with “transparent” aniline color is just like painting with water coloring versus oil color.
    It will produce a range of color intensity and eventually almost black while the beginning is always very light and pale.
    Thus re-dyeing black or dark colors is easier then controlling the light to medium range.
    One solution for light and medium range coloring is to cut or dilute the concentrated dyestuff from going too dark in your case would be Navy-Blue and using distilled water for “staining” Aniline-21 or Aniline-76Clear for “coating” Aniline-76 at a 25%, 50% or 75% mixed to control the light to medium range color to match existing color.
    Originally this leather is dyed with “staining” dyestuff like Aniline-21 then topcoated and because of the existing topcoat that impede staining again it seldom achieve the best appearance.
    Thus we introduce the “coating” Aniline-76 that will coats over existing topcoat without a problem.
    It is a compromise from staining to coating to achieve an even appearance with the plus point that the leather becomes less absorbent from soiling and produces a better gloss or satin effect to it.
    This coating system also smooth out any abrasion with Adhesor-73 prior to Aniline-76 and AnilineTop-76G/S.

>>> Based on the pictures and my description, do you think there's a need to redye my bag?

It depends on how critical we scrutinize it.
    When you look at the stitching you will see the leather pales in comparison.
    And when compare with the lining again there is color intensity difference.

Note that aniline dyestuff will eventually fades, however beneath the surface dyestuff may be activate with Hydrator-3.3 just like adding hot water to our tea or coffee.
    Depends on original dyeing in most cases color are return to the surface.
    Color intensity also diminishes with the loss of an equivalent Fatliquor-5.0 (an emulsion ionic charged fat and oil) and replenishing up to 14% fatliquor content level will contribute to the color intensity.
    And lastly AnilineTop-21/76G will magnify and amplify the color intensity as well with a little testing on hidden areas to evaluate how much intensity of coloring is necessary.

Tips:
    When redyeing is desired and no intention to strip the existing topcoat Adhesor-73 > Aniline-76 > AnilineTop-76G is recommended.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information