Thread: Glossy Finish After Applying Satin Topcoat 84

Default Glossy Finish After Applying Satin Topcoat 84

I have a BMW with Napa leather and Napa steering wheel. After performing the cleaning routine, I was very pleased with the results. The steering wheel was buttery, soft, and a clean matte finish but then I went to apply the Topcoat 84 with crosslinker. The first coat came out great with a nice, soft, matte finish. The second coat came out the same. However, I had a very small amount left and didn't want to waste it so I decided to apply it as well. After the first two were dry I applied the last little bit. Going on it was shiny since it was wet like the other two coats were. However, the glossiness never went away. I let it sit overnight and it is still glossy. I don't know why this happened or how to fix. I attached a picture for reference. The steering wheel leather used to be a soft matte finish exactly like the center of the steering wheel. It used to have a nice, uniform look to the entire steering wheel. Now it has the ugly glossiness to it. I know it looks smudgy but that because I have tried removing it already with no success. How do I fix this? Name:  20140525_133851.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  615.1 KB
    Last edited by AdamGarciaTX; 05-25-2014 at 11:05 AM.

>>> Now it has the ugly glossiness to it. I know it looks smudgy but that because I have tried removing it already with no success. How do I fix this?

The glossiness is fixable with Duller-63 mixed into the NapaTop-84 to the desire luster level and test before application.

The smudgeness is fixable with sandpaper help to even out the appearance prior to refinishing it.

Tips:
    Crosslinker-25 is not recommended unless the existing leather have sticky problem.

Name:  a207916145391c6b503aa6_s.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  7.7 KB
    Leather Doctor® Duller-63

Leather Doctor® Duller-63 is a water based multifunctional polyurethane duller. It is add to colorcoat and especially to topcoat for luster adjustment.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

>>> The smudgeness is fixable with sandpaper help to even out the appearance prior to refinishing it.

tips:
    Recommend that the smudgeness surface is first sand (2000grit) to an even appearance, then Protector-D is applied at corner for appearance testing.

If it looks good proceed. Refinishing with additional topcoat may not be ideal as it was due to the extra topcoat that produces diminishing returns.
    (2000girt sandpaper included in order - wrap around a soft sponge to do the sanding - you should only see white powder from the topcoat).

Thread Information