Thread: Nubuck couch with a variety of stains

Default Nubuck couch with a variety of stains

Hello,
    Our Nubuck couch is about 15 years old. It looks like your products may actually clean and restore it, but I'm going to need some help to get from here to there.
    Picture 1 shows the overall couch with our dog in her regular spot. You can see the body oil spots on the right and left side.
    Picture 2 shows the left side, as you look at the couch where my dog has taken a break from sitting.
    Picture 3 and 5 show the middle cushion. This cushion has taken all kinds of abuse over the years with a wipe down with damp cloth and mild cleaner to address mostly urine and vomit. The leather on this cushion looks particularly bad.
    Picture 4 shows the right side with similar but not as intense problems. The arms have normal body oil issues. The back looks great but I'm sure would benefit from a decent cleaning.

I've looked over your products, and am leaning towards the nubuck degreasing package, but it doesn't have the cleaner or rinse, nor other products which may be needed for the cushions to make this piece look good again. I also have 2 aniline leather chairs which need a good cleaning. I plan on posting the separately. Please advise to get me started.

I notice this pics are quite large and I need to scroll to see them. If you want the smaller let me know how to do that.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

>>> I notice theses pictures are quite large and I need to scroll to see them.

Larger would be better for details. You may like to edit it to put some space in-between instead and put the description to the numbered pictures would help visually from scrolling up and down trying to match the descriptions to the pictures.

Leather is identified as Nubuck missing the “finger writing effect” all the velveteen fine naps are all smoothens with an unwanted sheen. Restoration or exfoliating of the nap will require the help of Eraser-4 and Eraser-5.

All other soiling and stain related issues are solves by using this Nubuck (N) Leather Problem Solving Guide as reference with its holistic sequence of processes.

Name:  Nubuck (N).jpg
Views: 554
Size:  358.0 KB

>>> Picture 2 shows the left side, as you look at the couch where my dog has taken a break from sitting.

All body oil, grease and sweat contamination would require Degreaser-2.2 > Acidifier-2.0 > Hydrator-3.3 system.

>>> Picture 3 and 5 show the middle cushion. This cushion has taken all kinds of abuse over the years with a wipe down with damp cloth and mild cleaner to address mostly urine and vomit. The leather on this cushion looks particularly bad.

Urine with urea turns ammonia will denature the leather and may have deteriorated the leather will require special treatment when it turn tacky when wet, a sign of reverting to rawhide. Acidifier-2.0 helps to revert the tacky leather back to squeakiness saves the leather. Like all edible skin when it turns tacky and slimy it is rotting, a fresh fish feels squeaky is an example.

>>> Picture 4 shows the right side with similar but not as intense problems. The arms have normal body oil issues. The back looks great but I'm sure would benefit from a decent cleaning.

What is require is restorative or corrective cleaning, as most of the soiling are grease accumulated a thorough degreasing and rinsing with protonating will help removes unwanted soiling and stabilize the leather pH chemistry integrity. A holistic approach to soften up the leather and reactivate the dormant dyestuff to resurface will require Hydrator-3.3 > Fartliquor-5.0 system of process. To impart a silky feel with a classic leather scent need Protector-S+.

>>> I've looked over your products, and am leaning towards the nubuck-degreasing package, but it doesn't have the cleaner or rinse, or other products, which may be needed for the cushions to make this piece look good again. Please advise to get me started.

This Kit N5.dr would be the basic kit where you will add on to what you will need from the individual item from the on-line store.

Name:  Kit N5.dr.JPG
Views: 615
Size:  1.15 MB
    Leather Doctor Kit N5.dr – Nubuck Degreaser Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit N5.dr, nubuck leather degreaser kit is designed for degreasing especially to the headrest and armrest areas with most bare body contacts. Preventive regular surface degreasing is preferred over corrective penetrated degreasing as in severe cases; the dyestuff breaks bond and bleeds. Degreaser-2.2 is a waterbased (pH 2.2) multifunctional degreaser that besides emulsifying the greasy contamination, it controls dye bleeding and charging the protein fiber ionic positive for strengthening the ionic attraction between the ionic negative tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor. Deflocculated and suspended soiling is towel extracted, thereafter rinse and pH balanced with Acidifier-2.0 to prevent the leather from reverting to rawhide. When leather feels sticky or slimy it is a sign of leather denaturing, a squeaky feel when wet is a sign of healthy leather. Hydrator-3.3 relaxes stiff leathers and removes surface tension free from surface blotchiness prior to fat and oil replenishing. Fat and oil is replenished with Fatliquor-5.0 to rejuvenate the leather for the desired suppleness when dry. Dye refinishing is a consideration prior to a non-stick rub-resistant protection found in Kit N7.cl. Protector-S+ enhances a non-stick silky-feel to shield against sticky soiling. Note that the mentioned cleaning product suffix number denotes its pH value in this holistic leather-safe nubuck leathers degreasing system.
    Recommended add-on items, besides Clean-3.8, Rinse-3.0 and other relevant products that matches problem from the guide you will need Eraser-5 to exfoliate for nap renewal.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    [email protected]

Thread Information