Hi Roger,

this is another chanel bag of patent leather material with stains :

Name:  side-chanel-bag 001.jpg
Views: 16615
Size:  2.78 MB
    Name:  side-chanel-bag 003.jpg
Views: 17193
Size:  2.90 MB

cause of the above stains was due to transfer of pigments from the red paper wrapper

Name:  side-chanel-bag 002.jpg
Views: 17418
Size:  2.87 MB

cause of the stains in the last picture is likely due to the lining of the flap of lambskin material.

Can you advise what can be done to remove those stains?

I will post all my bag issues each on separate thread before consolidating the product order to save on shipping cost

regards
    tryphena

Tryphena,

If you see these dye stains carefully somehow they does not remains on the surface, but seems to being suck into the depth of the finish that becomes unreachable with chemical penetrating, lubricating and suspending treatment.

On other finishes, it has proven to be easily removed with chemical action.

The only possible treatment is by light waves to penetrate the finishes but may take an unknown time for an effective result.

Another consideration is the possibility of refinishing it, by camouflaging the red and maroon stains with color matching the lining using aniline transparent dyestuff, and top coating with a gloss finish.

This color refinishing to match one or two tone darker than the lining will put your mind as ease of possible reoccurrence may be a better option rather than merely depending on the removal of existing stain.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 04-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.

[QUOTE=Roger Koh;13511]Tryphena,

If you see these dye stains carefully somehow they does not remains on the surface, but seems to being suck into the depth of the finish that becomes unreachable with chemical penetrating, lubricating and suspending treatment.

On other finishes, it has proven to be easily removed with chemical action.

The only possible treatment is by light waves to penetrate the finishes but may take an unknown time for an effective result.
    --> light waves treatment using a machine?

Another consideration is the possibility of refinishing it, by camouflaging the red and maroon stains with color matching the lining using aniline transparent dyestuff, and top coating with a gloss finish.

This color refinishing to match one or two tone darker than the lining will put your mind as ease of possible reoccurrence may be a better option rather than merely depending on the removal of existing stain.
    --> i will opt for refinishing method to cover up the stains. 1 clarification. To color match the exterior salmon-like color, how would a transparent dye help? Any mixing required? I would need to match as close as possible so that I dont have to coat the chain which can be very very tedious!

what are the products I need for refinishing? Just 1)aniline transparent dye + 2)top coat?

great thanks! I will post with result once I start working on the bag.

regards
    tryphena

>>>1 clarification. To color match the exterior salmon-like color, how would a transparent dye help?
    The “coating” transparent dyestuff would be slightly darker of the same color range than the stain from the lining in order to camouflage it.
    Transparent works like water color and each coating will also saturate and build up the intensity of the hue as well.

>>>Any mixing required? I would need to match as close as possible so that I dont have to coat the chain which can be very very tedious!
    Note the color is to be match darker than the lining color.
    The leather strip is removed from the chain when doing the refinishing ( I will give more details how this is done).

>>>what are the products I need for refinishing? Just 1)aniline transparent dye + 2)top coat?
    1.] Wet Preparation:
    Degreaser-2.2 > Rinse-3.0

2.] Dry Preparation:
    Eraser-4 > 2000grit sanding

3.] Adhesion Coating:
    Adhesor-73

4.] Dye Coating:
    Aniline-76 (custom match)

5.] Top Coating:
    AnilineTop-76G (gloss)

6.] Non-stick, Rub-resistant Protection:
    Protector-B+

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

Oh no, that would mean that I have to coat the leather on the chain as well for uniformity. Wow, I never thought it's possible to remove the leather strap from the chain. Hope putting it back won't be as challenging.

Is dry preparation method suitable for patent leather? Can patent leather be "sand"?

Does any of the kit contain most of the products recommended here? Believe it will be more economical than individual item purchase?

>>>Oh no, that would mean that I have to coat the leather on the chain as well for uniformity. Wow, I never thought it's possible to remove the leather strap from the chain. Hope putting it back won't be as challenging.
    The anchoring stitches have to be removed and replaced and if you cannot find the same color thread, easier to use transparent thread or fishing line. My color change recommendation is logical as the lining flap will be a continuous problem if you retain the “salmon-like” color.

>>>Is dry preparation method suitable for patent leather? Can patent leather be "sand"?
    Sanding is recommended to etch (not to remove) the smooth surface for better anchorage prior to Adhesor-73.

>>>Does any of the kit contain most of the products recommended here? Believe it will be more economical than individual item purchase?
    Most products mentioned are found in this Kit A7.cl with only a choice of one color, add-on colors may be necessary to give you the perfect match. Color close is Rubine, Red-Brown may camouflage the stain better and all colors are intermixable to your satisfaction, test it out prior to application.

Name:  Kit A7.cl.JPG
Views: 10834
Size:  2.42 MB
    Leather Doctor® Kit A7.cl – Aniline Leather Dye Refinishing Kit
    Last edited by Roger Koh; 05-02-2013 at 10:09 AM.

Thread Information