Thread: Bicast - remove peeling top layer

Default Bicast - remove peeling top layer

Hello, I own a leather dining room type chair that I bought at TJMax around 10 years ago for $40 dollars. I absolutely love this chair and use every day in front of the computer. I have taken it apart several times to replace and improve the stuffing inside. The leather top coat is severly peeling and shedding and I want to remove all of the top coat entirely. I have tried some #150 grade sandpaper but I need a better way .. it is too tedious. What do you recommend? Can I just get some of the Leather Doctor® Stripper-2.3? How does that work? What else do I need? My only goal is to remove the top coat and all of the pellings from making a mess and be able to sit on the chair again without the top coat. I have no cosmetic goals and don't care what the chair looks like afterwards. Thank you so much for your help!

It may not be the top coat that is peeling, but the entire laminated finishes if it is "Bicast" Leather.

Need to see pictures for recommendation.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Hi Roger, thanks for the reply. Here are some pictures. The are not the greatest quality because I took them with my phone. Let me know what you think I should do.Name:  1024131722.jpg
Views: 1177
Size:  1.03 MBName:  1024131722a.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  728.2 KB

>>> I want to remove all of the topcoat entirely.

What we see are the finishes that have deteriorated.
    It may be easily remove by using Duct Tape, sticking it and pulling them off.
    The unused areas may be more difficult to do so.

Let’s see how the deteriorated finishes responses to the duct tape pulling effect.

Roger Koh
    Leather Care Consultant
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Thanks Roger. I actually tried that before taking these photos. Was wondering if there was an easier way. I guess not. Will continue to do that on the more deteriorated areas. Thanks for your help.

Using a Razor-60 may help to shave off the unwanted finishes as well.

Physical removal without using any chemical helps to retain the chemistry integrity of the base leather.

This is done on affected panels and thereafter a matching coloring finished can be applied with this system:

Adhesor-73 > Bicast-32 > BicastTop-76

Thread Information