Thread: Products to repair a sticky, Bicast leather sofa - the entire seating area are now like Velcro, I hope we can save it.

Default Products to repair a sticky, Bicast leather sofa - the entire seating area are now like Velcro, I hope we can save it.

I saw a post online that recommended your products to repair a sticky, leather sofa that I own. It's like Velcro! Where can I buy your products?

Thanks for the quick reply. I have attached photos, and I'm not sure how clear they are. You may not be able to tell but the damage is mainly on the area where people sit. The backs cushions aren't that bad, maybe not bad at all.

The entire seating area is now like Velcro. As you get up you can actually hear a ripping sound as your clothes leave the sofa. And the problem has spread to the entire sofa. You can see in one of the pictures that the pillows on the sofa, without any real pressure, are even making marks in the leather.

I am not sure if the sofa is bonded leather or not. For some reason, I have a feeling that it is not. It is made by a company caller IDP out of Italy.

I am also not sure why we suddenly started having this problem. I have a feeling that someone used pledge on the sofa. For years though I have been pedantic about using lexol. Now I just dust it because it looks so terrible.

Thanks for your help! I hope we can save it.

Larissa Dooley

Name:  20130503_084901_resized_1.jpg
Views: 4086
Size:  533.2 KB

Name:  20130503_084807_resized.jpg
Views: 3390
Size:  997.5 KB

Name:  20130503_084837_resized.jpg
Views: 2645
Size:  492.1 KB

Name:  20130503_085159_resized_1.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  585.1 KB

>>> I am not sure if the sofa is bonded leather or not. For some reason, I have a feeling that it is not. It is made by a company caller IDP out of Italy.
    From picture #1, this leather is identified as laminated leather or Bicast, bonded leather is of another construction type seldom made into furnishing but mostly as book covers.

From a combination of reasons, why the finishing has deteriorated often associated with Bicast leathers than any other finishes. It needs refinishing with BicastTop-76G with a 10% Crosslinker-25 to eliminate the problem. Thereafter a non-stick, rub-resistant, buttery-feel, leather-scented Protector-B+ or scentless Protector-B periodic care will retard the sticky reoccurrence.

Prior to a new topcoat refinishing, foreign contamination like lint and other fabric material, need to be removed. This is done during the wet preparation using Degreaser-2.2 with Eraser-4 to remove foreign material and sanding to reduce undulating effect follows with Acidifier-2.0.

When the surface is free of foreign materials and smooth to the feel of hand, it is ready be to topcoat refinished.

The kit will start you off the right direction and it is best only to do one of the worst sections for an evaluation before proceeding to complete the rest.

Products mentioned are found in this Leather Doctor® Kit B7 – Bicast Leather Sticky Refinishing Kit.

Name:  B7 copy.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  3.28 MB

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Thread Information