Thread: Bicast - Perfumy odor/scent - how to remove?

Default Bicast - Perfumy odor/scent - how to remove?

Hi, hoping for some great advice. I have a very nice Italian-made leather couch bought second-hand several months ago. Sometime between when I first visited it and when I picked it up, the previous owner must have sprayed it with some sort of household polish or cleaner, not noticed while it was in her apartment.

Once I had it home, and especially on warm or humid days, I discovered that a strong perfumey scent emanates from the couch.

Hoping for advice on how to get rid of it. Or else -- I will have to get rid of the couch. I've tried several things, some produced results lasting for up to a week or two, others less. Today, the smell remains much too strong. What I've tried:

--Put couch out in bright sun during the day. Did this for several days.
    --Leave couch outside, not in sun, to breathe for a few days.
    --Spray with mild solution of vinegar and water, leave on for 5-10 minutes, towel off.
    --Same as above, just water without vinegar.
    --Wash with Lexol leather cleaner following manufacturer instructions. (Promising results for several weeks; after two months, not so much.)

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Try Placing it outside for 24 hrs but not in direct sunlight, as that will make your leather lose its color and shine.
    For More Details visit us at http://sydneyleathercleaners.com.au/

This perfumery scent needs to be stripped off the leather finishes and is done with Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0 system process with this Kit B2 and if do not like scent ask to replace Protector-D+ with Protector-B.

The approach is to apply the Prep-7.7 and let it dwell as long as you wish even overnight, thereafter the sticky residue is cleaned off with Clean-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0.

A buttery-feel non-stick rub-resistant protector is applied thereafter.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Leather Doctor Kit B2 – Bicast Leather Care Kit

Name:  a2079161454f21792abafc_l.JPG
Views: 385
Size:  140.2 KB
    Leather Doctor® Kit B2, bicast leather care kit is an innovative system developed to keep the leather at the highest level of appearance while reducing the potential stickiness problem. Practically most stains are removed by using Prep-7.7 that includes the ballpoint ink and dye transfer from the common new blue jeans. Sticky food substances like chewing gum as easily removed as well. Periodic cleaning is done with Cleaner-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 to a healthy squeaky clean. Protector-D+ imparts a non-stick draggy-feel against sticky soiling; a rub-resistant against friction wear; filling and concealing scuff marks and diffuses a leather scent that enhances leather sensuous and luxuriously.This kit comes with reduced weight option to save on shipping thus the 250ml concentrate ratio such as Clean-3.8, and Rinse-3.0 has to be cut or filled up with distilled water prior to use.
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 07-18-2014 at 09:19 AM.

Many thanks to you both. The "let it breathe outside, in from the sun" approach had been tried and ultimately didn't seem to do much.

Roger, you recommend the bicast leather care kit even for what I'm sure is a standard leather? Just checking. And the buttery Protector-B, I guess, would be your choice out of the various non-scented Protectors? Again just checking.

Thanks again.

You may think it is a “standard leather”.

No! It is positively identified as “Bicast leather”.

Bicast leather imitates “aniline wax pull-up leathers”.

Almost all aniline leathers are absorbent not yours.

Bicast will pools water on the surface with its impervious urethane coating just likes most laminated flooring.

Protector-B imparts a buttery-feel with a gloss effect.

Protector-D imparts a draggy-feel with a matte effect.

Both are intermixable.

Again, if you think the smell is surface applied then it needs to be stripped with Prep-7.7 is the right approach.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

OK, great. Thanks, Roger. Appreciate protector clarification along with the rest.

>>> OK great. Will work with this brush. The couch is the one with a scent that won't go away, from something used by the previous owner.

The unwanted scent is considered as foreign contamination and any residue need to be stripped off with help from Prep-7.7.

Simply apply Prep-7.7 evenly with the foam brush and let it sit for one, two or three days.

Thereafter clean off the sticky residue with Clean-3.8 with horsehair Brush-1 (using a wiping action like our car windscreen wiper, works faster and lighter than a standard clumsy hand size brush) and towel extract until towel shows clean.

Spray Rinse-3.0 and towel extract until towel shows clean.

Your unwanted scent should be totally eliminated.

Let me know if it is still there!

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Great, thanks Roger. Been waiting for a cool day as I have the couch in uninsulated garage. Question, so I'm sure: The small bottle of Prep 7.7 is enough to cover the whole couch? Thanks!

This 60ml Prep-7.7 is not custom pack to cover your couch, it will do the job to remove surface contamination, try out only on one cushion, you would know how much time is required for your specific situation. Refills are available in bigger packing.

Then let me ask -- how much Prep-7/7 would you expect to need for a couch? Is there a chance the small bottle is enough? I'd rather not have to do all three steps in two separate installments!

1gm of Prep-7.7 when works with horsehair Brush-1 covers 1 square foot.
    Therefore 60gm will covers 60 square feet of surface area.
    What is the total surface area you want to cover, will work out accordingly!

OK -- well, luckily enough, right around 60 sq. feet. I take it the bottle is 60 gm? And I need to work it with horsehair brush? At one point above, you said simply coat using the foam brush (post #7). Thanks!

You will lose 0.5gm to the Brush-1 - lighter before use and heavier after use.
    You will probably loose much more when using the foam Brush-3" - so less coverage as the foam brush is heavier after use.
    The seams will also takes more as compare to a flat surface.

OK, I'm through one good pass with the Clean 3.8. The towel comes off clean but there are still some sticky/tacky places. As I still have some of the Clean left, should I go over it again? Most places were done twice with the Clean, not all. Or can I just trust the Rinse step to get the rest out?

BTW, I did have just enough of the Prep to cover the couch, with about 1/3 teaspoon left. Had to stretch it, but got a sticky-ness everywhere.

Thanks!

The sequence is Prep-7.7 > Clean-3.8 > Rinse-3.0.

>>> As I still have some of the Clean left, should I go over it again?
    Yes, to remove the sticky residue.

OK, I used up all of the Clean 3.8. Some areas still have a waxy feel, draggy, not quite tacky. Is that ok? Should I try further rinsing with water? Or move on to the Rinse-3.0? Thanks! Couch is looking great.

What you are using is a leather-safe system, product suffix numbers denotes their pH value.

Water has an average pH value of 7 which does not fit into this leather safe equation.

I believe you have insufficient Clean-3.8, however move to Rinse-3.0 for a thorough rinse to achieve a healthy squeaky feel.

>>> Couch is looking great.

How long have you left the Prep-7.7 to dwell before you proceed with Clean-3.8?

Is the unwanted scent gone?
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 09-18-2014 at 09:51 AM.

The Prep-7.7 was on about 24 hours. The unwanted scent seems to be mostly gone. Hard to be sure, as it gets worse in a closed, warm room. But I'm optimistic.

So on the question -- you're saying it would be better if I had and used more Clean-3.8, but it's OK to proceed now with Rinse-3.0 anyway. Correct?

Thanks!

Point 1:
    Under utilizing the working power of the Prep-7.7 maximum hours is 72 hours - if it works within a shorter time frame, it is OK!

Point 2:
    Sufficient Clean-3.8 ensures the removal of suspended foreign contamination together with remaining excess residue, so that you may not have these issue:
    "Some areas still have a waxy feel, draggy, not quite tacky"

Point 3:
    Rinse-3.0 is to stop or cease Prep-7.7 and Clean-3.8 from unnecessary overworking over a "clean to satisfaction" surface.

Read this before you apply Protector-B.

Bicast leather has an inherent "sticky" problem when the topcoat deteriorates and is rectified using BicastTop-76 with 10% Crosslinker-25 to solves it.

Name:  a20791e145446e500fc264_m.JPG
Views: 310
Size:  109.4 KB

Leather Doctor Kit B7 – Bicast Leather Sticky Refinishing Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit B7, Bicast leather sticky refinishing kit is an innovative system developed to restore finishes sticky problem. The sticky problem is often described from owners as follows. The finish gone dull on the seating areas and any material comes in contact sticks to it. The finishes feels a bit rubbery but after 5mins of sitting clothing were stuck to it. The location that suffers tackiness also reveals roughness to the touch. When sitting down and getting up, there is the sound of tape pulling and you can actually see a pattern on the couch from the jeans. If these experiences sound familiar then this kit is the answer. Stripping the surface contamination is done with Degreaser-2.2 and help from leather Eraser-4 for better traction to removed surface materials. Suspended soiling is towel extracted and rinse with Acidifier-2.0. 2000-grit sandpaper is used to smoothen rough surface. A 10% Crosslinker-25 is added to the BicastTop-76G for extra finish strength that cures stickiness. Protector-B+ imparts a non-stick buttery-feel against sticky soiling; a rub-resistant against friction wear and diffuses a leather scent that enhances leather sensuous and luxuriously.

Thread Information