Thread: How to differentiate between Suede and Nubuck?

Default How to differentiate between Suede and Nubuck?

Hello all, I have been reading on here for a while but this is my first post. I own and operate a mobile detailing company here in Houston. I work on everything from Toyotas to Ferraris, the majority of my clientele is the higher end though. I have a client with a Ferrari 458 Spyder and the interior is, what I am guessing, suede. There are a lot of terms on here when I am reading, that I do not understand. I don't really know the difference between any of the leathers out there. To me, its either leather that is smooth, perforated, or suede/nubuck. I never really used any proper products for the interior leather, I didn't buy over the counter crap, but it was either Zaino or Leather Masters products. Now I really want to get into proper care for leather and how to clean, maintain, and restore it. I am not sure if I want to get into actual restoration such as dyeing, fixing rips etc.

Anyway, is there a place I can go to learn about the differences in these leathers and how to tell by looking at them? I also wanted to ask about "coated" leather. There is a lot of talk on the detailing forums on how its pointless to condition most of the leather on cars that are out there now because there is a coating on them. I hear it is actually worse to condition them, because it will deteriorate the coating and lead to premature wear. Is this correct?

Oh another one to go with suede, and nubuck is alcantara. How would I tell?

Well I found the thread on how to tell apart the different types of leathers. Helped a little but not too much hahaha. Can I just ask what cars have what kind of leather? lol

The reverse of all smooth leather is suede.

Nubuck is the smooth grain side that is buff off and in finer than suede also known as velvet suede, which also has the reverse side as suede.

Alcantara and Microsuede is the same thing also known as faux suede from synthetic fibers.

Quote Originally Posted by mobilejay View Post
    Well I found the thread on how to tell apart the different types of leathers. Helped a little but not too much hahaha. Can I just ask what cars have what kind of leather? lol
    All cars will have leathers from the bovine family.

The vast majority of leathers are pigmented in opaque colors and only a few of the Ford King Ranch has aniline leathers to give a saddle look.

All perforated leathers you see are pigmented.

Thank you for that bit of knowledge.

Thread Information