Thread: 2014 Ford King Ranch F150 – Semi-Aniline / Perforated leathers

Default 2014 Ford King Ranch F150 – Semi-Aniline / Perforated leathers

I have a 2014 F150 King Ranch, which I understand has semi aniline leather.
    I want to be sure I have the best products to maintain this beautiful leather.
    Can you advise which kit is most appropriate for my truck?

Please see attached.
    I have done a water drop test and it does not seem to soak into the leather after 1 minute.
    To date I have one wiped the seats with a damp microfibre cloth and used the ford recommended king ranch conditioner.
    As mentioned before I am concerned about not having a proper cleaner and making sure this leather stays like new for as long as possible.

Name:  image1.JPG
Views: 5064
Size:  1.26 MB

Name:  image2.JPG
Views: 1978
Size:  1.44 MB

>>> I have done a water drop test and it does not seem to soak into the leather after 1 minute.

This leather has a topcoat and has not developed any micro crazing yet so the water pools on the surface.
    But you have to consider the perforated panel where the cross section of the perforation is suede.
    Water will seep into the hole and spread side wards.
    This is also where the original fatliquor will evaporates and stiff up the leather and when flex will have hairline cracks developed.
    The panel where the King Ranch is embossed is a vegetable-tanned based leather I believe gives a different “hand” as compared to the other softer chrome-tanned based leather.
    So you have three trims of leather in one seat and the characteristic may differs from usage and differentiate out by usage and time.

>>> To date I have one wiped the seats with a damp microfibre cloth and used the ford recommended king ranch conditioner.

Micro fiber is only good for dry wipe and a poor material when comes to soil extraction when damp a good quality cotton terry towel is most ideal. As long as water pools on the surface damp wiping does no harm to the leather structure. Bear in mind that the perforated holes cross section is suede and any products not meant for suede will denature it.
    There are two levels of conditioning one for below surface to impart suppleness to the leather thus prevents cracking and the other above surface to reduce friction rubs that wears the finishes off imparting a non-stick buttery feel to it as well.
    Conditioners for below surface should be safe on suede, does not have solid that will clogs up the perforation holes.

>>> As mentioned before I am concerned about not having a proper cleaner and making sure this leather stays like new for as long as possible.

Picture #2 is already showing signs of overstretching on the inner perforated panels.
    This happens when the leather seems to be sticking as we try to shift, thus the leather is drag and stretch as we shift sitting.
    Tips:
    Protector-B+ with its buttery-feel, non-stick, rub-resistant helps shift sitting easier without a stretch makes overstretching of the leather less apparent.
    Correction of the overstretching is done with Hydrator-3.3 relaxing and correcting it to the original dimension prior to Fatliquor-5.0 replenished. Severe overstretching is corrected by Impregnator-26.

Leather Care is done on a routine, periodic and corrective interval depending on the soiling level and types of soil or stains.

This King Ranch (A.s) Perforated – Semi-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide is a good source for reference.
    Name:  King Ranch (A.s).jpg
Views: 1348
Size:  431.8 KB

Product information:

>>> Can you advise which kit is most appropriate for my truck?

Name:  Aa3.JPG
Views: 1682
Size:  1.58 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit Aa3, auto (King Ranch) leather care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping leather interior at their highest level of appearance while maintaining their structural chemistry integrity and enhancing their suppleness with needle holes tear strength. Auto leathers are often under hot sun and those exposed to thermal heating during cold season dries out their fatliquor sooner. The first place to check for leather dryness is the stitching holes, if they are perfectly round the leather is healthy, dried out leathers will show signs of elongation or splits. The diminishing of the fatliquor will results in stiffness to the leather and when flexed or stretched during used will lead to mud cracks effects or rips first to the stitching holes. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to hydrate the stick together fibers in these weak points prior to fatliquor replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and plump with increase tensile strength. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness, tearing and cracking. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub resistant protection with a buttery feel that makes sliding in and out of seat smoothly. The rub-resistant abilities reduce friction noises that translate into less friction wear especially to the side bolster. Protector-D with its non-slip grip is design for the leathered steering wheel and the shifter knob. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Clean-3.8 and Rinse-3.0 respectively to the steering wheel leather helps reduce greasy sticky soiling build-up. Removing of unwanted stains such as the common new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-4.4. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system.

Hi Roger

Please see the current status of the repair. I have used hydrator for 24 hours under plastic. I have just applied fat liquor. Please let me know if you have any further suggestions or comments. Thanks. Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  1.47 MB

>>> I have used hydrator for 24 hours under plastic.

Have you work crosswise to lessens the the creases - it still can be work as long as the leather is relaxed with Hydrator-3.3.

When the dimension is satisfactorily back to shape - Fatliquor-5.0 continues When dry fatliquor content reading can be taken from the perforated holes and 14% would be good enough. (or fully saturated after a few cycles of replenishings).
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 02-23-2015 at 03:00 PM.

Do I wait for fat liquor to dry prior to applying hydrator again?

Don't have to.

You can go back and forth with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3 . . . but always start with Hydrator-3.3 and ends with Fatliauor-5.0.

So I thought I had his back in shape and after hydrating and protecting with b+ and driving around all day the leather still bunches at the same spot or creases. Is it possible to tighten the leather again?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  968.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  1.55 MB

Pics for your reference

The right panel does not response as well as the left panel under stress – this have to do with the original leather selection see next post. By the way what’s your weight? Do you sit flat or lean to the right side when sitting.

I am skinny at 160lbs. I think I sit straight but maybe I am leaning a bit. It seems to me that the leather cut was perhaps a bit off from the factory.

In my opinion, F150 should continue with their original leather selection by putting saddlery leather on wheels to save this distortion problem.

Leather care is at the tail end of the entire leather seat designing decision and it is the designer or manufacturer responsibility to look into all aspect that related to seating distortion.

Hydrator-3.3 is to bring back the distortion to its original dimension but if the leather continues to stretch and distort with normal usage then the original selection of the leather is not to specification. The selection stages start from the hide’s it selves and the gender of the animal may plays a part with bull hides providing the best strength. Next is the tanning type with vegetable-tanning provides more rigidity as almost all traditional saddle is made off and I believe King Ranch have originally put the saddle on four wheels for modern cowboys but not this leather that we see. Next is the cut of the hide and not every part of he hide performs the same as there is the inherent belly and frank wrinkles that distort easily under stress. Other possibility includes the thickness of the leather for dimensional stability.

Fatliquor-5.0 imparts suppleness of the leather prevents stiffness that leads to cracking from stress.

Protector-B+ serves to shift sit easily thus reduces friction rubs or stretch.

>>> Is it possible to tighten the leather again?

Tightening of the leather at this juncture may be rectified from the reverse suede side by saturating with Impregnator-26.

Will the hydrator remove protector b+? I will hydrate again and add Fatliquor to see what I can do with it. I don't want to remove he seat covers as this is a warranty item in my mind at that point.

>>> Will the hydrator remove protector b+?

All right if it is removed you will need this Protector-B+ very frequent to reduce friction rubs.

>>> I will hydrate again and add Fatliquor to see what I can do with it. I don't want to remove he seat covers as this is a warranty item in my mind at that point.

I suggest you have the seat replaced if warranty allows it.

Does this stretching distortion also occur in other seats?

Just to clarify, if I hydrate and use fat liquor I will need to reapply protector b+?

The other seats are barely used but there is no signs of similar wear

>>> Just to clarify, if I hydrate and use fat liquor I will need to reapply protector b+?

Yes!

Hydrator-3.3 is to relax and stretch the leather back to dimension.

Fatliquor-5.0 is to impart suppleness with softness and strength when dry from stiffness that leads to cracks.

The above two mentioned products are for below surface conditioning and any of the Fatliquor-5.0 residue remains on the finishes surface is further clean off with Hydrator-3.3 to eliminate any residue stickiness or shine if any when dry.

Protector-B+ is above surface conditioner and is always applied to impart a buttery-feel against friction rubs.

Protector-B+ is also removed from friction rubs and is always replenished to protect the leather finishes from wearing out when it looses its buttery-feel.

>>> The other seats are barely used but there is no signs of similar wear

What we are seeing is a “stretching” or “dimension distortion” problem not a wear problem.
    When proper leather selection and specification is practiced, a leather seat may be worn from friction rubs but still stays in original forms without dimensional distortion.

Hi Roger

After applying fat liquor, should you dampen a cloth with hydrator and wipe the seat to inspect for unabsorbed fat liquor?

It indicates inspecting with hydrator but not certain on the correct method

Also do you then need to apply fat liquor again after inspection?

Thanks.

>>> After applying fat liquor, should you dampen a cloth with hydrator and wipe the seat to inspect for unabsorbed fat liquor?

Yes, any unabsorbed Fatliquor-5.0 should be wipe away with Hydrator-3.3 to prevents unwanted shines and tackiness.

>>> It indicates inspecting with hydrator but not certain on the correct method.

Pre-inspection may be detected by eyesight for extra shine and by hand if it feels extra stickiness.

>>> Also do you then need to apply fat liquor again after inspection?

No, when dry apply Protector-B+ instead.

Thread Information