Thread: Restoring nubuck leather

Question Restoring nubuck leather

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post or such posts are not dealt with in this forum.

I have a pair of boots and sandals, both nubuck leather, whose nap has been matted down or thoroughly destroyed, I dont know the difference so can't say.
    The boots got ruined by applying polish over it. Wax polish. The nap doesn't change when I swipe my hand over it. IF there is hope of restoring it, how do I do so? If not, can I just apply wax polish all over to give it a consistent color? :/ And keep using the shoes as such until they are complete trash.
    The sandals' nap has matter/been destroyed by not brushing it and the accumulation of HEAVY amount of dirt. So much so that wherever dirt has accumulated, it is kind of thicker and darker in color. Same question for the sandals. Thanks

>>> I have a pair of boots and sandals, both nubuck leather, whose nap has been matted down or thoroughly destroyed, I dont know the difference so can't say.

Good if you show some pictures, help will be more specific.

>>> The boots got ruined by applying polish over it. Wax polish. The nap doesn't change when I swipe my hand over it. IF there is hope of restoring it, how do I do so?

The wax polish can be removed by Stripper-2.3 with tools like Eraser-4, Brush-2 and absorbent towel. This stripping is follow with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0 to soften and strengthen the nubuck from tearing. This softening up the nubuck will return the nap softness as well when swipe fingers across.

>>> The sandals' nap has matter/been destroyed by not brushing it and the accumulation of HEAVY amount of dirt. So much so that wherever dirt has accumulated, it is kind of thicker and darker in color. Same question for the sandals.

Use the Nubuck Problem Solving Guide to match severity of soiling level for returning the nubuck to an acceptable level of appearance with leather chemistry integrity – thus achieving softness, tensile tear-strength and finger writing effect to the nap.

Nubuck (N) Leather Problem Solving Guide
    Name:  Nubuck (N).jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  633.5 KB

Product information:

Name:  a20791a13d1533648269ed_m.JPG
Views: 1512
Size:  85.7 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit N3 – Nubuck Care Kit
    Leather Doctor® Kit N3, nubuck leather care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping leathers at their highest level of appearance, maintaining its pH chemistry integrity, enhancing their suppleness and prevents premature ageing. Leathers that faced the sun, closed to fireplace and heaters dries out the fat and oil that keeps it supple sooner than the non-heat exposed areas. The diminishing of the fat and oil through evaporation results in the leather fibers being stick closer together that results in stiffness and when flexed during used will lead to cracks. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to plumps the stick together fibers prior to fat and oil replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and strong. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness and cracking. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced in preventive care with a rub-resistant Protector-S+ that enhances a non-stick silky-feel to shield against sticky soiling. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Cleaner-3.8 follows by Rinse-3.0 to the bare body contact areas like headrest and armrest helps reduce greasy soiling build-up. Restorative cleaning and occasional dye stains removal from new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-4.4. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system for nubuck.

Name:  a20791d13f49f1c90e7a4d_m.JPG
Views: 1405
Size:  100.5 KB
    Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3

Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3 is a pH 2.3 duality residue free hydrocarbon formulated leather finish stripper with bleeding control. It is use to remove existing old finishes or overspray for all leather types.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 11-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Thread Information