Thread: Bicast - Is this bicast or pigment coated. .... and how do I fix the surface problem?

Default Bicast - Is this bicast or pigment coated. .... and how do I fix the surface problem?

Hi.
    I have had my sofas for 7 years now. Over the last few years I've had a problem with top coat wrinkling up/wearing/peeling away. Not sure what type of leather coating it has so firstly if anybody could please put me right on that one?
    The leather underneath the coating is a slightly darker shade but otherwise looks fine. Would I be better off trying to re coat the pieces that have worn or taking the coating off the rest? Looking for cheapest option really as I don't want to spend a lot. The sofa has a few cat scratches so will never be perfect again, but hoping to improve it a little! Many thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

>>> Not sure what type of leather coating it has so firstly if anybody could please put me right on that one? The leather underneath the coating is a slightly darker shade but otherwise looks fine.

Look like this is a metallic finishes with silver as the secondary top coloring and the standard opaque grey as the primary coloring. Most of secondary coloring are much weaker to wear one reason I suspect is that there should also be a sealer coating like Adhesor-73 prior to the secondary coloring coating.

>>> Would I be better off trying to re coat the pieces that have worn or taking the coating off the rest?

It would be better to remove the entire coating within the panel and recoating it with matching colors, otherwise where ever there is a peeling the entire section or panel have to be removed as well. Removing the secondary silver coloring is easily done with Stripper-2.3 without removing the primary color with adjustment to the Stripper-2.3 by adding distilled water just enough not to remove the primary coloring. Once the Stripper-2.3 strength is adjusted accordingly, it is as easy as spray and wipe.

Refinishing process should take this sequence:

1] Strip the Secondary Silver with Stripper-2.3 (stripping strength re-adjusted with distilled water from removing off the primary color).

2] Apply Adhesor-73 for adhesion promotion.

3] Apply Metallic-98 (Silver to match).

4] Non-stick, Rub-resistant protection with Protector-B+ or scentless B to reduce future reoccurrence when done on a routine basis.

Name:  a207916145391d7314e0a1_l__25638.1411074241.386.513.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  10.4 KB
    Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3 is a pH 2.3 residue free hydrocarbon formulated duality leather finish stripper with bleeding control. It is use to remove existing old finishes or overspray for all leather types.
    Instruction:
    1 Spray, agitate with stripping Brush-2 and or with leather Eraser-4 and extract with terry towel before it dries.
    Tips:
    A bristle detailing brush works into the grooves for a more thorough overall stripping unless the surface is without grain then Eraser-4 with its flat surface contact and efficient traction makes stripping much easier.
    Horsehair Brush-1 is recommended for all smooth leathers without heavy surface finishes safe against grain damages. A stiffer stripping Brush-2 is recommended for heavier finishes, however always test against grain damages. Leather rejuvenating with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system is mandatory thereafter to restore the suppleness of the leather structure. Stripping by wetting the leather structure and when dry thereafter will leave the leather stiffer and should be handle with care from cracking it. Leather rejuvenating after inspection with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system is mandatory to restore any discoloration from migrating dyestuff if any and returning the suppleness of the leather structure to as soft as you wish.

Name:  a207916145391bb7252556_l__02220.1411074293.386.513.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  23.0 KB
    Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73 is an auxiliary for refinishing pigmented, aniline, bicast and simulated leathers.
    Packing types are available in RTU and Fill-up.
    RTU version is ready-to-use straight from the bottle.
    Fill-Up version is concentrate in the bottle to be fill-up with distilled water @ ratio 1: 1 prior to use to save on shipping weight.

This is a water based compact resin adhesion promoter for:
    a) Smooth abraded surfaces,
    b) Ensure proper sealing and adhesion prior to color coating and
    c) Used after Wax Effect-8.6 prior to topcoat application.
    Tips:
    Strip clean of foreign contamination prior to application – use Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0.
    Note:
    Test for darkening effect on a hidden area prior to actual application.
    Instruction:
    A) To Smooth Abraded Surfaces:
    1 Shake well; apply direct or with appropriate brush (including foam brush).
    2 Let dry naturally or speed dry with blow dryer.
    3 When almost dry compress with a smooth object (leather spatula or a teaspoon).
    4 Remove surface buildup with 1000/2000grit sandpaper.
    B) To Ensure Proper Sealing and Adhesion:
    1 Shake well, spread evenly with horsehair Brush-1 or foam brush.
    2 Use horsehair Brush-1 to agitate into grooves and worn areas.
    3 Let dry naturally or speed dry with blow dryer.
    4 Darkening areas is stretch with a smooth spatula or spoons.
    C) To seal after Wax Effect-8.6 prior to topcoat application:
    1 Shake well, spread evenly with horsehair Brush-1 or foam brush.
    2 Let dry naturally or speed dry with blow dryer.

Name:  a2079161454f270024cbbd_l__68087.1411074284.386.513.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  29.7 KB
    Leather Doctor® Metallic-98 is design to create a metallic secondary color effect.
    Colors are available in Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper.
    Tips:
    1 Prep clean – use Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.
    2 Degreasing – use Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 or Acidifier-2.0.
    3 Rejuvenate leather structure where necessary – use Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 > Hydrator-3.3.
    4 Strengthen weak and worn areas – use Impregnator-26.
    5 Ensure adhesion – use Adhesor-73.
    6 Control flow and color stability – use Thickener-48.
    Instruction:
    1 Fine light spraying.
    2 Allow in-between drying with subsequent light coating.
    Topcoat:
    1 To seal colorcoat – use MicroTop-54 with choice of gloss, satin or matte luster.
    Non-stick, Rub-resistance Protections:
    Use Protector-B+ to impart a buttery-feel with a classic leather scent, for scentless use Protector-B.

Name:  a207916145391d0a451a63_l__69121.1411074303.386.513.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  19.1 KB
    Leather Doctor® Protector-B+ imparts a buttery-feel with a classic leather scent is design for pigmented, aniline and nubuck oil pull-up leather types. This is a non-film forming, non-stick, rub-resistant protector that enhances a soft natural tactile feel for imparting a breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling and preventing the too common pesky ballpoint from ever ready rolling out its nasty ink. Moreover, for helping to release those tenacious blue jeans dye-transfer stains obviously on light colored leathers easily. Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch; scuff and abrasion with reduce friction squeaks.
    Instruction:
    1 Shake well, mists spray and spread with foam brush and it is ready to use when dry.
    2 During routine application, use a lint free white towel to pick up soiling at the same time.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information