Thread: Bicast Leather Surfaces Peeling – requiring repairing products!

Default Bicast Leather Surfaces Peeling – requiring repairing products!

I have a three seater, two seater and recliner in dark brown color, some of whose surfaces are peeling. It is a bicast leather unit as far as I can understand because they match description and photos of many cases reported online. I have read your forum and request you to send a list of products required for repair. Right now I have one large patch, two small and some small tears. Please also send me a quote to purchase from you. Can i buy these products in any local stores? I live in Dallas, TX. Please advise. Thank you

Name:  photo 1.JPG
Views: 3196
Size:  142.3 KB

Name:  photo 2.JPG
Views: 2834
Size:  131.5 KB

Name:  photo 3.JPG
Views: 1771
Size:  105.0 KB

Name:  photo 4.JPG
Views: 1149
Size:  130.8 KB

>>> It is a bicast leather unit as far as I can understand because they match description and photos of many cases reported online.

Yes this is Bicast leather that peels or delaminates and is more of the sub split suede structure that is probably the cause of the problem. From picture #2 we see fine nap or suede exposed structure and the reverse side of the lamination may show suede as well. This reveals the weakening of the suede structure and when rub separates itself.

The solution is the softening, strengthening and smoothening of the suede structure prior to choice of refinishing option. Refinishing is either retaining the existing film or from another hidden area that may be a challenge or refinishing it with matching Bicast-32 > Bicast-76 > BicastTop-76 system and thereafter protect it with Protector-B+.

Softening it is with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0, structure strengthening it is with Impregnator-26 (is only an option base on picture condition with no overstretching) and smoothening it is mandatory prior to bonding with existing film or coloring refinishing.

The sequence of step would probably be in this order for the various degree of delamination:

A. Surface Preparation Prior to Repair:
    1- Prior to repairs the base preparation is important to ensure proper adhesion with Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0 system.

B. Repair Option #1.
    1. Picture #1 shows delamination with film still intact but floating.
    Solution to this “film-floating” problem type is to inject Bond-3D in-between with a syringe or plastic transfer pipette and compressing it tight without airspace.
    The edges could be gently stretch using horsehair Brush-1 with a slight overlap allowing the Bond-3D to squeeze through and damp wipe off using Rinse-3.0.
    Picture #2 & #4 show flaps and missing film. This repair type is a combination of bonding back available film with color touch-up option.
    2. Protector-B+ imparts a buttery-feel, rub-resistant surface reduce delamination (note that pictures shows some scuffing from the lower left side that may be the cause of this delamination). When the surface of the finish becomes less noisy there is less of friction rubs and prolongs delamination.

C. Color Touch-Up Option #2
    Picture #3 sub split suede structure looks clean of grease contamination and may take these steps:
    1. Deteriorated surface suede may be dry exfoliated by using suede Eraser-5 to reveal clean surface.
    2. Option of rejuvenating the suede structure for softness with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0.
    3. Smoothening and sealing the suede surface building up a skin is mandatory with Adhesor-73.
    4. Bicast-32 (standard dark-brown that may need color match) blocks off the base color.
    5. Bicast-76 of the same color range (standard dark-brown that may need color match) imparts the beauty of depth.
    6. BicastTop-76G is the standard gloss finish for Bicast leather; luster adjustment is by adding Duller-63.
    7. Protector-B+ impart a buttery-feel, rub-resistant surface that will reduce friction rubs thus prolong the peeling problem.

Note:
    Micro crazing might have developed and if the finishes becomes absorbent with Hydrator-3.3 testing, it is highly recommended that the suede structure be rejuvenated to soften and strengthen it from over dryness that is the cause of the lamination failure. The evident is seen from the lamination underside, if you see fiber then the suede structure is too dry and weak.

>>> Please also send me a quote to purchase from you. Can i buy these products in any local stores?

Leather Doctor® system products are only available on-line. Individual products mention can be found from this link, just key in the product name into the search button.
    http://www.leatherdoctor.com/servlet/StoreFront

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 01-21-2014 at 04:00 PM.

Thread Information