Thread: Chanel - black lambskin leather bag corner abraded

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chanel - black lambskin leather bag corner abraded

I purchased my black lambskin leather classic bag last month and I scuffed it and it took a small portion of the top coat off. I tried to fix it on my own and now I have ruined the corner of the bag.

I have...
    1. Dyed it numerous times with different over the counter dyes such as melatonian and kiwi.
    2. Didn't like that the dye didn't match completely so I took it off with alcohol whiles to take the color off. Unfortunely it took more than the color, it also took the top coat off.
    3. I've tried lovin my bags delicate leather collection and Cadillac shoe cleaner and conditioner to try to restore it with no luck.

I would like to restore it to the original color, texture and feel (since one of the spray dyes I used made the leather feel stiff) as much as possible. I'm open to any help I can get but was wondering if I could strip the stuff I put on it, re dye and then put the top coat on it.

What products should I use and is recommended? The rest of the bag is fine, only the one lonely corner needs a re-dye to match the rest of the bag.

One damaged corner

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2502
Size:  520.2 KB

Harder to see in this picture but it's on the top corner

Views: 2786
Size:  2.08 MB

Undamaged corners

Views: 2029
Size:  801.3 KB

Views: 2305
Size:  1.93 MB

Views: 1810
Size:  1.68 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Luxe328i; 07-18-2014 at 10:02 AM.

Sequence of processing solution to the problem is recommended as follows:

1] All non-compatible dyes and conditioners has to be stripped off with Stripper-2.3 and/or Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 accordingly to remove all foreign contamination, wet with towel extraction and dry with Eraser-4.
    2] Alcohol and spray dyes that resulted in leather stiffness need to be relaxed and stretch back with Hydrator-3.3 and Eraser-4 when dry.
    3] Leather suppleness is restored with Fatliquor-5.0 and Eraser-4 when dry.
    4] Adhesor-73 repairs abraded skin smoothen it when dry.
    5] Aniline-76 coats over Adhesor-73.
    6] AnilineTop-21 coats over AnilineTop-76
    7] Protector-B+ rub-resistant protector reduces scuff and abrasion.

When you are ready with the system products, I will walk you through the steps.

Alternatively is to send the bag to me for a professional service.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Products mentioned is found in this Kit A7.cl
    Name:  a207916145391c98394d82_m.JPG
Views: 1592
Size:  88.1 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit A7.cl – Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit A7.cl, aniline leather dye refinishing kit is designed for dyestuff and topcoat refinishing from the simple sunlight fading to the severely sweat damages from body oil and grease. Most severely penetrated, prolonged and neglected stains show a darkening effect with a sticky feel have its topcoat and dyestuff probably deteriorated by the sweat. When the stain feels sticky, it is a sign of leather denaturing and reverting to rawhide from breaking of bonds with the tanning agent. When sign of color is transfer to a white towel, it indicates that the dyestuff has also break bonds with the protein fiber. When leather is stiff or shows signs of whitish residue migrating, it shows that the fatliquor is breaking bonds as well with the protein fiber. The main component of the leather protein fiber is amphoteric while the other constituents are not; shifting of the pH mainly caused from sweat to alkalinity affects the pH imbalance. To revert from denaturing into rawhide prior to topcoat refinishing, contaminated alkaline soiling is removed with Degreaser-2.2, a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that emulsifies greasy contamination besides controlling dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of a healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Custom redyeing commences prior to topcoat refinishing. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick rub-resistant protection with a buttery-feel that shield against sticky soiling and reduce friction noises. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe aniline leathers dyestuff and topcoat refinishing system.

I have all my items, please let me know where to start

Restorative cleaning, repair & refinishing may take this sequence of process and
    Each successful phase will lead on to the next phase.

1: Restorative Cleaning
    2: Hydrating
    3: Stain Dyeing
    4: Hydrating > Fatliquoring
    5: Repairs Abrasion
    6: Topcoating
    7: Rub-resistant Protection

1 phase - Restorative Cleaning:
    The objective of this restorative cleaning phase is to remove all foreign contamination.
    Base on first 2 pictures (good to put a reference # to the pictures), the grain seems flatten, it could be due to the overbuilt of products used or the grain has been abraded off. The grain texture once abraded off is not replaceable, built up when removed may restore back the texture. We have to see what the result is during the restorative cleaning phase.

Instructions:
    1: From picture #2 of your posting, we will only want to work out the corner triangle.
    2: Transfer Stripper-2.3 to a cotton swab and work the foreign contamination off the leather.
    3: Change to a new cotton swab each time the cotton swab picks up soiling.
    4: To control the leather from becoming too dry and stiff when dry fro inspection, transfer Hydrator-3.3 to a new cotton swab and hydrate the clean area, while still damp or almost dry apply Fatliquor-5.0 using cotton swab as well.
    5: We will see how it turns out when dry – before we decide what is the next move.

Note:
    Stripper-2.3 works to strip foreign contamination; it will also remove existing topcoats, so have to do it carefully without dripping. At pH 2.3 it helps to reduce dye bleeding and protonate the leather protein fiber cationic or ionic positive (+ve) so that the hydrogen bonding between the anionic or ionic negative (-ve) leather constituents like the tanning agents, dyestuff and fatliquor ionic attraction at the molecular level remaining strong.

Hydrator-3.3 at pH 3.3 works in harmony with the leather pH neutral or iso-electric point or pI of the leather allowing the leather fiber to relax back to its original dimension and helps colloidal water movement within the leather structure wicking them to the surface to be towel extracted, brush with horsehair Brush-1 or erase with Eraser-4 when crispy dry.

Fatliquor-5.0 at pH 5.0 is an anionic fatliquor composes of fat that plumps the leather structure with fullness, oil that lubricates each fibril so that it glides smoothly to impart softness and strength with suppleness and water that leave breathing spaces or pores free of leather natural transpiration. Fatliquor-5.0 - fat, oil and water in an emulsion!

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 08-07-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Please post next phase

Next phase is Hydrator-3.3. . .

Instruction will base on outcome of Phase 1:

Please show pictures as of your first two pictures and if you have some feedback, the instruction will be more specific.

If there are possible stains within the leather structure, Hydrator-3.3 will need to move them off to the surface.

If there is loss of color then proceed with Aniline-21.

If the surface is entire clean Hydrator-3.3 acts as a surface active agent, dwell to separates the stick-together fiber and is ready for Fatliquor-5.0

Thread Information