Thread: Flaking Leather

Question Flaking Leather

Hi Roger,

I purchased a couch, loveseat, and chair almost a year ago. The loveseat and chair have held up well, but the couch is wearing badly on one cushion. I'm looking for help on the identification of the leather type, how to properly repair the flaking, and how to maintain all three pieces of furniture in the future.

Thank you, I look forward to your response!

#1: Entire couch

#2: Close-up of non-damaged area of armrest

#3: Close-up of another non-damaged area

#4: Light wear on right cushion

#5: Flaking on left cushion

#6: Close-up of flaking on left cushion

#7: Close-up of reverse side

>>> I'm looking for help on the identification of the leather type,

Picture #1 of the entire couch shows a two-tone effect finish type seldom find as Bicast leather, although pictures #4, #5, #6 and #7 shows they are. Bicast leather is a film we see or surface appearance layer that is laminated onto suede split shown in picture #7.

>>> how to properly repair the flaking

Bonding back the missing flake seems to be the answer for repairs, but I presume they are lost. They can be peel from hidden areas and the rest is color touch-up with a new topcoat. Preparation for repairs may include rejuvenating the base leather with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 system process to strengthen the leather surface or they could be sealed with Adhesor-73 to add strength to the surface prior to using leather Bond-3D for bonding the film back. Color touch-up system is done with matching Bicast-32 > Bicast-76 > BicastTop-76G system.

>>> how to maintain all three pieces of furniture in the future.

One cause of delamination is friction rubs. When the surface feel squeaky, the drag from our weight overstretch the lamination that cause ripping. The answer is an application of Protector-B+ a buttery-feel rub-resistant protector for reduces friction noises that translate into friction stress.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

That's because it isn't leather, leather doesn't flake. I would say your only recourse is to stop it from spreading by using protective covering over the high use areas.

Thread Information