Thread: Bicast Leather Delaminating - VERY Soft spot on leather couch. Need Help

Default Bicast Leather Delaminating - VERY Soft spot on leather couch. Need Help

There is a spot on my leather couch that looks like is stretched or softened. Its a very weak spot. My guess is a chemical got on it and even though this was months ago, it keeps getting bigger and bigger.

What can I do?

Name:  hdr_00042_0.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  1.98 MB

>>> What can I do?

It is the leather structure problem most likely associated with Bicast leather.

Need few more overall view pictures to positively identify the leather type including if possible the reverse side of the damage.

Leather Doctor Bond-3D is used for both de-lamination and rip repairs (will go into more details) after more information about the cause of the damage.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

You shouldn't ignore these issues, next time try to solve the problem with your leather the moment you see signs of a problem. The more you ignore it the worse it gets.
    For More Details visit us at http://sydneyleathercleaners.com.au/

Ok folks here are some more photos and information.

The spot looks like the very very thin top layer is delaminating.

Name:  hdr_00043_0.jpg
Views: 1205
Size:  1.16 MBName:  hdr_00044_0.jpg
Views: 1101
Size:  1.10 MBName:  IMG_20140803_140530_995.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  1.20 MBName:  IMG_20140803_140538_748.jpg
Views: 1111
Size:  1.21 MB

Quote Originally Posted by sydneyleathercleaners View Post
    You shouldn't ignore these issues, next time try to solve the problem with your leather the moment you see signs of a problem. The more you ignore it the worse it gets.
    Ya good advice. Honestly I didn't know it would get larger and larger and didn't believe there was a way to fix it but now that its a larger spot and very prone to ripping, im a worried about it.

Quote Originally Posted by grayman1984 View Post
    Ya good advice. Honestly I didn't know it would get larger and larger and didn't believe there was a way to fix it but now that its a larger spot and very prone to ripping, im a worried about it.

Bicast is laminated leather, a urethane finishes bond over a split-suede.

The situation now is just simply delaminating with the lamination still intact; it would be worse if the laminating breaks up and missing.

The ideal solution is simply re-bonding it and retaining its original suppleness, any repairs stiffness will cracks the finishes and the split leather below.

The best recommendation is to use a water-based leather bond that allows sufficient time for adjustment prior to drying. This natural drying time allows time to maneuver the application of bonding in-between and gently feeling the contact and make adjustment without wrinkling the finishes. Any excess is squeeze out through the needle holes.

Tool you will need to repair this problem is a syringe and towel to absorb excess and cleanup. Water is needed to clean up spills if any on the surface without any damages unlike a solvent product will.

Product you will only need is leather Bond-3D.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Name:  a207916145391d12af19a1_s.jpg
Views: 1048
Size:  8.7 KB
    Leather Doctor Leather Bond-3D (30ml)

Leather Doctor® Leather Bond-3D is for leather structure bonding repairs, such as abrasion, cat-scratch, delamination as standalone or as filling repairs with Stucco-90, Micro-54, Anline-76 and Aniline-21. This water-based medium soft polyurethane leather bond will not lift the leather finishes unlike other dry solvent-based glue. Works in conjunction with leather Patch-4S as sub patch and suede fibers as fillers. Excess clean up when dry will require the help of Bond-7A.

Thread Information