Thread: Bicast Leather Cracked and Peeling!

Default Bicast Leather Cracked and Peeling!

>>> I just bought a leather sectional off of Craigslist as a surprise for my husband.
    I looked it over thoroughly yesterday and this morning when I went to get on the couch it was cracked and peeling on the head rests.
    Is there a kit that you sell for me to repair this?
    My husband returns from deployment soon and I would like to have his new couch looking its best!
    Thank you,

It will be easier if you show some pictures, how bad is the cracking and peeling, what is the leather finishes type that you need?

>>> Is this what you need?
    Here are the pictures of the damage.
    I don’t understand how they could go from being perfect last night to completely destroyed today.
    I didn’t do anything by move them into my house and sit on each reclining end last night.

This is laminated leather (Bicast).
    The lamination has peeled off.
    How do you wish to solve it?

>>> I would very much like to make it look like it never happened.
    Also, do you know what could have caused it so I know to steer clear of doing something to further damage my couch?
    I bought some meguiar's rich leather gold class cleaner and conditioner to clean it is that product safe?

I recommend that you do not mention to your husband about this couch - get rid of it!
    Consult me before you buy any leather again!

>>> Is there an alternative that you would recommend?
    Getting rid of the couch is not an option, what should I use to fix it?

I will transfer to our help and support forum to help you from there if you like - OK?

>>> That sounds good thanks.

Name:  20140426_191318.jpg
Views: 2262
Size:  3.02 MB

Name:  20140426_191433.jpg
Views: 1263
Size:  3.99 MB
    Last edited by Questions!; 04-28-2014 at 11:26 PM.

>>> Also, do you know what could have caused it so I know to steer clear of doing something to further damage my couch?

A little test to the leather suede-split with fingernails my removes some fibers easily and when examine the reverse laminated side may also reveal some fibers. It is most probably due to the dryness of the leather split-suede that causes the delamination. Pictures reveal crack lines and when cleaning solution not safe for suede is used it causes the weakening of the leather suede-split. Another possibility is the lamination may becomes tacky that stick to the body and when pull peels the lamination.

>>> I bought some meguiar's rich leather gold class cleaner and conditioner to clean it is that product safe?
    Since the lamination is already cracking in many places, any solution will inevitably wet out the exposed leather suede-split. Any solution not safe for suede will further deteriorate and weaken the fiber strength of the suede-split. Leather protein fiber is an amphoteric material and any pH solution higher than its isoelectric point or leather pH neutral or pI will shift the protein fiber ionic negative (-ve) that will repels its other non-amphoteric leather constituents like the tanning agent and fatliquor. Leather cleaners therefore should be on the acidic side of the pH scale between 3 and 5 to protonate and strengthen the leather protein fiber to increase its ionic positive (+ve) attraction for the tanning agent and fatliquor. Check out the pH of any cleaner prior to use on exposed split-suede. Leather safe is pH between 3 and 5.

>>> what should I use to fix it?
    The lamination is already missing and there is no way to get a lamination replacement. The only option is to camouflage the missing lamination with opaque pigment to block out the base bluish color follows with a transparent dyestuff to bring out the beauty of depth. However there is no way to do any embossing to simulate the grain texture, just a flat surface.

>>> Is there an alternative that you would recommend? Getting rid of the couch is not an option.

The leather surfaces have to be degreased follows with rinse prior to rejuvenating the split suede. An impregnator is use to strengthen the leather prior to color repairs them. While doing all these cleaning and rejuvenating process more damages may appears with no end.

Please let me know of your decision before we go on.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

I just had a similar problem with a couch. I used a heat gun to melt the lamination and smoothed it with a plastic trowel. It seems to have done the trick to a couch that was in much worse condition than yours.

Thread Information