Thread: Bicast - Perfumy odor/scent - how to remove?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bicast - Perfumy odor/scent - how to remove?

Hi, hoping for some great advice. I have a very nice Italian-made leather couch bought second-hand several months ago. Sometime between when I first visited it and when I picked it up, the previous owner must have sprayed it with some sort of household polish or cleaner, not noticed while it was in her apartment.

Once I had it home, and especially on warm or humid days, I discovered that a strong perfumey scent emanates from the couch.

Hoping for advice on how to get rid of it. Or else -- I will have to get rid of the couch. I've tried several things, some produced results lasting for up to a week or two, others less. Today, the smell remains much too strong. What I've tried:

--Put couch out in bright sun during the day. Did this for several days.
    --Leave couch outside, not in sun, to breathe for a few days.
    --Spray with mild solution of vinegar and water, leave on for 5-10 minutes, towel off.
    --Same as above, just water without vinegar.
    --Wash with Lexol leather cleaner following manufacturer instructions. (Promising results for several weeks; after two months, not so much.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Try Placing it outside for 24 hrs but not in direct sunlight, as that will make your leather lose its color and shine.
    For More Details visit us at http://sydneyleathercleaners.com.au/

This perfumery scent needs to be stripped off the leather finishes and is done with Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system process with this Kit B2 and if do not like scent ask to replace Protector-D+ with Protector-B.

The approach is to apply the Prep-7.7 and let it dwell as long as you wish even overnight, thereafter the sticky residue is cleaned off with Clean-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0.

A buttery-feel non-stick rub-resistant protector is applied thereafter.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Leather Doctor Kit B2 – Bicast Leather Care Kit

Name:  a2079161454f21792abafc_l.JPG
Views: 408
Size:  140.2 KB
    Leather Doctor® Kit B2, bicast leather care kit is an innovative system developed to keep the leather at the highest level of appearance while reducing the potential stickiness problem. Practically most stains are removed by using Prep-7.7 that includes the ballpoint ink and dye transfer from the common new blue jeans. Sticky food substances like chewing gum as easily removed as well. Periodic cleaning is done with Cleaner-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 to a healthy squeaky clean. Protector-D+ imparts a non-stick draggy-feel against sticky soiling; a rub-resistant against friction wear; filling and concealing scuff marks and diffuses a leather scent that enhances leather sensuous and luxuriously.This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as Clean-3.8, and Rinse-3.0 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 07-18-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Many thanks to you both. The "let it breathe outside, in from the sun" approach had been tried and ultimately didn't seem to do much.

Roger, you recommend the bicast leather care kit even for what I'm sure is a standard leather? Just checking. And the buttery Protector-B, I guess, would be your choice out of the various non-scented Protectors? Again just checking.

Thanks again.

You may think it is a “standard leather”.

No! It is positively identified as “Bicast leather”.

Bicast leather imitates “aniline wax pull-up leathers”.

Almost all aniline leathers are absorbent not yours.

Bicast will pools water on the surface with its impervious urethane coating just likes most laminated flooring.

Protector-B imparts a buttery-feel with a gloss effect.

Protector-D imparts a draggy-feel with a matte effect.

Both are intermixable.

Again, if you think the smell is surface applied then it needs to be stripped with Prep-7.7 is the right approach.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

OK, great. Thanks, Roger. Appreciate protector clarification along with the rest.

>>> OK great. Will work with this brush. The couch is the one with a scent that won't go away, from something used by the previous owner.

The unwanted scent is considered as foreign contamination and any residue need to be stripped off with help from Prep-7.7.

Simply apply Prep-7.7 evenly with the foam brush and let it sit for one, two or three days.

Thereafter clean off the sticky residue with Clean-3.8 with horsehair Brush-1 (using a wiping action like our car windscreen wiper, works faster and lighter than a standard clumsy hand size brush) and towel extract until towel shows clean.

Spray Rinse-3.0 and towel extract until towel shows clean.

Your unwanted scent should be totally eliminated.

Let me know if it is still there!

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thread Information