Thread: Bicast Leather Delamination.

Default Bicast Leather Delamination.

Hi Roger

I came across a thread of a post you were writing to some time ago and hope you are able to assist.

Almost 12 months ago, we moved out of a rental property we had been living in for a 4 month period, and which was extremely damp - many of our belongings were damaged by mould.
    While we were in the property, I noticed some damage starting on our leather lounge (the lounge is 5 years old) - the finish seemed to be a little crazed, although it had been in perfect condition prior to our moving in.
    We moved out of the property after 4 months, and the condition of the lounges has deteriorated so much over the last 12 months that it is now such that the seating area needs to be covered by fabric as it is so unattractive. Also, the finish falls off and makes a mess on the floor.

I am hoping you may be able to advise me on whether you believe this damage could be as a direct result of the moisture and mould that affected the lounge.

I have attached a current image of the seated area of the lounge.

I appreciate your advice in this regard and thank you in advance for your assistance.

Kind regards

Nicole
    Sydney, Australia.

Name:  20130805_214806_resized.jpg
Views: 4319
Size:  562.7 KB

Name:  20130805_214740_resized.jpg
Views: 2268
Size:  752.8 KB

Name:  20130805_214728_resized.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  653.3 KB
    Last edited by Questions!; 08-08-2013 at 01:23 PM.

>>>I am hoping you may be able to advise me on whether you believe this damage could be as a direct result of the moisture and mould that affected the lounge.

What you experience is one characteristic of a lamination failure particularly associated with Bicast leathers, after certain numbers of years and 5 is within the range.

Moisture, humidity, poor air circulation and lack of sunlight are conducive for mold infestation, not related to delamination failure.

>>>it is now such that the seating area needs to be covered by fabric as it is so unattractive.

An option is to remove the deteriorating lamination entirely and refinish with matching finishes.

Sequence of refinishing is as follows:

1. Remove the deteriorating finishes.
    Use Stripper-2.3 follows with Rinse-3.0

2. Adhesion Coating.
    Use Adhesor-73

3. Color Base Opaque Coating
    Use Bicast-32 (antique-brown or dark-brown or a mix of both)

4. Secondary Color Transparent Coating
    Use Bicast-76 (with matching base coat color).

5. Gloss Topcoating
    Use BicastTop-76G

6. Topcoat Booster
    Use Crosslinker-25

Roger Koh
    www.LeatherDoctor.com
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 08-08-2013 at 02:26 PM.

Thread Information