Thread: 2007 Porsche 911 - water cooked the leather, making the stains hard!

Default 2007 Porsche 911 - water cooked the leather, making the stains hard!

I have a 2007 Porsche 911. While driving I spilled some ordinary water on the seats on my way to work. I didn't think much of it, since it was only water, so I just pushed the excess water off the seat and went into work. After work I returned to find two terrible looking stains on the bottom seat. When I touch them they feel like the water cooked the leather, making the stains hard. I have not let anyone ride in my car for fear of them cracking. I should mention I live in Vegas and it is hot. A friend found your website and said he heard good things about you guys. Can you help? What do I need to do to restore the seats? The seats are black with perforated inserts.

Name:  20140729_101502.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  3.32 MB

Name:  20140729_101534.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  1.68 MB

All leathers will shrink when subject to heat and this incident is no exception.

We have to consider finished leather as a two-tier stratum; above the leather structural crust is another finished layer that is most probably embossed.

The shrinkage to the leather structure is restorable back to original dimension, while the surface layer is already damaged and delaminated will need a refinishing, and there is no way we can get the embossing texture back.

There is two approach to salvage the situation, how to reach out to the below surface leather structure more effectively is what we need to consider, to remove the damaged finishes first before leather rejuvenating it or after.

An absorbent test will decide our move; we can place a circular cotton face cleaning tissue saturated with Hydrator-3.3 and cling wrapped to control evaporation on the center of the damaged strip for about 4 hours. If the damaged finished allows Hydrator-3.3 to seep through then do the rest of the damaged strip accordingly.
    1: Cut the shape of the damaged finishes using the stretchable paper towel and placing cotton face padding over it and cling wrapped for control evaporation.
    2: Replenish the reservoir of cotton padding up to 24 hours of dwell time or longer duration for a stretching back to original dimension.
    3: If the finishes is easily remove by now, remove entirely and continue stretching back the leather structure back or original dimension.
    4: To retain the original the empty leather structure need to be fatliquor (fat, oil and water) replenished with Fatliquor-5.0.
    5: Fatliquor-5.0 is the answer to restore the leather back to original dimension with suppleness.

We will like to see some pictures of your progress to give tips where application to speed up your process.

Once this stage is accomplished we shall discuss about the refinishing process.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Name:  20140814_191247.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  2.37 MB
    Name:  20140815_081349.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  1.99 MB
    I finally received my kit and tried the test. Not much happened. What's next?

>>> I finally received my kit and tried the test. Not much happened. What's next?

We are still at this stage:

2: Replenish the reservoir of cotton padding up to 24 hours of dwell time or longer duration for a stretching back to original dimension.

Please repeat, replenish the cotton reservoir with Hydrator-3.3 every 24 hours keeping the moisture level high and let dwell for a 72 hours period for further evaluation (if Hydrator-3.3 able to penetrate the color coating and how soft the leather structure becomes and the ability to be stretched).

Tips:
    Cover over with cling wrapper to control evaporation.
    Remember that we have to reach out below the surface of the finishes coating into the leather structure.
    The contracted damaged finishes may have to be finally removed before we can reach out to the leather crust.
    This finished layer will probably be removed once we start to stretch back the leather structure once hydrated.

Thread Information