Thread: 2013 BMW - Ivory White Leather Seats, a 2 or 3 months leather belt and fabric dye 2 stains

Default 2013 BMW - Ivory White Leather Seats, a 2 or 3 months leather belt and fabric dye 2 stains

I am attempting to clean the driver’s seat of a 2013 BMW.
    The seats are ivory white.

The big problem is a brown stain low down on backrest of the drivers seat.
    It has come from a new leather belt I was wearing; the dye seems to have transferred onto the seat.
    It has been there for probably 2 or 3 months, I'm hoping it isn't now too late to do anything with it.

None of the leather cleaning products I have tried has ever made any difference to it.
    I'd been using BMWs leather cleaner, available in their showrooms, this product had otherwise been great at removing everything else, including dye transfer from blue jeans.

Here is a view of the seat
    Name:  Photo 01.jpg
Views: 7605
Size:  569.3 KB

A close up
    Name:  Photo 02.jpg
Views: 3807
Size:  680.4 KB

I also wanted to deal with this one on the side bolster, no matter how much I clean it, those dark lines remain at the creases. The creases have arisen from just getting in and out of the car.
    Name:  Photo 03.jpg
Views: 4659
Size:  676.0 KB

I encountered your product when doing an Internet search for removing leather on leather transfer, I found this post and concluded it was the same problem. I was intending to follow the same instructions, i.e. leaving the Prep 7.7 on overnight.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/topic/1...al-kit-review/

I hope I have ordered the right products?

>>> I was intending to follow the same instructions, i.e. leaving the Prep 7.7 on overnight.

The “reverse transfer” technique has been in practice for a while on actual application and proves to be less messy especially on vertical panels. Prep-7.7 is applied onto the cut out to size paper stretchable paper (from the kit) and stretch with horsehair Brush-1. This technique would allow a good surface contact without the Prep-7.7 dripping down and suspended stains being absorbed by the towel then being reabsorbed by the leather when dry. It is also easier to observe the application from getting dried up and becomes non-effective. Checking the result is easier by lifting the saturated paper towel to check on the leather itself. This reverse transfer treatment is left for up to 72 hours with in-between regular (12 to 24hrs) interval inspection. When paper is stain option is to change a fresh one for from preventing from influencing the leather.

Here is example of how it looks like.

Name:  attachment-1.jpg
Views: 3419
Size:  2.51 MB

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 3459
Size:  2.20 MB

Let's see some pictures. . .

>>> One question - it won't be possible not to use the car for 72 hours. Do you foresee any problems with me throwing a plastic bag over the treatment area and continuing to use the car? Assuming that every time I finish driving that I check that the paper towels with the Prep7.7 have not moved from the treatment area.

You may use cling wrap to cover up the treatment and have a seat cover or towel to sit on – it’s OK!

The end of 72hrs dwell time is the mandatory cleaning up with Clean-3.8 follows with Rinse-3.0 to achieve a healthy squeaky feel while evaluating the removal result and inspecting the condition of the finishes prior to continuation if necessary with the help of Bleach-9.9 as booster to the Prep-7.7

Depends on severity or compounded failed attempt, stain may be off by end of the day in some proven cases.

During the first 6 hours if stain do run, it will continue to work for the penetrated remainder. There is no necessary to prolong the working of the products once the result is satisfactory and mandatory clean up is highly recommended to remove sticky residue and pH balance to a healthy squeaky feel.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    [email protected]

After 12 hours dwell time, the paper had dried out - it was a very warm evening.

Find attached the result - you can see some of the dye has transferred onto the paper. I didn't try it again since, I intend to have another go at it this weekend.

Should I apply more Prep 7.7, or do you think there is enough as per my first attempt, with multiple sessions until 72hours has elapsed?

Name:  Photo 02-06-2014 10 31 08.jpg
Views: 3757
Size:  773.4 KB

Please redo, insufficient contact dwell time!

Hi Roger,

I've finally been able to attack the problem.
    I tried the reverse transfer technique again, but I found that the paper was drying out within a couple of hours without any real result.
    So - I folded the seat flat and went with direct application, leaving 12 hours.
    This was the result:

Nearly faded, but still visible.
    I applied again, and this time left it a full 24 hours.
    This time, the stain is almost invisible:
    Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 3206
Size:  286.7 KB

I applied the Clean-3.8 & Rinse-3.0 products, and that cleared the rest off.
    Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 3437
Size:  308.3 KB

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 3288
Size:  256.7 KB

I applied the clean 3.8 & rinse 3.0 products, and that cleared the rest off.
    Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 3179
Size:  244.4 KB

Finally I applied the Protector B+, and it looks just like new.
    I am extremely pleased with the results.

I'm hoping the rub-resistant Protector B+ will go some way to preventing this happening again - I've nearly consumed all of the Prep 7.7.
    I'll be sure to order a bigger bottle next time!

Can you advise if there is a "use by" date on any of the products?
    I'll keep it in my garage but I hope it will be some time before I need to get them out again.

Again, I'll say I'm extremely happy with the result, thanks for your advice and patience.

Steve
    Last edited by Questions!; 07-10-2014 at 05:24 PM.

>>> Can you advise if there is a "use by" date on any of the products? I'll keep it in my garage but I hope it will be some time before I need to get them out again.

Just keep away from sunlight and freezing for these cleaning products.

Thread Information