Thread: Shearling bleeding black dye.

Default Shearling bleeding black dye.

Hello,
    I'm hoping someone here has advice. I have an issue with a pair of shearling lined shoes that bleed black dye on my feet. The shoe is Birkenstock Blair oiled leather shearling lined clog. I've considered dampening the shearling with vinegar and placing the shoes to dry in front of a heater in attempt to set the dye. Before errantly proceeding, I wanted to request advice from anyone who has experience dealing with a similar issue. Obviously, I cannot submerged the shoes to wash the shearling. Thanks in advance.

Liz

>>> I have an issue with a pair of shearling lined shoes that bleed black dye on my feet. The shoe is Birkenstock Blair oiled leather shearling lined clog.

Am I right to understand that the bleeding comes from the black-lined shearling?

>>> I've considered dampening the shearling with vinegar and placing the shoes to dry in front of a heater in attempt to set the dye.

Acidifier 2.0 by Leather Doctor has a pH value of 2.0, which will help keep the dye from bleeding. Not advisable to dry it in front of a heater, leave it for natural drying away from a heat source, otherwise the fatliquor (fat and oil) from the leather becomes too dry.

>>> Before errantly proceeding, I wanted to request advice from anyone who has experience dealing with a similar issue. Obviously, I cannot submerged the shoes to wash the shearling. Thanks in advance.

The recommended procedure is as follows:

1* Brush and vacuum.

2* Spray Acidifier 2.0, brush and wipe with a white dry absorbent towel, and change sides until the towel shows free of dye. Repeat as necessary.

3* Brush and leave to natural dry.

Name:  Acidifier-2.0_250F__40359.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  21.1 KB
    https://leatherdoctor.com/leather-acidifier-2-0/

Name:  rogerIcon.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  4.8 KB
    Roger Koh
    Leather Care System Formulator
    Consultant / Practitioner / Instructor / Coach
    web: www.leatherdoctor.com