Thread: Chanel - How to patch up holes on leather

Default Chanel - How to patch up holes on leather

Hi Roger,

1)what are the products needed to patch the holes on this chanel hand bag? Its a vintage and most likely lambskin.
    Name:  side-chanel-bag.jpg
Views: 3100
Size:  2.88 MB

2)whats the best way to identify the type of leather? is vinyl the same as patent? I know there is patent leather. is there such thing as vinyl leather?

Hope to learn more from you on leather handling and treatment. This forum is awesome!

Thank you for your time.

best regards

>>>1)what are the products needed to patch the holes on this chanel hand bag? Its a vintage and most likely lambskin.

Products required to patch such holes are Bond-3D, Bond-7A and Patch-4S.
    Procedure is done in the sequence:
    Tips:
    Prior to the repairs it is best to clean and rejuvenate the leather for softness when dry with Hydrator-3.3 > Fatliquor-5.0.
    1.] A slightly larger than the hole size is cut from Patch-4S.
    2.] Insert the Patch-4S into the hole and bonded with the grain facing out.
    3.] The edge is further filled with Bond-3D and work out to smoothen it seamlessly with Bond-7A.
    4.] The natural lambskin vachetta color of the leather is then stains and coated with Aniline-21 to saturate and Aniline-76 to coat to level up the black intensity of the original color.
    5.] When the desired color saturation is achieve, topcoat gloss Aniline-21G (gloss) will further match up the luster of this bag.

>>>2) what is the best way to identify the type of leather?

By Origin:
    The origin of leather may come from all living being with skin and it may be animal, reptile, bird or fish.
    The most common from animal is the bovine family, commonly known as cow.
    Skins are identified from size and hair follicles.
    A hair-on-hide may be easily identified example a Zebra, but you also have prints that look like tiger on cowhide.
    Alligator and crocodile are the common reptile skin and easily identify by sight, same as snakeskin, like python by pattern of skin.
    The common bird is from Ostrich with pattern of goose pimple.
    Fish may be from shark or shagreen again by sight.

By Tanning Process:
    There are numerous types of tanning and all produces leather.
    These are identified easily by color from raw, when they are dye through it makes identification by color more tricky.
    The texture of the leather will also tell the tanning types if there are of the same thickness. With Chrome-tanned the softest and the Vegetable-tanned the stiffest assuming they have the same percentage of fatliquoring on them.

By Finishes:
    There are many reasons for finishes.
    One of them is aesthetic.
    When leather is used as unfinished, they are typical the brown type popularly known as “Vachetta” and the white type popularly made into baseball and high-end fashion bags.
    The aniline dyed leather uses transparent dyestuff to allow the beauty of the skin to show through, an example would be the above Chanel lambskin bag.
    Majority of the leather would use an opaque pigment to conceal the blemishes of the leather.
    Nubuck and Suede are aniline dye through and may have a translucent finish to conceal some blemishes.

>>>Is vinyl the same as patent?

Vinyl is manmade from PVC.
    Patent is leather with a high-gloss mirror-like finishes.

>>>I know there is patent leather. is there such thing as vinyl leather?
    Vinyl leather is simulated leather or simply imitation leather.

Roger Koh
    [email protected]

You certainly live up to your name! Appreciate greatly the detailed explanation. I am sold!!!

Its 2am here and i will confirm the order with you tomorrow. I will post with results once I start working on the bag with the products

Best regards
    Tryphena

Hi Roger,
    I will start on this "patching" project and keep the dye job for the patent leather to the last. Do you have a kit containing most of the recommended products here?

On a separate note, I have a few queries :
    1) for bag that has been dyed, is it still possible to restore the softness of the bag?
    2) what's the best way to remove dyed color from a bag which has been coated twice?

I will confirm my product order after this.

Regards
    Tryphena

Missed out last question.

3) how to prevent fading/color transfer after a dye job?

>>>1) for bag that has been dyed, is it still possible to restore the softness of the bag?
    Yes! Softness and Strength is restored with Fatliquor-5.0, after preconditioned with Hydrator-3.3.
    Both products has to penetrate the finishes to reach the thickness of the leather.
    Depending on how penetrable the new finish is, if Hydrator-3.3 can penetrate and soften it, fatliquoring will soften it when dry thereafter.
    Hydrating may take up to 72hours to relax effectively and separates the stick together fibers.

>>>2) what's the best way to remove dyed color from a bag which has been coated twice?
    Use Stripper-2.3 to strip unwanted finishes with help of horsehair Brush-1 / Eraser-4.

>>>3) how to prevent fading/color transfer after a dye job?
    Fading resistant is build-in in the finish itself with different degree fading, generally dyestuff will fades faster than pigment.
    Color transfer or crocking or bleeding is control or preventable by sealing the dyestuff with topcoat with either the AnilineTop-21 range for fine aniline or AnilineTop-27 design for especially heavy duty furnishing and auto-seats.

>>>Do you have a kit containing most of the recommended products here?
    Mentioned products can be picked from this Leather Repair & Refinishing Training Kit-RR8.
    You may also need a Spatula-6 tool for the (inserting, compressing, smoothening) detailing repairs.

Name:  065[1].jpg
Views: 2483
Size:  77.8 KB
    Leather Repair & Refinishing Training Kit-RR8

My order list getting longer and longer

Few more queries for my friends Chanel bag collection :
    1)would fatliquor and hydrator be sufficient to add shine to vintage lambskin bag? Is there a need to end it with some sort of top coat for shine?
    2)for patent leather basic cleaning&maintenance, what is good to clean patent leather? Does patent leather need to be hydrated? How to add shine to patent leather?

Please recommend suitable products for above.

Thanks and all for now

Regards
    Tryphena
    3)

3$

>>>1) Would fatliquor and hydrator be sufficient to add shine to vintage lambskin bag?
    Hydrating and Fatliquoring is for below surface and not suppose to remain on the finishes.

>>>Is there a need to end it with some sort of top coat for shine?
    Luster of the finishes is adjusted with AnilineTop-21G for gloss and 21M for matte.

2) For patent leather basic cleaning & maintenance, what is good to clean patent leather?
    What is a good cleaning will depends on the severity of soiling and it ranges from Prep-7.7, Prep-4.4, Super Cleaner-4.9, Strong Cleaner-4.3, Cleaner-3.8 to Rinse-3.0. And there are also specialty cleaners for specific problems as shown below:

>>>Does patent leather need to be hydrated?
    Patent leather surfaces are non-absorbent, thus the only access to the leather structure thickness is by the stitching holes. A healthy leather stitching holes is a perfect round even in stressed and stretched areas, otherwise they becomes slanted or crack if fat and oil evaporated from these weak areas.

>>>How to add shine to patent leather?
    Soiling removal is the first step to restore shine, unless they are scratched or abraded that will need a urethane gloss topcoat for repairs.

The Cleaning range of products. . .
    Name:  LeatherCleaner7[1].jpg
Views: 1782
Size:  55.8 KB

The Specialty Cleaning range of products. . .
    Name:  LeatherSpecialtyCleaner[1].jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  42.0 KB

The Odor Cleaning range of products. . .
    Name:  LeatherDeodorizer[1].jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  55.1 KB

Thread Information