Thread: 2005 Ford King Ranch Leather Seat, I think I ruined using Leatherique – any advice?

Default 2005 Ford King Ranch Leather Seat, I think I ruined using Leatherique – any advice?

I'm pretty PO'ed so bare with me. I'll try not to curse.

I spent the almost $90 on the 32 oz kit and after it arrived, was pretty surprised at the lame instructions.

The kit comes with this really hard bristled brush but the directions make no mention of this brush or what you're supposed to do with it. They do mention using a paint brush or a soft bristled brush to apply the oil but nothing about the really hard bristle brush they include.

I started on my passengers seat and applied liberally. I applied 3+ coats on the entire seat. I wasn't getting the desired shiny caramel brown look so I figured I'd try scuffing the leather with that hard bristled brush. BIG MISTAKE. It did open the pores of the leather but now the seat has fine scratches all over it and is like a suede leather instead of a shiny smooth surface that I started with and hoped to keep. Your butt no longer slides on the leather. It's planted where it lands. It's like sitting on grip tape.

My passengers seat is now a splotchy and patchy DARK BROWN color and it feels & looks like suede. All the scratches that were hidden are now darker and very pronounced.

It is a completely different seat now and looks nothing like the untouched drivers seat. The longer it dries, the worse it looks. It's been 3-4 days drying now and it looks horrible. I even put a hairdryer on it to warm it up even more but that didn't help.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next? Do I perform the same work on the drivers seat so at least it matches the passengers seat... then both seats will look like CRAP OR do I try to find a like new, passengers seat from another 2005 F350 King Ranch with only 10k miles on it?

Autogeek or Leatherique needs to rewrite the vague leatherique instructions before anyone else ruins their expensive Ford King Ranch leather. I really think a caution should be printed on the bottle for King Ranch owners.

I show pics of my untreated drivers seat and of the treated Leatherique'd passengers seat.

Name:  P1060761.jpg
Views: 5229
Size:  62.6 KBName:  P1060762.jpg
Views: 12325
Size:  71.1 KBName:  P1060764.jpg
Views: 9588
Size:  95.3 KBName:  P1060770.jpg
Views: 7385
Size:  57.7 KBName:  P1060771.jpg
Views: 4522
Size:  31.6 KB
    Last edited by don; 07-08-2013 at 09:46 AM.

Here is my recommendation to restore the seat:

1) Products that you have used has to be completely remove to reduce the darkening effect.
    2) The suede surface is restored by using a surface leather sealer to smooth out the scratches, thereafter.
    3) The smooth surface of the finishes is restore by applying a non-stick, rub-resistant protector.

The sequence of the entire process will include these steps.

#1. Apply Degreaser-2.2 and agitate with a horsehair detailing brushes, the product has to follow the entry routes of the unwanted oil into the leather structure. Emulsified oils is removed by rinsing with Rinse-3.0. This degreasing system will lightens up the appearance when dry.

#2. Leather rejuvenating to soften the leather when dry is recommended as some natural fat and oil may be removed during the degreasing process as well as the unwanted oils. The softening of the leather is accomplished by Hydrator-3.3 follows with Fatliquor-5.0.

#3. When the “splotchy and patchy DARK BROWN color” is completely removed, the suede scuff marks are repair by using a leather surface sealer to restore the uneven absorption rate of the leather and also restore the smooth skin of the leather.

#4. A topcoat is recommended to go over the scuff repairs, rather to the entire seat.

#5. The smoothness of the leather surface is restore with Protector-B+.

I will be glad to walk you through when you are ready.

Roger Koh
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

Recommended products will follow. . .

Products mentioned information:

You may start with this leather-safe Kit A3 specially design for aniline leathers and add-on other mentioned products.

Name:  a20791c13cfefa6ce71bc3_m.JPG
Views: 4618
Size:  85.7 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit A3 – Aniline Leather Care Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit A3, aniline leather care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping leathers at their highest level of appearance, maintaining its pH chemistry integrity, enhancing their suppleness and prevents premature ageing. Leathers that faced the sun, closed to fireplace and heaters dries out the fat and oil that keeps it supple sooner than the non-heat exposed areas. The diminishing of the fat and oil through evaporation results in the leather fibers being stick closer together that results in stiffness and when flexed during used will lead to cracks. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to plumps the stick together fibers prior to fat and oil replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and strong. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness and cracking. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced with friction noise reduction. This is preventable with a rub-resistant Protector-B+ that imparts a natural buttery-feel. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Cleaner-3.8 follows by Rinse-3.0 to the bare body contact areas like headrest and armrest helps reduce greasy soiling build-up. Restorative cleaning and occasional dye stains removal from new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-4.4. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system.

Name:  a20791812d01990ba3ceb0_m.jpg
Views: 4490
Size:  40.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Degreaser-2.2
    Leather Doctor® Degreaser-2.2 is a pH 2.2 leather-safe waterbased degreaser with dye bleeding control. It is design for degreasing leather of penetrated oil, grease and sweat stains from skin, and hair contact, especially the headrest and armrest of upholstery, collar and cuffs of garment, handles of bag including steering wheel. It works best in conjunction with Rinse-3.0 to rinse emulsified soiling or Acidifier-2.0 for rinsing, bleeding control and pH balancing sweaty contamination from leather denaturing into rawhide. This universal leather degreaser is for all leather types including the common pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck and suede.

Leather Doctor Rinse-3.0

Leather Doctor® Rinse-3.0 is a pH 3.0 waterbased leather-safe universal rinse for all leather types that include pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck and suede. It is to removes suspended soiling by towel extraction while neutralizing harmful alkaline residues and charging the protein fiber ionic positive to increase the attraction between the ionic negative leather constituent like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor.

Leather Doctor Hydrator-3.3

Leather Doctor® Hydrator-3.3 is a waterbased pH 3.3 leather-safe hydrator. It is a fatliquor preconditioner with multi functional abilities. Surface application is primary to check for even surface tension free of blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing. Structural application will require saturating to an optimum level with moisture oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
    The multi functional abilities include:
    a) to check for surface tension for an even appearance free from blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
    b) To plumps, relaxes and separates crushed, shrunk and stick together fibrils for manipulating away-unwanted creases and wrinkles.
    c) To rectify alkaline overexposure areas by facilitating colloidal water movement to redistribute the leather constituents from surrounding areas.
    d) To activate the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure for color refreshing.
    e) To facilitates colloidal water movement within the inter-fibrillary spaces for wicking foreign soiling particulates to resurface.
    f) To stabilize, pH balance and charge the protein fiber below its iso-electric point (pI) ionic positive to hydrogen bond with the ionic negative fatliquor more effectively. This universal Hydrator-3.3 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Leather Doctor Fatliquor-5.0

Leather Doctor® Fatliquor-5.0, a micro emulsion of fat, oil and water is an anionic charged pH 5.0 fatliquor for rejuvenating all leather types. It relaxes coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles enhance suppleness and prevent cracking. It softens the leather with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility, while enhancing its rip tensile strength greatly. It is for replenishing the original fat and oil that diminishes thru sun-bleaching, ageing, heat and alkaline overexposure or cleaning. On application, the water-encased molecule breaks free when hydrogen bond attraction takes place between the fat and oil with the protein fiber. The excess free water content wicks out leaving a breathing space behind for leather natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness from easily collapsing into creases and wrinkles during stress or flex, while the oil lubricates the fibers so that they slide over one another smoothly like millions of inter-connecting hinges. Thus helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing. This universal Fatliquor-5.0 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Name:  a20791b12d25a93e842e74_m.jpg
Views: 4544
Size:  50.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Adhesor-73

Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73 is an auxiliary for refinishing pigmented, aniline, bicast and simulated leathers. This is a waterbased compact resin adhesion promoter to ensure proper sealing and adhesion prior to color coating. Also used after Wax Effect-8.6 prior to topcoat application.

Name:  a20791913fc19ad6312825_m.JPG
Views: 4460
Size:  97.4 KB
    Leather Doctor AnilineTop-21
    Leather Doctor® AnilineTop-21 is available in four luster level gloss (G), matte (M), and waxy-matte (W) and natural (N).
    AnilineTop-21G, gloss luster is the most commonly used for aniline leathers and is the strongest among the range. This is a waterbased polyurethane topcoat that is lightfast and non-yellowing. It has excellent flow and levelling properties, recoatable and forms a flexible film coat that gives good performing results from friction wear. Matching non-stick, rub-resistant protection is to use the buttery-feel leather-scented Protector-B+ or the scentless Protector-B.
    AnilineTop-21M, matte luster is used to match original luster or in a mix with gloss to produce a satin luster. This is a waterbased polyurethane topcoat that is lightfast and non-yellowing. It has excellent flow and leveling properties, recoatable and forms a flexible film coat that gives good performing results from friction wear. Matching non-stick, rub-resistant protection is to use the buttery-feel leather-scented Protector-B+ or the scentless Protector-B.

Leather Doctor Protector-B+
    Leather Doctor® Protector-B+, a buttery-feel with a classic leather scent is design for pigmented, aniline and nubuck oil pull-up leather types.*This is a non-film forming, non-stick, rub-resistant protector that enhances a soft natural tactile feel for imparting a breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling and preventing the too common pesky ballpoint from ever ready rolling out its nasty ink.*Moreover, for helping to release those tenacious blue jeans dye-transfer stains obviously on light colored leathers easily.*Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch; scuff and abrasion with reduce friction squeaks.

Roger thanks for your response. It sounds like a lot of work and the end result will likely be the seat still looking radically different than the untouched drivers seat... would you agree?

Is there someone you trust and work closely with in the Albany NY area or even all of upstate NY... that you could recommend to work on my leather interior?

I just don't want to screw up my interior any further attempting repairs myself.
    Last edited by don; 07-09-2013 at 04:19 AM.

If you would send the console cover to me, I will restore it for you.

It does not matter who does it, it is the product system that one follows.

What do you think?

Roger
    www.LeatherDoctor.com

I'm more concerned with the seat but... Sure, I can do that. Can you give me a time frame a cost for the console?

Thanks.

When the console is restored to your satisfaction, you can follow the simple steps I mentioned above or get someone else do it, or you may consider shipping the seat to me later as well.

Will also recommend how to match the two front seat that they look similar.

Will commence work once the item arrives.

No charges for this sample work, you pay your return shipping only.

Roger
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 07-09-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Koh View Post
    When the console is restored to your satisfaction, you can follow the simple steps I mentioned above or get someone else do it, or you may consider shipping the seat to me later as well.

Roger
    [email protected]
    That sounds like a plan. Is the address you'd like me to ship to on your website?

thanks Roger.

PS - leatherique did not return my voice mail or email. I called them again today and got a well spoken but very snooty lady who started reeling off this speech that you could tell she's said 1000 times before... about "how great leatherique is, how 1000's of King Ranch owners use it and love it and how it's just a secret mix of oils for fine leather etc etc etc." She didn't want to see the pictures of my seat. She said "leatherique couldn't possibly have done anything bad to my king ranch seat. They've been in business for 50+ years and it's a wonderful product etc etc etc." She basically hung up on me so I didn't get a chance to ask her about the confusing and not so well written instructions.

Roger
    [email protected]
    Roger thanks. I will send it out today.

Products mentioned information:

You may start with this leather-safe Kit A3 specially design for aniline leathers and add-on other mentioned products.

Name:  a20791c13cfefa6ce71bc3_m.JPG
Views: 4618
Size:  85.7 KB
    Leather Doctor Kit A3 – Aniline Leather Care Kit

Leather Doctor® Kit A3, aniline leather care kit is an innovative leather-safe (pH 3 - 5) system designed for keeping leathers at their highest level of appearance, maintaining its pH chemistry integrity, enhancing their suppleness and prevents premature ageing. Leathers that faced the sun, closed to fireplace and heaters dries out the fat and oil that keeps it supple sooner than the non-heat exposed areas. The diminishing of the fat and oil through evaporation results in the leather fibers being stick closer together that results in stiffness and when flexed during used will lead to cracks. Periodic use of Hydrator-3.3 to plumps the stick together fibers prior to fat and oil replenishing with Fatliquor-5.0 will keep the leather supple and strong. Thus, reduce the premature ageing of the leather against stiffness and cracking. The surface wear of the leather is greatly reduced with friction noise reduction. This is preventable with a rub-resistant Protector-B+ that imparts a natural buttery-feel. Periodic cleaning and rinsing with Cleaner-3.8 follows by Rinse-3.0 to the bare body contact areas like headrest and armrest helps reduce greasy soiling build-up. Restorative cleaning and occasional dye stains removal from new blue jeans is accomplished with Prep-4.4. Note that the mentioned product suffix number denotes its pH value in this leather-safe holistic care system.

Name:  a20791812d01990ba3ceb0_m.jpg
Views: 4490
Size:  40.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Degreaser-2.2
    Leather Doctor® Degreaser-2.2 is a pH 2.2 leather-safe waterbased degreaser with dye bleeding control. It is design for degreasing leather of penetrated oil, grease and sweat stains from skin, and hair contact, especially the headrest and armrest of upholstery, collar and cuffs of garment, handles of bag including steering wheel. It works best in conjunction with Rinse-3.0 to rinse emulsified soiling or Acidifier-2.0 for rinsing, bleeding control and pH balancing sweaty contamination from leather denaturing into rawhide. This universal leather degreaser is for all leather types including the common pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck and suede.

Leather Doctor Rinse-3.0

Leather Doctor® Rinse-3.0 is a pH 3.0 waterbased leather-safe universal rinse for all leather types that include pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck and suede. It is to removes suspended soiling by towel extraction while neutralizing harmful alkaline residues and charging the protein fiber ionic positive to increase the attraction between the ionic negative leather constituent like the tanning agent, dyestuff and fatliquor.

Leather Doctor Hydrator-3.3

Leather Doctor® Hydrator-3.3 is a waterbased pH 3.3 leather-safe hydrator. It is a fatliquor preconditioner with multi functional abilities. Surface application is primary to check for even surface tension free of blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing. Structural application will require saturating to an optimum level with moisture oozing out when gently pressed between thumb and fingers.
    The multi functional abilities include:
    a) to check for surface tension for an even appearance free from blotchiness prior to fatliquor replenishing.
    b) To plumps, relaxes and separates crushed, shrunk and stick together fibrils for manipulating away-unwanted creases and wrinkles.
    c) To rectify alkaline overexposure areas by facilitating colloidal water movement to redistribute the leather constituents from surrounding areas.
    d) To activate the dormant dyestuff within the leather structure for color refreshing.
    e) To facilitates colloidal water movement within the inter-fibrillary spaces for wicking foreign soiling particulates to resurface.
    f) To stabilize, pH balance and charge the protein fiber below its iso-electric point (pI) ionic positive to hydrogen bond with the ionic negative fatliquor more effectively. This universal Hydrator-3.3 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Leather Doctor Fatliquor-5.0

Leather Doctor® Fatliquor-5.0, a micro emulsion of fat, oil and water is an anionic charged pH 5.0 fatliquor for rejuvenating all leather types. It relaxes coarse breaks, creases and wrinkles enhance suppleness and prevent cracking. It softens the leather with stretchability, compressibility and flexibility, while enhancing its rip tensile strength greatly. It is for replenishing the original fat and oil that diminishes thru sun-bleaching, ageing, heat and alkaline overexposure or cleaning. On application, the water-encased molecule breaks free when hydrogen bond attraction takes place between the fat and oil with the protein fiber. The excess free water content wicks out leaving a breathing space behind for leather natural transpiration. The fat plumps the leather with fullness from easily collapsing into creases and wrinkles during stress or flex, while the oil lubricates the fibers so that they slide over one another smoothly like millions of inter-connecting hinges. Thus helps to keep leather at its optimum physical performance and prevent premature ageing. This universal Fatliquor-5.0 is for all leather types including pigmented, aniline, vachetta, nubuck, suede, hair-on-hide and woolskin.

Name:  a20791b12d25a93e842e74_m.jpg
Views: 4544
Size:  50.6 KB
    Leather Doctor Adhesor-73

Leather Doctor® Adhesor-73 is an auxiliary for refinishing pigmented, aniline, bicast and simulated leathers. This is a waterbased compact resin adhesion promoter to ensure proper sealing and adhesion prior to color coating. Also used after Wax Effect-8.6 prior to topcoat application.

Name:  a20791913fc19ad6312825_m.JPG
Views: 4460
Size:  97.4 KB
    Leather Doctor AnilineTop-21
    Leather Doctor® AnilineTop-21 is available in four luster level gloss (G), matte (M), and waxy-matte (W) and natural (N).
    AnilineTop-21G, gloss luster is the most commonly used for aniline leathers and is the strongest among the range. This is a waterbased polyurethane topcoat that is lightfast and non-yellowing. It has excellent flow and levelling properties, recoatable and forms a flexible film coat that gives good performing results from friction wear. Matching non-stick, rub-resistant protection is to use the buttery-feel leather-scented Protector-B+ or the scentless Protector-B.
    AnilineTop-21M, matte luster is used to match original luster or in a mix with gloss to produce a satin luster. This is a waterbased polyurethane topcoat that is lightfast and non-yellowing. It has excellent flow and leveling properties, recoatable and forms a flexible film coat that gives good performing results from friction wear. Matching non-stick, rub-resistant protection is to use the buttery-feel leather-scented Protector-B+ or the scentless Protector-B.

Leather Doctor Protector-B+
    Leather Doctor® Protector-B+, a buttery-feel with a classic leather scent is design for pigmented, aniline and nubuck oil pull-up leather types.*This is a non-film forming, non-stick, rub-resistant protector that enhances a soft natural tactile feel for imparting a breathable barrier essentially to shield the detrimental effects of sticky soiling and preventing the too common pesky ballpoint from ever ready rolling out its nasty ink.*Moreover, for helping to release those tenacious blue jeans dye-transfer stains obviously on
    led lighting colored leathers easily.*Its natural buttery-feel protection increases the leather resistance to wet and dry rubs, thus reduce stretch; scuff and abrasion with reduce friction squeaks.
    it seems like very effective products are mentioned in the post.. i was searching for good leather cleaning products so I will try these now.. Thanks again
    Last edited by NoelWalters; 07-19-2013 at 10:00 PM.

Wow! Don, thank you for your post. I am in the same exact position. I bough leatherique to restore my King Ranch seats (started with my passenger seat) and boy does it look worse! I'm going to definitely post something on their website. I am now in the position of trying to 'fix' the problems of leatherique as well as try to restore both my seats. Wish I had found this website first. I really need to know how your project is going so I don't make any more mistakes. Any pictures you could provide to show how things are going would be most appreciated. I really don't want to try another approach until I know it is going to work. Thanks!

Stealth sorry to hear this. If you google 2 words... "leatherique ruined" you'll see quite a few people who are not happy with the results. We are not just a couple of unlucky, stupid guys who didn't read the directions and misused the product.

Post up some pics of your seats before leatherique and after? Or at least AFTER.

Leatherique is horrible on ford king rang leather. We know that NOW. Mr Koh, generously offered to restore my console cover if I sent it to him. When I realized he's in western Canada, I decided to hold off for a bit.

I have done absolutely nothing to my leather seat/s since this fiasco. Everytime I drive my truck and look over the passengers seat, I think about how nonchalant & cavalier the leatherique owner and his wife were about my issue. I doubt you'll have any better luck.

After the semi public incedent on a couple different websites, leatherique posted this on their facebook page...

"Folks PLEASE READ THE INSTRUCTIONS on the Papers that come WITH your order. AGAIN someone has used the Rejuvinator Oil on UN-TREATED leather and is WONDERING why it is darker. It is because THERE IS NOTHING ON THE LEATHER as far as a finish.
    It says to TEST the products BEFORE USING not slap it on and hope it works. There are BUZZ WORDS like NUBUCK, NAKED, NATURAL that translate to DO NOT PUT ANYTHING ON ME since I have NO PROTECTION.
    Of course this person will post all kinds of things about how ROTTEN our products are and how it RUINED their leather.
    We can not fix anything when people do not READ the instructions that is why we wrote them.
    The surface will return to normal, MAYBE a little darker after it dries 100%."

I read and re-read the vague Leatherique instructions a few times. Evidently, it's all my fault that leatherique ruined my leather seat. Had the bottle or instructions mentioned any of those "buzz words", I wouldn't have "slapped it on and hoped it works". I can assure you that my "surface" did not "return to normal, maybe a little darker after the leatherique dried" It's been weeks now and it looks worse than ever.

I am glad that Mr Koh allows an honest discussion of the leatherique product relating to king ranch leather here on his forum. Anywhere else I posted about it, the posts were quickly removed by the SALES staff. I wonder why?
    Last edited by don; 08-06-2013 at 07:05 AM.

You may want to watch how Kevin fix his King Ranch leather problems in this link:

http://www.leathercleaningrestoratio...at-restoration

Thread Information