Thread: 2005 Ford King Ranch F250 – help with seat restoration . . .

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 2005 Ford King Ranch F250 – help with seat restoration . . .

I have a 2005 Ford King Ranch and would like a suggestion on what products to use to restore the seats. The back seats are in fair shape and most likely just need minor cleaning and conditioning. The front seats - different story. They're extremely dry, have some stains/ water spots and a few of the sections (steering wheel wrap and drivers seat) are pretty grimy. Please let me know your suggestion...I've been to the Leather Doctor website and looked over the aniline leather kits but have no clue where to start or what to buy.

I have attached a few pictures of the seats.
    Thanks,

Kevin

Name:  steering wheel closeup.jpg
Views: 5875
Size:  926.3 KB

Name:  rear seats.jpg
Views: 6236
Size:  937.6 KB

Name:  drivers seat bolster.jpg
Views: 4655
Size:  1.25 MB

Name:  drivers seat armrest.jpg
Views: 5015
Size:  1.32 MB

Name:  console cover.jpg
Views: 4255
Size:  1,022.1 KB

Picture #1
    Please have a look at a different angle how bad the condition is.
    Steering is an obvious location that absorbs all the sweaty perspiration, oil and grease from our hands.

Picture #2
    >>>The back seats are in fair shape and most likely just need minor cleaning and conditioning.
    Due to constant abrasion on a squeaky leather surface the topcoat has wear off and stains you see is most probably penetrated. The lighter color scratches suggest that the topcoat is missing and if topcoat refinishing is an option, a restorative or degreasing cleaning follows with leather softening is recommended.
    Note that a rub-resistant protection will reduce surface wear on a routine maintenance basic with Protector-B+.

Picture #3
    The wet look suggests that the stain is most like oil or grease related.

Picture #4
    The armrest shows “cracking” suggest sweat damages. The result of sweat damages causes the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor to break bonds with the amphoteric protein fiber. Besides repairs to the cracks, the chemistry integrity of the leather need restored with help of Acidifier-2.0 to pH balance the alkaline exposure.

Picture #5
    Spots and stains from different source may require different leather specialty products to remove them with protein based stain being more tough to remove as they tends to coagulate.

Generally these pictures show some degree of color fading as well. It will be good if we can see some unexposed area to determine the original color. Structure damage to aniline leather will produce a darkening effect even after repair and restoration, and will need to camouflage with a darker “transparent” dyestuff. Therefore the rest of the leather will take on a new color if the overall appearance looks even throughout.

The Auto-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide will be use as a reference for this project.

Name:  Aniline (A.a).jpg
Views: 4448
Size:  5.25 MB

Kit for refinishing Kit Aa7.cl

Name:  a20791913dc9992811677b_m.JPG
Views: 3501
Size:  84.4 KB
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 08-12-2013 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Roger. Per your request, I've included two additional pictures of the seats in my truck - one is a different angle on the steering wheel, the other is the back of the driver's seat which has been unexposed.

I beleive that the color or the '05 KR was called Castano (??) - not sure if that helps you in determining the dye to use.

I do have a few additional questions:
    - I'm not sure how to read your "Auto-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide". What do the numbers represent...the steps in the cleaning and restoration process?
    - Does the Aa7.cl kit contain detailed instructions on what to apply when?
    - Does the Aa7.cl kit have enough material to clean/ restore front and back seats as well as the console?
    - If you can determine the color of my KR leather from the picture below, does the dye included in the Aa7.cl kit match? If not, how would I specify a different color dye to be shipped w/the kit?

Thanks again!

Name:  IMG-20130813-00133.jpg
Views: 3723
Size:  1.40 MB

Name:  IMG-20130813-00134.jpg
Views: 3614
Size:  1.02 MB

>>>I'm not sure how to read your "Auto-Aniline Leather Problem Solving Guide". What do the numbers represent...the steps in the cleaning and restoration process?
    Yes, the number is the sequence of process.

>>>Does the Aa7.cl kit contain detailed instructions on what to apply when?
    We have to follow the “guide” according to the condition of the existing leather and I will help you through.

>>>Does the Aa7.cl kit have enough material to clean/ restore front and back seats as well as the console?
    Depending on condition of the leather, the repairs to the arm rest will require Impregnator-26 – if we see the sequence of steps accordingly to the chart under “Finishes Problems”. All repairs to aniline leathers will take on a darkening effect and so the rest of the leather has to follow suite to have an overall appearance. You will need refills accordingly.

>>>If you can determine the color of my KR leather from the picture below, does the dye included in the Aa7.cl kit match? If not, how would I specify a different color dye to be shipped w/the kit?
    When refinishing with “transparent” dyestuff, the end result may not be determine by the exact shade of color is being used. Example, you may wish to have all the color (steering wheel, handrest, seats) to be the same as the unexposed seat. In practice we only will know if all the colors after cleaning and restoration will be the same. And from experience they will not be the same with varies degrees of shade from light to dark. To retain the original transparency of the color we have to camouflage the darkest areas (and this will be the handle or the steering wheel). Likewise the other lighter shade leathers has to all go darker to the level of the handrest or steering wheel to have an even appearance.
    This is unlike if we are using “opaque pigment” like other typical car, other than the King Ranch leather, we can be very precise about the color we will use. Example if we wish all the color to be like the back seat even on the handrest and steering wheel than the color look opaque and mono-tone. We have downgraded the leather finish from aniline (transparent) to pigmented (opaque).
    The white stitches will also be covered with opaque pigmented.

Note:
    A realistic color shade expectation will take on the darkest color of the steering wheel and airbrushing is recommended to produce a professional result.

Roger
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 08-16-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Kevin,

Can the crack leather armrest be removed?

You may want to consider sending it to me for the repair and the refinishing instead.

Roger

Default Making progress...have more questions & need more product

Hi Roger
    I received the Aniline Leather Kit Aa7.cl last week and started to restore the leather in my King Ranch. I really like the result so far but have noticed that its a lot of work and will take more material than came in the kit. I've attached a picture of the console cover - it's noticeably darker than the original leather but that's OK, as the newer KR seats are about this dark. As you'll notice, I missed a few spots and plan to redo the console...learning as I go.

Questions:
    - I'll need more material to finish the rest of the truck but I'm not sure how much to buy. I believe that I'll need the quart-size for each product but wanted your opinion. What's typical for a KR truck interior? If I do go with the quart-size, is it worth it from a shipping perspective to get the products concentrated; ie - will the additional cost of the concentrated products offset the lower shipping costs? I live in Chesterfield, Virginia
    - Can you recommend a better applicator for the Stripper, Degreaser, Acidifier, etc? The foam brushes seem too small for the job. Additionally, you'll notice scratch marks at the back of the console lid - these were caused by the foam brush...must have been applying too much pressure. As I said, learning as I go... I realize that I can buy a bigger foam brush but is this the best applicator? Please advise.
    - When ordering the Aniline-76 antique brown dye, how do I specify THAT color when ordering. "Antique Brown" is not an ordering option on that web page for Aniline 76 dye
    - The Aniline Leather Kit Aa7.cl shipped with a gloss topcoat. Would you recommend gloss or matte finish for the KR seats?
    - Lastly, to answer your question, I am going to try & restore the armrest myself but will contact you if I want to send it to you.

Thanks,

Here's a list of the additional products that I need.

Products needed for new order: all quarts...or concentrate??
    Stripper 2.3
    Rinse 3.0
    Degreaser 2.2
    Acidifier 2.0
    Hydrator 3.3
    Fatliquor 5.0
    Aniline 76 dye (antique brown)
    AnilineTop 76 (matte or gloss)
    Protector B+

Name:  IMG-20130828-00139.jpg
Views: 3649
Size:  906.1 KB